Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waxing skis before storage

Poster: A snowHead
I'm no expert when it comes to pampering my planks but I have been watching a lot of "interesting" videos on youtube recently, and no suprrises, there is a lot of conflicting information out ther.

I have two main questions as I'm about to put my skis into hibernation for another year:

There is a lot of talk about giving the skis plenty of time to absorb wax after a hot waxing before scraping, so presumably if you hot wax then store, and only scrape & polish shortly before your next trip that would be advantageous (or at least not a problem)?

On a similar topic, I just watched a video by what looked like a very seasoned technician from Toko. He was adamant that you should clean any wax off of your edges before storing skis. His logic was that leaving it on was more likely to trap moisture etc. in than it was to exclude it, leading to oxidization and eventual rusting of the edges.

Discuss please...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can always adopt my tactic of leaving them festering in the bag then get them out the night before your first trip of next year to be greeted by a combination of brown edges and deathly white base. I'd leave the wax on in preference to that. Spyderjon will be along with the proper care regime.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I plaster all our boards and skis after our last trip every year then scrape and polish a week before going away next season, works fine for me. Partner said her skis were super slidey and my board was certainly a very slippy thing. Girls just shot off down the hill without saying anything. Got to be said I learned it all from you tube, the interweb and a little booklet from Holmenkol
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I must admit I don't bother. After our usual Easter trip I make sure they are completely dry before storing in an airy place, I find that clipping together can lead to a little rusting where the edges touch so I just store them loose. Any light rusting is easily removed with a gummy stone anyway. I then service them before the first trip of the winter usually in December.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do nothing and neither get white bases or rusty edges. If there is a tiny amount of surface rust then it'll come off pretty quickly either if you sharpen your edges and most definitely the first time you hit the piste. If you're getting loads of rust then you're storing the ski in the wrong environment (hint: warm puddles and sulfuric acid baths are not big nor clever for skis), storage wax will help then as it will prevent oxygen reaching the edges!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Or.... Just ski them while you're waiting for winter to return! Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wipe the edges with Zardoz Notwax before storing, it prevents rust forming.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meh,

No sulfuric acid baths in my office. The skis get better treatment than the kids - they're not allowed in here!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Holmenkol red don't scrape
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cynic,

does that include the edges?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Give them a good thick hot-wax and just stop there. Don't even bother scraping them if they are going into storage. The thick layer protects the base from dings and scrapes throughout the summer. It also helps coat the edges, protecting the whole lot from oxidation. The heat of the wax and iron is going to ensure any moisture is evapourated off. I wouldn't worry about trapping new moisture under the wax layer unless you're storing them in a sauna or something.

Do NOT, as I've heard suggested in the past (not in here I hasten to add), use vaseline to stop the edges rusting, as it will attach the polythene in the base.

FWIW, when I bought my new skis this year, I pulled my old Assault V8s out the garage to compare how skinny they were. The Assaults have lived in my garage for 7 years since I moved in, and with the execption of a little rust where the tips and tails touched, were absolutely fine.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i do what fatbob, does. I'd love to be more organised but wouldn't we all.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I usually service my skis after every trip so they are ready for the next one, but for the journey home I often put a rubon wax over the base which stops the edges rusting.

musher, Not sure that I would take the advice of anyone who says "leading to oxidization and eventual rusting of the edges." rusting is oxidisation. rust is iron oxide; there is no eventual about it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah I'm a disciple of the fatbob method myself.

Every time I look at my skis with no prospect of a ski trip coming up I get really sad, so I can't service them before storage... (Brilliant logic).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I hereby undertake to repent of my sins and remove my skis, last bagged slightly damp on Sunday from the bag this weekend. Furthermore if we ever get a nice hot sunny day I promise to give them a bit of natural hotboxing love in the suntrap outside the garage.
ski holidays
johnE,

We know that, but you also know what these "experts" are like. Why use one sentence when you can listen to the sound of your own voice for 5 minutes. I had nearly lost the will to ski after watching him take over half an hour showing you how to wax a pair of skis!
ski holidays
Then again... I find servicing my skis quite theraputic Puzzled
snow report
Is there any problem with wiping a rag damp with WD40 around the edges before putting the skis away to prevent rusting of the edges?
ski holidays
WD40 won't damage the base, but it does dissolve wax. I'd hazard a guess that there's also a risk that the WD40 would work it's way into the porous base making it harder for was to be applied properly in future.
ski holidays
Just give the edges a quick trim, wax 'em up as normal but don't scrape or brush.

Never done owt else and I don't get rust on the edges.

Sometimes the wax stains the bedsheets a bit though Shocked
snow report
feef wrote:
I'd hazard a guess that there's also a risk that the WD40 would work it's way into the porous base making it harder for was to be applied properly in future.

You are correct so do NOT use WD40 on edges (or any oil based product) as it wil get in to the bases & cannot be removed by hot scrape cleaning.

For recreational skiing the end of season work should be:
- edge tune
- base repairs
- brass brush base
- hot wax scrape to clean the bases (few people do this but's it well worth it as it removes all the dirt from the base which inhibits wax absorption & is an
abrasive)
- brass brush base
- hot wax application to base & then leave to cool.
- rub the block of wax lightly down the edges to give them a light protective coat which'll ski off really quickly.

The hot wax application can be your usual skiing wax (although a hard cold temperature wax is not recommended) or a soft base prep/warm temperature wax, which is left on for storage. This is then scraped off prior to skiing next season. If you've used your skiing wax then a quick brass brush & you're good to go or if you've used a soft wax you'd brass brush then do another waxing cycle with your skiing wax.

If you're planning some summer snowdome use then just fully finish the skis.

Other things to consider:
- the more wax cycles the better
- if you expect very cold temperatures then do an application of softer/medium wax first before apply the hard cold temperature wax
- avoid storing skis in damp or hot locations (ie cellar or loft) but if you have to then leave on a layer of storage wax
- don't store skis tightly clamped together
- just clean dirt off the bindings, check screw tightness & check AFD function. Check forward pressure setting. No need to grease or wind down the dins etc. -- if you suspect any binding function problems get them torque tested. If you can't get to someone with a testing machine then clamp up the ski/boot
assembly & check the release function by hand (you may need to slacken the din setting right off to do this so remember to put them back up)
latest report
spyderjon, Why is it best not to store your skis clamped together ??? I have three pair and struggle for room so I do have them paired up with a ski strap on the ends
snow report
carbon_copy, you don't want to compress the camber. So if you have conventional camber skis it's ok to clamp them were the tips'n'tails touch but don't clamp the in the middle. For reverse camber/rockered skis clamp them at the contact points only.
snow conditions
Put 'em in the ski locker singley and the get 'em out in December, always fine Very Happy
latest report
spyderjon,

OK, I think that confirms my understanding of the more sensible things I have gleaned from the interweb, some more questions:

Bindings up or down?
Does it matter if they are stored vertical or horizontal?
If horizontal, then flat or on edge?
snow conditions
I read on snowheads previously that it was best to store skis in the loft. Yet this conflicts with the advice of spyderjohn. Im now confused.com Puzzled
snow conditions
TOOTIE, I think the loft is fine if it is dry (and possibly isn't subject to large temperature variations, although I'm not sure how great the variation has to be before it matters). My loft is bone dry and I've had no problem. If my wife would let me leave them under a bed I'd prefer that, but for some reason she says she wants to clean there occasionally!!
ski holidays
I got mine out last night and the edges had a fair bit of rust on them...

Think I'm going to give them a service and put them behind the wardrobe instead of in a slightly damp cupboard.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any thoughts on using a liquid fluoro wax for summer storage?

Good/bad?
ski holidays
under a new name, Only. Hot wax will ge the penetration into the base to give it the protection it needs
ski holidays
feef, but given I just usually put them in the dry garage for 6 months is it better or should I trawl all of them down to SOLE for proper work?
snow conditions
musher, bindings up just as your boot was removed. Either vertical or horizontal but if horizontal seperate the skis so they're side by side & bindings down so they're weight is not compressing the camber. Watch for dust/dirt collecting on the bases if horizontal.

TOOTIE, generally lofts aren't good as they can get pretty hot & as most folks don't apply storage wax first the bases can get pretty dry. But ok if you've applied storage wax first. But how can you look at 'em if they're in the loft?

under a new name, yes to a hot wax with a hydrocarbon wax but no to a flouro wax. Flouro waxes are performance waxes for specific conditions but should be cleaned from the bases after use & not left long term.
ski holidays
spyderjon, Merde.

Is 6 months (assuming a november dump) long term? What will the ill effects be? Skullie

I should also note that the major concern is surface rust on the edges. The bases in question have all been properly serviced quite recently, i.e. at worst have been skied one day post hot wax and not a full day at that.
latest report
under a new name, bases should be ok then but with the your amount of skiing you do you ever get them hot scraped cleaned? I've not come across a shop that offers that but Steve & the lads will do it for you.

Either Zardoz on the edges or just rub a piece of wax over the edges to protect 'em.
ski holidays
spyderjon, ah good, no harm then. Hmmm, I guess our skis get a proper service at the start of the season and probably another half way through. Steve and / or Seb did a lovely job in early march. I suspect the edge angles were a little more radical than factory recommended - wouldn't slip at all on anything. Lovely.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy