Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis -transport issues

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a fantastic April ski in Obergurgl. Really liked the skis I hired and considering buying a pair. Typically I do DIY breaks and drive to the UK airport and from Alps airport to resort. Car full of a family of four and luggage -presume I would therefore have to buy a ski rack for UK and hire the same in Alps, or can a car accommodate skis inside as well as the above (have done this in the past when touring resorts but not with whole family, or luggage). How big a hire car would one need ? Any practical guidance welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My solution:

Weighs only 2.36kg - usually easy to fit in luggage allowance.
Handles 4 pairs of skis comfortably - have managed six!
Hire a car in class IW (Intermediate Wagon, eg. Mondeo Estate) - gives ample room for 5 adults plus luggage.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis, How do u strap the skis on??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are a number of D rings between the two inflatable chambers on each rack. The rack also comes with some ratchet straps to use to secure things.
Handy little roof rack, but make sure that you clean the roof first to prevent scratching
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can just see in the photo that, between each inflatable tube, there is a webbing strap perhaps 50mm wide. Into this are sewn 5 D-rings across the width of the rack. Included in the package are two more webbing straps with one-way buckles that you can use to tie down the skis. Most of our group now use ski tubes and we thead the front strap through the handles. Because of the curve in the roof, we find it best to leave the rear tube of the front rack a little soft. Also, take an old cloth to clean the roof before you put on the rack to save grinding any dirt into the paintwork. If you end up with a car with roof bars then just thread the rack under them.

I should point out that you should be wary of putting bare skis on the rack lest the bindings reach the roof! It can be done but you need to make sure that the skis remain on their edges.

Here we go on a Grand Scenic at Chambery:

BTW, this is probably the best hire car the we have had. We managed six people plus all our week-long touring sacks plus skis on the roof. Problem is that many hire companies have difficulty distinguishing between the Scenic and the Grand Scenic (which has an extra row of seats). I just look for a Mondeo Estate now as they're big enough and they're cheaper.

And here we are on a Tiguan (a so-called upgrade - they're VERY cramped for five):

Edit:
Ha! I'll have to stop spending so long finding photos!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Blastfromthepast, Most rental companies will hire you the magnetic ones. Inexpensive. Just be careful not to scratch the roof!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
Blastfromthepast, ... Inexpensive...

Just checked Europcar at Chambery: £44.09 for 4 days!!

And they only carry two pairs of skis - three at a push if you have your own straps.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blastfromthepast, have you considered driving all the way? With a family of 4 on board it should be just as cost effective and you get far more options on what you can take. Car plus roofbox, maybe a couple of rooms in an ETAP or F1 to have a short zizz if you can get some travelling done on the Friday, then wham bamm straight on the slopes as soon as you arrive. If you have two drivers its not a bad trip.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Altis -fantastic -looks ideal -was looking at a Sportube too.

Megamum -tend at the moment to do one full week and a couple of short breaks so driving not ideal at the moment -that may change though as kids get older

Many thanks everyone Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blastfromthepast, just for reference you did ask if cars can accommodate skis inside. Well some can - For example, my Octavia has a slot into the centre of the rear seat (so can still carry 2 rear passengers), which is specifically designed for skis - you can even buy a specific ski bag that has clips in the correct place to link the skis safely in place if the car brakes. I don't know what limit there would be on ski length, but it is a car that has been designed for skis and I expect there are others.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The magnetic ones I've got are not recommended for speeds above 80kmh, especially if there are strong winds. I've driven at 70mph without issue, but just something to be aware of. Im not sure if there's any restriction on the inflatable ones.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 30-04-12 13:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used the inflatable ones to drive down to Heathrow from Perth and they scratched the living daylights out of my car roof. Not a problem for me as looks are not my thing but if it hapened to a rental car you could be looking at a big bill at the end of it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy