Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alagna vs La Grave

Poster: A snowHead
In general, where of these two places do you think offer the best and most challanging off-piste conditions and challanges. For me, La Grave in general has the best conditions given its north faced while Alagna has more areas but is suffering from the south faced mountains.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Grave is more likely to have better quality snow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think La Grave has more couloirs and more tough ones. I've been many times and I am still being taken down new ones.
Alagna used to be much better when the main valley was off piste and the bucket lift was still working and the top lifts went higher (you have to climb to get to some of the old routes now).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
guess it depends on where you say the Alagna ski area stops. the lifts allow you to access spectacular terrain if you are prepare to walk a bit. same goes for La Grave, although I'd say its area is a little more defined
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go to La Grave before they decide the lift is unsafe to run any more. Already they are only allowed to carry on running it because it is historic. Not sure how they could find the money to rebuild - perhaps ask for donations from all the La Grave ski bums who have gone on to have proper jobs. wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Would be so sad to see them close down the lift in La Grave! I guess they have always had a lot of problems and fights running it and no places can match the sense of getting into high mountain feeling as the ancient old cable car. And a solution of building new lifts and more marketing would destroy that feeling. But I guess that in the end it is just a matter of time before the old lift is not permitted to operate anymore.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball wrote:
Go to La Grave before they decide the lift is unsafe to run any more. Already they are only allowed to carry on running it because it is historic. Not sure how they could find the money to rebuild - perhaps ask for donations from all the La Grave ski bums who have gone on to have proper jobs. wink

I suspect they could well raise quite a lot from the global ski bum (or aspirant ski bum) population if it was a choice of keeping a truly unique place open or not. Every dentist on TGR must have it on their tick list for instance. I'd certainly kick in £100 without thinking (perhaps for small co-op discount on lift tickets).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball wrote:

I was wondering how long the lift could carry on for on my last trip up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd also chip in but only if they promise not to increase the uphill capacity!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'd also chip in but only if they promise not to increase the uphill capacity!

Absolutely snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, I include myself. I wonder if they know that so many people around the world would help.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd chuck in a bit.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Think quite a few are actually bizarrely looking forward to the lift closing.........

This year we actually planned to go there when the lift was shut, all be it accessing it from Deux Alpes, and we had a superb day, as you can see from the vid below........

When it does shut then worth buying shares in Taxis de la Meije Smile

Good background article by Davidof http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0909-la-grave-trouble-in-paradise/

As for Alagna, not been there myself though my mates have on a couple of occasions and they were very impressed, apart from the drive.

girosse.mp4 from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/38917618
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As La Grave is a big part of the draw for quite a lot of folk skiing at L2A, I reckon the commune there will work hard to keep its lift open rather than lose the jewel in their crown.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice video!
snow report
Passed La Grave several times but didn't try it as I am not a great fan on off piste.

Was in Alagna this Jan and its new cable car and a brand new mid station did impress me very much. Alagna is one of the three valleys of Monterosa so the skiing terrain is huge. Being the next to Cervinia/Zermatt Valley so the snow condition is excellent too.
latest report
Actually I'd chip in too, not that I could spare much. It's second on my list of places to go if/when I get some money. I wouldn't have thought they'd have too much trouble raising the money.
snow report
Are you trying to start a post or make a decision? If the latter it's simple. You are asking about both because they are both great. Go to one one year and the other another. You aren't guaranteed a better experience at either when you go. Why would you not aim to try them both?

The only thing I would say is that in Alagna you get more people in the powder on fat rental skis that can't handle them.
snow conditions
I did both in a year. Loved them both. Alagna offers better food Razz La Grave could be downright scary... Skullie
snow conditions
I'd chip in - on the same condition about the capacity. Probably the most charismatic and unspoilt ski town I've been to, considering the quality of the skiing, it's reputation and it's popularity. I reckon replace the lift with those 3-man bucket things; then the uplift would be as eye watering as the downlift Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy