Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So who are the tidiest skiing nation?

Poster: A snowHead
Recent trip got me thinking about national styles. Trot out your stereotypes here wink

Brits are obviously a bag of spanners
Dutch too many clowns in oranje
French gallic je ne sais quoi and Savoyard skill is let down by the mass of fartbag wearing skidding Parisian hordes
Ze Austrian Arlberg style doesn't quite do it for me - too much squeezing of those 5 Euro notes between the thighs
Italians surprised me - I was expecting a bit more fur coat flouncing but a lot of nice aggressive tight skiing
Texans drag US standards down
Canada generally a pretty high standard plus they're born on ice skates so that must help but the Gladstone Small* shrug is a national giveaway.
So Norway? Home of trad and modern telemark plus nu skool scandi style?

Maybe Scots need to plead for a seperate derogation.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob,
Quote:

Texans drag US standards down
Hehehe, skimottaret is going to love that one!
wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Has to be the Welsh - tidy see!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wombles?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pedantica, skimottaret is a cheesehead IIRC.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, although he spent more time in Texas than elsewhere before heading to these shores.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, Yeah but is it where you're from or where you're at? Are you a West London toff or a Welsh boyo at heart?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, an interesting question, and one I don't have an answer to. To people from Merthyr I'm probably a London toff, but to many in SW London I'm a valleys boy. I spend 3-4 months of the year outside of the UK so I like to think of myself as a citizen of the world wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fatbob, good sepo knowledge knowing what a cheesehead is Very Happy but as can be seen from some early photos I am a Texan when it comes to skiing..

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That is not a Texan - wrong hat!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob,

It must be about 20 years since I've actually seen an Italian ski. They usually seem to be standing in the middle of the piste using a mobile phone these days.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No mention of the Swiss? I skied at Laax a couple of years ago and nothing really stood out. Zermatt, etc don't count more outsiders.

I spent a few days at a small Italian local resort a few years ago and they all skied like GS Racers!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colin B, Yeah that's what I noted about Italians plus the Aosta Valley telemark squadron ain't slouches. Swiss are hard to pin down because I'm not great at identifying Swiss Deutsch and the number of D numberplates in the average resort indicate that not all slope users tend to be CH.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank goodness for Google - I had to look up both cheesehead and sepo.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sepo - rhyming slang - septic tank = yank
ski holidays
little tiger, yes, so Google informed me.
ski holidays
Italian skiers seem to be either lazy cruisers or absolute nutters (and ski demons with it). My first instructor was Italian - he quit professional ski jumping after breaking his back, taking up 'normal' racing then instructing. Apparently he never taught adults as he couldn't deal with their fear.

If you're going on tidiness I think the Austrians are still up there, if a bit robotic at times... The Arlberg style isn't that prevalent in the rest of the country (quite a few people I know like to take the wee wee out of it too).
latest report
What about the Japanese?
snow report
I thought cheeseheads were Dutch, according to a Dutch person who told me. KaasKop
snow report
Surely the answer can be found by which nation has the neatest, most well defined, and most uniform mogul fields...
snow conditions
Sarge McSarge wrote:
What about the Japanese?

The Dynasty style flared shoulderpads and the shiniest of the Goldwin jackets distract from the skiing. There are however some very good Japanese skiers ski bumming in Canada that I've come across.
snow conditions
The standard of skiing is really high in Scotland but I don't think snow conditions allow it to be tidy!
snow report
Alans deep bath, you're just making excuses for the latest pics on the Scotland thread! wink
snow report
Norway seems to have a pretty high standard of skiing (based on my experiences of Geilo and Hemsedal - where most visitors are Norwegian) - so they'd get my vote.

Certainly seems to be home of the most/best telemarkers too.
latest report
abj, Norway undoubtedly tidiest for telemark in my experience (I've never ski'd in North America though). For alpine, not sure: I've seen tons of ropey alpiners in Norway. Mind you, they've normally been with school trips for locals, which is fair enough since basically everybody skis in Norway.

And for most Norwegians, I get the impression that using just the word "skiing" normally means cross-country skiing.
snow report
Saw some young Czech girls at an international race event in Pila and they were BANG TIDY Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Yeah I met some Swedish birds in Val Thorens and they were pretty tidy too...

And skiied me and my mate into the ground cos they were both absolute nutters.
snow report
Really enjoyed watching some of the Japanese Slalom racers on the World Cup circuit this season..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy