Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sun Peaks at Xmas New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking of going to Sun Peaks for 10 days over Xmas New Year 12/13. Has anyone been there over this peak period recently? Can you tell us what the lift lines were like, whether all the runs were open or not and whether you saw any blue sky! I ask because we were at Whistler last Xmas, had 20 min lift queues at all lifts except slow old Franzs, alpine areas were closed most of the time, and we only had a few hours of partially blue skies - otherwise it was great, but I would like to get more skiing and less queuing. Any other advice or suggestions would be welcome. I like on and off piste challenges, my other half likes greens and easy blues and our 17&20 yr old daughters can ski all mountain, but not mad about off-piste yet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have certainly been over Christmas and I can't remember whether we were there for New Year or not.

I think all the runs were open witha few pre-season conditions around. Can't remember an abudance of blue skies but chances of getting them are much higher than Whistler

I would think Sun Peaks could suit you well terrain wise. We liked it and even had lunch next to Nancy Greene (probabaly not such a big name for you, but both my kids are in ski programmes named after her.

Have only been to Whistler once and I found it completetly over crowded.

Other options would be Big White or Silver Star
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You should be fine all the lifts are usually open by that time of year (resort usually opens late November). I have not skied there over Christmas/ New Year but have been there in Presidents week (Feb half term) lift queues about 5mins max.
We have been visiting for about 10 yrs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've been to nearby Big White several times over Christmas and New Year. It's certainly the busiest time, especially over New Year, and we have seen lift queues at this time - in the order of 10-15 mins on certain lifts, but more usually still less than 5 mins or none at all. Once New Year is over it's soon back to zero lift queues throughout. Only been to Whistler once in March and the queues were much worse. One of the reasons we started going to Big White.

Silver Star may be a better bet at this time of year. They have less accommodation on the hill, so you would presume less people than either Big White or Sun Peaks.

As for conditions, it's still early season and quite prone to fog rather than blue skies. Not the best time to go ultimately, but it can be really good too. I've certainly had some great powder skiing over Christmas and New Year before. But perhaps asking a bit much for blue skies at that time of year. The average day is overcast with a good chance of snow.

I'm basing the above on my experience of Big White, but I would imagine it's equally applicable to Sun Peaks too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We spent xmas in Sun Peaks this year, and the longest wait was 10 mins , first thing in the morning, after a dump of fresh.
it`s second only to Whistler, size wise, but less crowded, and has a complete range of runs including groomed tree glades, which are awesome.
we spent New Year in Banff, which was busy and a bit of a drive if you want to give Lake Louise a try.
Personally, I would choose Sun Peaks over Whistler any day.

either way, enjoy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the replies above, they have been very useful and confirmed what I was thinking. So Sun Peaks it will be for Christmas and New Year. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy