Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

gear to ski on dry surface

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,
I live in Australia where as you may know we have rather short snow seasons lasting at best three months and pretty poor quality snow. For the past few years I have been thinking how we could enjoy something that at least remotely resembles skiing and finally came up with a relatively simple design of skiing device that can carve on dry surface. I had earlier tried rolling tread based ski but it's quite demanding in terms of turning and hard with speed control. I guess in my younger years it would have been fun but I am a bit less crazy these days.

I spent quite a bit on patent applications and building prototypes but I am not sure if I should risk more funding to make a few more pairs (short series manufacturing is quite expensive). This brief video shows how it works. It seems to be pretty good for learners who can't wait for the snow in winter Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/6eiSip6J03Q

I would appreciate your feedback which would help me to make my mind whether I should try taking it further or just stop here and enjoy riding my prototype in preparation for the skiing season.[/url]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Before spending much more time and money I would suggest Googling for "roller skis" or "rollerskis" or "roller skiing" and any other variations that catch your mind.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adrian,
I am fully aware of roller ski, skikes, Herb carvers etc. and have done extensive search of existing products as well as patent data bases in the US, EU, Australia and a few other place for other dry surface ski gear ideas most of which have never been implemented. The difference between my gear and roller skis and alikes is that the latter have rigidly mounted wheels and do not turn without really forceful pivoting. The wheels in my device turn very easily when you lean on the edge even at low speed as can be seen in the video. The front and rear wheels turn in sync i.e. when the front turns it makes the rear turn in the opposite direction. My turning radius is about 1.5m and the gear is very stable in the turn. This allows for very good speed control and gives the sensation of carving. I can assure you that it's a completely different game.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From your first description I Understood you to have only examined tracked devices as used for (eg) grass skiing. Your video looked, to me, like a version of the roller skis that have just two wheels. Your second post gives a lot more background and, had I seen it first, I would not have made my suggestion.

Good luck with your endeavours.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you looked into any of the funding websites where you post up an idea and people offer investment if they believe it's a good idea???
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not yet. From my experience working in tech startups in the past it's very hard to get any funding unless you can demonstrate that whatever you want to make will have a good chance of selling. I have spoken to a few friends who ski and they said that they'd buy my gear if it was available as a commercial product but I am not sure if I can trust friends especially when they know that I have been quite passionate about skiing. Grass skiing had quite bad press in the past and is often pictured as an extreme sport. Having tried rolka grass skis myself I can definitely say that they are demanding. That was the reason that I started thinking about the problem of emulating carving skis with a better level of safety. After four years of on and off experimenting I finally came up with something that seems to do the job. Taking into account all the costs and time it's probably the most expensive dry surface ski in the world Very Happy but even if it stops here I'm still quite happy and enjoy ski-like experience while waiting for the snow.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It would be good to see some demos at higher speed with higher radius turns at higher gradient. I don't think your market is beginners but keen skiers looking to "remember" their technique over the summer months. Obviously this doesn't work if the movements are completely different.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm sourcing larger wheels on pneumatic tyres and will give it a shot on a longer grassy slope and at a higher speed. Concrete is rather unforgiving for this kind of testing. However, longer turns do no seem to be a problem. The ski has a spring based mechanism that I can make adjustable which would affect the way it turns i.e. more tension would lead to a larger turning radius. I am also thinking about adding another simple mechanism that could cause sliding of the rear wheel in very sharp and aggressive turns (it was suggested by a well known skiing instructor from Austria).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nosnowski, I'm sorry to say I have known several committed enthusiasts over the years who have tried a similar tack (variation on roller, or grass race skis) in the UK none have succeeded; if you merely want to amuse yourself and friends then OK, but as a business to make any money I would seriously advise against.

Some have gone on to think of the other route providing cross country routes through woods on artificial rubber tracks plus lube allowing normal kit to be used; others for Alpine, snow making kit for your local hill plus rope tows, one inspired businessman I knew when the weather was too warm for slopes would cover your pub roof with snow for a Christmas card look, (the rest of that story will remain untold) so it has all been tried. In the UK indoor snow was the answer, but that is not the question you are asking.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cynic,
I realise that many have tried before and I am not really staking too much on the idea. I have a pretty good job and am not really desperate to make big bucks out of it. Based on the extensive research that I have done I believe that from purely engineering point of view my idea is quite innovative and works better than anything that I have seen so far. The difference between now and even 10 years ago is the spread of the Internet i.e. even if it is a niche market product, the niche market is global. It would be nice if I could make a living out of it as after 20 years in IT, I have more passion for skiing than my regular job.

I could start manufacturing this gear within weeks with just small investment but the product will not be cheap and if it sells I'll just be braking even so in a way it would be a favour for the friend. To optimise the product and utimately lower its price point I'd need to invest quite a bit more which would not be without risk.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nosnowski wrote:
I would appreciate your feedback which would help me to make my mind whether I should try taking it further or just stop here and enjoy riding my prototype in preparation for the skiing season.[/url]

Harold Harb of "Harb Ski Systems" has been selling something like this for years called Harb Carvers.

And to be fair he has a better demo -
http://youtube.com/v/OGBUHt2YJUM
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

http://youtube.com/v/J06uSezGTOU
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FlyingStantoni, other than being attached to ski boots ( thus heavy) I don't see much functional difference from skates - which I would advocate as great summer ski replacements but using a rather different turning technique from skiing...?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy