Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIN settings - is it OK to have them on minimum?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys. This is my first post here and I would really appreciate some advice. What I'm wondering is if there is any issue with using bindings on the minimum DIN setting. I have heard that they are better when you have them on a setting somewhere in the middle. Is this true? For example, with the Marker Jester Pro bindings would there be any issue with me having them on a DIN setting of 8 the whole time? Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For the definitive answer, I'd ask the manufacturer, but I've not heard anything about not being able to use a binding on minimum. If it's rated to be used from 8, then 8 should be a perfectly OK setting to use.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DIN is an international standard so as long as they are on a number within the range they will be fine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys. The background here is that I have bought the Marker Jester Pro which has a minimum setting of 8. My normal DIN setting is 8. I am weighing up whether to sell them and purchase the Griffon instead.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah should be fine but are you sure that you need bindings with a starting din of 8? What would you normally set your dins at? If its 8 then there shouldn't be any problem.

My dins are on 7 and personally I would rather spend a bit more money and get a 5-15 binding than to get a cheaper 8-18 binding, in an end of season sale, and be forced to increase my din to fit the binding.

edit: just saw your post above.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Elston. I totally agree with your points. I must say that the binding looks and feels absolutely bullet proof and very high quality. However, I think I'll put them on ebay and see if I can make the swap to the Griffon without incurring too much cost.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DIN is DIN, irrespective of the point at which you sit in the range of a binding. Chosing a binding where your setting is in the middle of the range is more psychological than for any technical reason from a mechanical point of view.

Also, if you foresee yourself improving as a skier, getting heavier, skiing faster, more aggressively, then your DIN setting is likely to increase.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you can maybe wait until next season to sell? If you cannot wait then I have got some used griffon's that I would be happy to swap for them. I used them about three times on a dry slope, before I totally wrecked one of the skis (8 inch core shot on a loose screw head on a box! very annoying). But the bindings are fine, bar a few scratches.

But personally I would wait until next season( maybe just before Christmas) to put the jesters on ebay.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kiwisflying, The pro is a great binding. If you ski on an 8 then keep them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dot. wrote:
kiwisflying, The pro is a great binding. If you ski on an 8 then keep them.

This as well.

Personally if it was a choice between the jester and griffon(and I skied on a din of 8 or above) I would go with the jester. Its a lot more burly.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kiwisflying, You interested in a swap , I have the standard jester 6-16 din , used one week , that I would swap for the pro

Pm me if interested
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kiwisflying, Welsome to SH

As you probably know the DIN settings relate to Weight, age, ability etc and are used to calculate a "Risk" Factor for the individual skier.

Ideally the binding should release to protect you from injury. Set too low and you may literally fall out of your skis' on a small bump, or alternatively if set too high, you potentially may attached to them too efficiently, risking ACL/Meniscus injury. You've stated that your normal setting is DIN 8 - If it is indeed your correct setting, then age/weight apart it's extremely likely to be fine for you. This is an unusual question for an experienced skier, so if you are an improving skier, then your DIN/risk setting likely to go up as your skiing/experience improves, so again this is a reason to keep them. Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the replies. I think I might have been a touch confusing. I am an experienced skier upgrading my gear. My previous binding was the Marker 12.0 on a setting of 8. I have purchased the Jester Pro to put on my Armada TSTs. Someone mentioned to me that you want you DIN setting to be in the middle of the range for your chosen binding to ensure top performance. I just wanted to know if any others had heard this.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kiwisflying, yes there are lot of noise going on over net about this. In reality it's not an issue, and all this noise have nothing to back it up... except rumors from people who really have no idea what DIN actually is, and how those things work. As few other pointed out already, DIN actually is standard, which means it needs to do their job right (release at certain value) no matter if this value is on minimum, maximum or in middle of scale.
Just to let you calm down a bit, racers normally ski with binding set to max values, yet they still release when forces exceed those values. So if bindings work as they should at max values, then they work also at min values Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use Jester pros on DIN 8. No problem at all. Ignore all the chancers offering to swap them for used Griffons Smile You would certainly want some cash in that swap!
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, Think i was offering jesters and no terms were discussed wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy