Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How kids learn to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Taken from another thread, where Steve Angus said

Quote:

Yes kids have less muscle to mass in the legs so use their skeleton to support them... as they get older their muscles in their legs allow them to remain more central on the skis and therefore lean less far back. They are also relatively top heavy with a proportionally larger head than with adults so need to counteract and have their head and body further back.
Quote:
enables them to go faster on their skis

pretty much everyone goes faster leaning back (at least temporarily) but the control is much less.

Also kids bracing themselves and seemingly being in the back seat would result in massive amounts of lactic acid for adults but kids don't really get lactic acid until they are about 9/10 years old typically therefore can 'get away with it'.

DON'T worry about trying to correct kids being in the back seat - it very often does sort itself out and the better course of action is to give them tasks that force them through trial and error to find the middle of the skis e.g. moguls or going off jumps.... they will soon work out how to find the middle of the ski in order the fulfil the task e.g. remaining upright after landing a jump etc!

So how do kids learn to ski? from my limited experience it's from following and copying, not from being told.

Another thing I have noticed is that one year it just clicks. My 12 year old almost went from snow plough to parallel overnight. My 8 year old now appears stuck in snow plough, she can parallel on gentle pistes, with a very wide stance. My assumption is this will just click with her as she gains more leg strength/weight and will just click on year..

Interested in what more experienced instructors have to say on the whole kid teaching/learning!

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
During an instructor training session years ago I remember being told that the Austrians were pondering the best ways in which to teach adults how to ski. So they just watched a bunch of kids out "playing" on the slope, observed how they dealt with things like "oh dear here's the edge coming up I'd better do something" - i.e. they naturally learned which movements were effective and which weren't. Then the Austrians went away saying !aha - now we know what to teach!.

Mabe anecdotal but who knows?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've introduced (I'd hesitate to say "taught" - we just provided the means and opportunity for them to learn) skiing to both of ours when they were too little for verbal instruction to really be of any use - on the principle that if you can catch them in that window of opportunity when they're standing up holding onto things, but not quite walking independently, give them skis and a pole to hold on to and then move the pole so they hang on and go with it you're really not doing much more than mimicing what they're already doing with learning to stand and walk.

So initially it was mostly trial and error, and then once they were skiing independently some see/follow and copy, with lots of opportunities to develop balance (little jumps, ridges, bumps, tracks through trees etc) thrown in and some balance related drills (stepping, lifting one ski, spins, etc). Neither of ours have ever really been taught parallel - it's just happened by the time they were about 5 as a natural function of additional speed and balance.

Obviously the early stages are a little different if they're starting at an age where verbal instruction is an appropriate option.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski: to some extent (less than with adults) it depends on the child, and also on the child's age. Following and copying is certainly important for children (just as it is with some adults) but there are more than a few who ask "why?" and want to understand what they're supposed to be doing. Most learning though is done through practice. Trying it, getting it wrong, feeling what happens when you get it right, etc. It's easy to forget this when instructing, but if I've given them appropriate exercises, and I've provided a safe environment to do it in, they're going to learn a lot faster by just looping round and practicing than listening to me telling them what's going on. A bit of feedback here and there to keep them going in the right direction, with spirits up, but otherwise just practice.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Main thing is to make it as safe as practical and #1 fun!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What age and stage of development are we talking about? It makes a difference in what we can expect a child to be able to do, and how we teach them. Also, how often do they ski, and what other activities do they do? Birth order can make a difference, and all children tend to regress as they go through a growth spurt. Oh, and learning preference also plays a big part.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think kids learn by doing. If they do something and it hurts them or doesn't work they don't do it again. Kids don't think they just do - this is why they rapidly outski us grown-ups.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The kids I was with this winter were all different...

One boy was a really really good mimic. He is strong in many sports for this reason.
His brother was a thinker - really needed to know what he needed to do.
Sister was a bit of both.

Even the first one would get great results when he focused on the whys and hows and applied some brain power. He just needed an incentive to do so(like whooping his butt in a race course, or wanting his Gold etc).

The second still loved to practice - to work at getting it "right" - less athletic than 1 but a quick word as to what went wrong often had big impact.

The third had balls - but being the youngest also tended to cry more easily and wimp from time to time... She would however do what she was told very readily. Desperate to keep up with the older two she actually did quite well with time.

We played in the small terrain park, practiced "cool" things like flat spins, worked on rollercoaster turns and garlands to get down steeper terrain, skied in the trees, and raced.

They went from barely able to get down almost dead flat terrain (I had to hold onto them) to qualifying for NASTAR Nationals and skiing black runs with comfort.

Give them good examples, know how to explain and what drills will provide missing skills. Focus on ski performance not "look" (their smaller bodies are not mini adults) and they will get there. Most of all make it FUN! If it gets cold - get hot chocolate. If they are tired - go for a break. Keep them hydrated.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
My 8 year old now appears stuck in snow plough, she can parallel on gentle pistes, with a very wide stance. My assumption is this will just click with her as she gains more leg strength/weight and will just click on year..

Interested in what more experienced instructors have to say on the whole kid teaching/learning!

Cheers,

Greg

It will click if you spend a day or two just skiing on gentle slopes.
Far too often I spend all morning teaching kids to parallel on a green run and then the parents take them on a steep blue / red in the afternoon and they revert back to snow plough and so I have to do all the same stuff the next day.
It is easier to teach a kid (or an adult) who has been skiing for 2 days to parallel rather than one who has been snowploughing for 2 or 3 weeks (practise makes permanent not perfect!)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep - I kept those kids on greens and easy blues for ages... that way they dropped the snowplow... even heading to blacks we did just a small run and then back to easy... ditto with how we increased the hardness of the blues - small sections of harder but not enough to freak us out... then back to easy so we could fly... repeat lots
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowrider wrote:

unfortunately not, we spent 3 days on the widest gentlest slopes we could find over in Lech. I am sure it's alot to do with their strength and weight which is why it just clicks one year. I saw similiar with my (now) 12 year old. snowplough one year, parallel almost instantly the next....with zero practise in between.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowrider wrote:
kitenski wrote:
My 8 year old now appears stuck in snow plough, she can parallel on gentle pistes, with a very wide stance. My assumption is this will just click with her as she gains more leg strength/weight and will just click on year..

Cheers,

Greg

Far too often I spend all morning teaching kids to parallel on a green run and then the parents take them on a steep blue / red in the afternoon and they revert back to snow plough and so I have to do all the same stuff the next day.
It is easier to teach a kid (or an adult) who has been skiing for 2 days to parallel rather than one who has been snowploughing for 2 or 3 weeks (practise makes permanent not perfect!)

And pick up all the parents bad habbits and then we have to start again!

Or they come to you with the classic line "they have been skiing a bit but are not getting any better so we've come to you for some hints and tips to progress"...

Watch them ski and they are all over the place and need loads of work!!!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scooby_simon wrote:
And pick up all the parents bad habbits and then we have to start again!

Or they come to you with the classic line "they have been skiing a bit but are not getting any better so we've come to you for some hints and tips to progress"...

Watch them ski and they are all over the place and need loads of work!!!!!

Maybe a slightly more respectful and constructive attitude to those who pay your bills would gain you more respect than sneering superiority. rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy