Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Validate my thinking on a friends off piste skiing pic...

Poster: A snowHead

Some things I note:

He is straightening his downhill leg way too much, by pushing away on it I'd suspect (I did the same before my BASI course)

He needs to transfer weight onto it instead of pushing away on it.

I think that go some way to fixing his strange body position with his back bottom sticking out!

His right hand has dropped back a bit, getting both hands forward would get his weight further forwards as I suspect he is in the backseat a bit

Anything else?

cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe, maybe not. Hard to tell how steep the slope is,maybe his leg is straight because of the gradient. I don't like the right hand position though, it is going to tend to turn him up the slope and not get him on top of his skis, looks like a defensive position.

Maybe he should try some thinner skis Happy ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, let me know if you want to get more sequences of pics from his runs, I have quite a few. From looking at them, I think the backseat tendency is evident. Can't remember about the hand position but from the whole group yours were most consistently forward.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Difficult to tell from one image, but it looks like he has too much pressure on the outside leg and not enough on the inside leg. It's steep so he has pushed hard on the outside ski, straightening his leg in the process, and it's has broken away (or sunk in to the soft snow) and caused the turn to tighten rapidly (perhaps affecting his balance which is why he is using the inside hand in the way he is). I'd work on skiing with more equal pressure across inside and outside skis and hopefully other things will fall in to place (such as fore/aft balance and upper body stability)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think it's hard to make judgments from a single photo. This guy certainly has got a well extended leg and also seems all twisted up, but photos of top racers and instructors can also look a bit strange out of context.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What rob@rar said.

The latter third of the turn looks quite sharp, hence the build up of pressure on the outside ski. A bit of patience and keeping the turns as smooth and gradual as possible would help.

Video would be more useful than a picture.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ok, lunchtime, quick video edit appearing shortly!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
video

http://youtube.com/v/czRnQx85AXs
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
He looks to be skiing on his heels even on the flatter stuff.

On steeper stuff he initiates with up unweighting and a slight stem.

Cos he doesn't project his hips very much he gets caught in the backseat and on the old turning ski. This probably means he won't turn as quickly as he would like so he forces the last part of the turn giving the legs extention you showed us in the first picture.

I agree that getting both hands forward would help, as would the usual more aggresive and more down the hill pole plant.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And he needs a shave
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, Never mind the skiing - In the first clip there appears to be a crashed UFO ! snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
looks mint
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bit tricky to see clearly from the helmetcam, but on the steep section he's not using a lot of flex/extend which I think is making it more difficult for him to steer his turns effectively. He's using a lot of pressure on his outside ski to make quick turns and keep out of the fall line, and doesn't really get in to a good rhythm. I think my advice is still the same - use better pressure management across both inside and outside skis to ski a more rounded turn and control speed. That will probably require a more positive extend movement at the start of the turn, or a more effective compression turn by sucking his feet up at the end of the turn and pressing them in to the snow after transition. Other stuff, like upper body management, is a secondary consideration IMO.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the first pic he looks like he's shittin himself and not enjoing it. All he needs to do is smile Happy
In the vid, he appears to be forcing the turns, using some upper body movement. Being more patient in the turn would be top tip #1.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry can't see anything particuarly useful from the helmet cam footage apart from in the first sequence you see the arm and shoulder going back. Apart from that he seems to be skiing ok, just needs to ski op a bit more, was he enjoying himself? He didn't fall over and that is the most important thing.
snow report
He just doesn't look very comfortable with the light and/or pitch in the first clip and starts to link turns nearer the bottom presumably as the slope begins to mellow out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy