Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz.... queues? supermarkets?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So we're starting to research our 2013 ski holiday and have come across a self-catering apartment block in Avoriaz which we quite fancy. It's likely to be just me (skier) and hubby (boarder) - we've skied Levi (Finland) in the past which is really quiet so not used to queues at the lifts...... just how busy is Avoriaz.... thinking early Feb or Mar (not half term week). We need self catering for dietary issues so want to be sure there is a decent well stocked supermarket for fresh meat and fruit etc.

Would welcome any opinions/experiences.... snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
scorpio21, I duck round to Avoriaz every now and then. It's reputation for horrible queues is well deserved and only surpassed by it's brutal, stark appearance (IMO).

You may consider staying in Morzine as it's considerably livelier and more interesting and you can still ski/board the same terrain Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scorpio21, I don't find avoriaz queues ever to be any problem, mind you, I don't take the Chavanette lifts very often. There are fast detachables on all the bottlenecks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't say I've ever experienced bad queues at Avoriaz at all, although I tend to avoid Sundays.

I tend to prefer Morzine as a town, but Avoriaz is much improved and has the advantage of being a bit easier to visit the rest of the PdS.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scorpio21, avoid mid Feb to mid March - no such thing as half term 'week', various zone staggering means it lasts for a month Sad (varies a little within that month, the Paris zone fortnight being the worst I believe).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
scorpio21, You can google for the French school holiday calendar. As marmotte16, Says, avoid any of those weeks.

Given Avoriaz is 90% self catering, the supermarket provision must be adequate. I haven't had to use it in 20 years so I'm a little out of date n that element of your question. I am not at all out of date on the rest!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I seem to remember the supermarkets as being OK, but queues are a bit of a problem especially if you're trying to get back up after lunch.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cool - thanks .... I'll check out the holiday dates. Good point on the 90% SC note.

Hmm... research continuing.... and now wondering about Austria... maybe Igls?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I may be a little jaundiced about Avoriaz as we have an apartment half owned by us and the bank!! wink I have not experienced bad queues ever, the longest we have had to wait is 5mins. I go at Xmas and New year busy times but mainly outside the French half term holidays so I cant give an honest recount of those times. Morzine would be better for those that enjoy the late hours as much as the slopes! If you want convenience and to get out sliding first thing then Avoriaz is much better opening up the larger side of the PdS easily! Dont be put off by those that relate Avoriaz to the inner city towerblocks!! Unless you are a 4 yr old child or a complete beginner you will not see the "Ballymun on snow". One short lift and you are away in another valley! But if you can see through mountains you may indeed see buildings!! There are three decent sized supermarkets that will have everything you require.

Plus points, great skiing, excellent food on mountain and resort! Bad points, very little bar activity at night! Enjoy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in Avoriaz the first week of March this year. The only places I came across queues were at the chairlifts at the bottom of Avoriaz itself, which you'd use to get out and up to the slopes. Even then, we were often taking those chairs at around the same time as the ski schools launched themselves out for the day and never had to queue for more than a few minutes. That being said, I never went back to the apartment for lunch so have no idea what it's like at that time of day.

Supermarket-wise, there's a reasonable sized Carrefour with just about everything you could want. There's also a couple of Sherpa which are smaller, but with the advantage of allowing you to pre-book your shopping online for when you arrive so you can just pick it up. http://www.sherpa.net/en/online-ordering/commande-etape1.htm

When I arrived this year, I had a couple of hours to kill before the luggage arrived at the appartment, so between 2 and 4 I did a spot of food shopping and grabbed a late lunch. This seemed to be a good time to do it. I popped down after 4 to get some coffee and the shops were far busier.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys..... feeling more comfortable about choosing Avoriaz now.... I know alot of people don't care for the look of the buildings - and ok I've not seen the whole range or indeed seen them in context but the place we are looking to book (Le Douchka Apartments) have a great look about them.... we liked the angles etc.

Glad to hear the supermarkets are good - and thenks for the website - may need to use that Happy

We don't really do the whole apres thing - we go for the slopes and the snow, so very little bar activity isn't an issue.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can also recommend the pizza from Piz'burg. Its takeaway only but all pizzas €8.50 and very good they are too.

Try the Giska Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy