Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI - Director elections

Poster: A snowHead
Hello snowheads / BASI members,

My name is Magnus Mill. I am the other person standing for Legal Director in the forthcoming BASI elections. Stephen has already posted here asking for votes. Unsurprisingly, I am asking you to vote for me.

There's just the two of us running for the position. To be honest, we both have more than sufficient legal experience for the role. So why choose me?

I would say the main reason is that I have significantly more experience of the snowsports industry, having worked four seasons in Europe, and shortly to head down to NZ for my fifth season, before returning to the Alps next winter. (I appreciate that's a drop in the ocean for many of you, but I've also had to fit in working twelve years in a London law firm...) I now have a vested interest in BASI being as good as it possibly can be, because it directly affects at least one half of my work every year.

I will also bring a fresh independent voice to the board. My main current wish for BASI (which I would do my best to bring about) is that it is run in as transparent a manner as possible so that all members feel they have sufficient information about finances and strategic decisions that BASI takes.

Please take a few minutes to vote (that's all it takes). You just need your BASI login details to do so. And there are not that many opportunities to have your say in how BASI is run. Every vote counts.

It's really easy to do, just three steps:

1. Click on this link (or cut and paste it into your browser) which takes you straight through to the BASI voting login page.
http://www.basi.org.uk/content/member-vote-gm-21st-april-2012-hintertux.aspx

2. After logging in, go to resolution 1, scroll down and select "Magnus Mill" as the voting option. (Vote on the other three resolutions as well, of course, if you wish).

3. Click on the link (above the 'resolution' tabs) that says 'click here' when you want to register your votes.

If you've got this far, thanks for reading... If you've also voted, thanks even more.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is it about time BASI had their own forum for stuff like this rather than all and sundry touting for votes on here, particularly if they've shown no interest in contributing to this forum previously?

What's your position on that?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, +1

[I wish I'd found a London law firm that allowed me to do five seasons in the Alps. I considered myself lucky when mine allowed me one!]
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fatbob - BASI does have its own FB page, but this post wasn't meant to be intrusive. After all, the title of a thread marked "BASI - Director Elections" is hardly designed to grab the attention of anyone not interested in the BASI elections. I slightly hoped that only people interested in BASI would click on it, leaving everyone else's lives unbothered. You two seem to have slipped through the net. Smile

Pedantica - I didn't even find that my (now former) law firm would let me do one season - but lucky you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowmagnus, it's a free market, you're not out there mugging old ladies, so best of luck to you.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowmagnus, It just strikes me that you've specifically come here to tout for business because your competitor has and your post if we were to substitute name of a commercial product for you would be indistinguishable from very poorly constructed or even aggressive spam.

The other thing is if BASI chooses to be "in our face" by dominating many many threads in the BZK section even those of us who remain unwashed are entitled to comment on them wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
The other thing is if BASI chooses to be "in our face" by dominating many many threads in the BZK section even those of us who remain unwashed are entitled to comment on them wink

As you invariably do lol Laughing Razz Wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ehhh, Can someone tell me what BASI is and what Magnus is asking for - I know he needs votes but that's all I can work out!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidhammy, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31885

roga, Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
roga, well played sir
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidhammy, Its a bit like SCGB
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, thanks Toofy Grin

Being serious for a moment though snowmagnus, I have absolutely no idea who to vote for because I haven't seen any compelling argument one way or the other so I might just not bother.

Perhaps if you told us some of your views, say what you think about the age and the Eurotest debate and what issues you feel are important and/or what needs changing I might be more inclined to vote!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Roga, I'm happy to share. The first thing below I have already talked about on the BASI FB group, but I don't know whether you are reading that, so please forgive any repetition.

One of the most important things that I think BASI needs right now is more transparency in almost all areas of its decision-making. I have got the firm impression from many ski instructors / BASI members that I have got to know over the last couple of years that they either don't have much faith in the top-level decisions being made and/or they don't understand why things are done as they are. Greater provision of information to members (financial and otherwise) would hopefully mean that either members would feel more confident that the right decisions were being made, or they would feel sufficiently motivated and informed to try to take action themselves to make things better. At the moment we have an organisation where there is rarely more than 150, out of a membership in the thousands, who feel that it is worthwhile voting / getting involved. That is not meant as a criticism of any post made here in response to my admittedly vote-oriented post, but my impression of a wider malaise. I would like to try to get members enthused about BASI, and feel that it is an organisation which is really serving them.

In respect of the Eurotest, it's a very difficult call. Of course I can see that as members approach 40 and beyond their chances of successfully passing the Eurotest reduces, and there is arguably some unfairness to that. But for argument's sake, let's imagine a age-related time bonus that starts at 35 (to pick a somewhat arbitrary year): it's hard objectively to see why an individual who didn't make it at age 34, should record the relative time the following year but pass. I don't have a magic answer, there's unfairness in the world and with or without age-discounts it will still seem unfair to some. Perhaps what I would rather see, but this would be a long term aim, is to bring the countries that require working instructors to pass the Eurotest into line with the rest of the ISIA-stamp world, so that Level 4 was not a pre-requisite. Instead Level 4 could serve as a badge for instructors who had reached that level - to demonstrate to the public that they were that good (for marketing purposes etc), and remain as a gateway on the path to being a trainer, but without being mandatory simply to work in France etc.

There is a long-running debate on the FB group at the moment about whether it would be sensible for BASI to seek accreditation as an official qualification-awarding body. Although I am not in favour of pursuing such a route for it's own sake, I am in favour of looking into the feasibilty of such a plan if it meant attracting funding either directly for BASI or opening up options for BASI members to seek funding in enhancing the instructor qualifications. (I don't say that from a personally motivated position, as I suspect I may be too old etc to ever qualify for such assistance, but I know 18/19 yr old instructors who are just starting out in the industry and hoping to make it a career but who could really do with some financial assistance to afford the modules etc. If accreditation meant such career assistance was available, I would have thought it could be worth doing.

There's three views for a start. I'd be happy to expand on other areas if any BASI members on the forum have specific questions.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowmagnus, thanks for your interesting answer.

I seem to have missed the discussion on the Facebook page although I do look in on the page when I have time, I have recently been involved in the debate and poll on there about age handicapping the Eurotest. I'm pretty open minded about the issue but I think I could sum my position up by saying that I feel given there is a existing gender handicap, FIS accept different criteria for Masters races and it seems to be generally accepted age has some affect on performance (or potential performance) that the issue needs investigating rigourously. My particular worry is that if the issue is not tackled now EU legislation and standardisation across Europe might end with anyone at L1, 2 and 3 having their rights to work further restricted.

For my part I am currently L2 but working on L3 modules and I worry that the outlay necessary to gain L3 might end up being wasted if I am unable to practice outside of the UK. Having come into the profession late (in my 40s) with the view that I'd take it as far as I can in terms of qualifications I fear that even with a L3 qualification I may find my rights to practice severely limited and further limited as time and EU legislation move on. I have no particular wish to work in France as such and currently am in a better position than many I guess in as far as I work extensively in the UK on dry and in the Scottish mountains but I would like to have the right to work in at least some EU and other territories rather than having that right removed from me progressively.

With regards your first point, I agree that there is a malaise although I think I'd go further and question BASIs whole approach at L1 and Gap levels where there seems to be a pack 'em in and grab the cash attitude with little required in terms of actual commitment to teaching. Personally I feel the teaching requirements at L1 are poor and on Gap courses attending the course seems to be enough to get signed off on teaching experience - this is so much the case that the dry slope I work at much of the year has had to insist that any BASI L1s (and L2s for that matter) shadow and are monitored for some time initially before given the okay to instruct independently. I feel that if BASI asked for more commitment and perhaps time at this stage this might help to bring in more committed instructors who might be more involved in the organisation. However I wouldn't suggest this alone would act as a cure but in conjunction with tackling some of the issues you mention it might help to both bring in people with a commitment to instructing as well as engender less cynicism amongst longer standing members.

On the third point I'd agree too, if it helped with funding training I'm all for it!

Anyway, thanks for your time and thoughtful comments.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Roga,

Thanks for your reply - it seems we're not in entirely different positions: both being somewhat 'late' entrants to instructing and both currently working towards L3.

Just v. briefly - it is currently possible for you to work in some countries outside the UK. I'm currently working in Switzerland and there are other countries as well where L2/L3's can currently work. However, I share your concern about the difficulties of getting to L4 and the impact that has on employment prospects. It strikes me that France's different requirements are potentially discriminatory within the EU and I question whether BASI could be doing more to oppose that situation rather than reinforcing it.
snow report
Quote:

I question whether BASI could be doing more to oppose that situation rather than reinforcing it.

virtually the whole BASI powerbase are ISTD's who operate ski schools in France...
snow report
skimottaret, what on earth are you saying, you're being far too subtle for me .... Wink Laughing Wink

snowmagnus, yes I agree but shifting the French position might be a rather big task, however I feel ensuring the rest of Europe doesn't adopt it or head in that direction may be rather more possible and that I guess is where the potential importance of the position you are standing for comes in.
ski holidays
Il nous faut commencer les pourparlers avec les francais - qu'en pensez vous? Soit les pourparlers soit quelquechose plus?
snow report
Roga, I don't expect it would be possible to get the French to change their mind, I expect most of us feel the same way. (Which is why I don't consider Stephen's suggestion above of negotiations with the French to be a realistic way to achieve change in this situation).

Certainly limiting any spread of this situation is a more limited and achievable goal than that. However, if the French position is ultimately at odds with EU law, then it could be challenged successfully. I'm not suggesting that BASI directly challenge it in the courts, but we could provide encouragement for an individual to try etc, it may only take one test case, rather than reinforcing the status quo which is obviously not equal across Europe. At the moment BASI seem actively to help to shore up the current situation.
ski holidays
E non diminticare gli Italiani - I believe that those who have had the wit to have worked or set up in business in Switzerland have not had the joys of dealing with the Questura (the local government offices in Italy). There, it seems, needs to be an undertaking of discussions, without any shadow of a doubt. As you may or may not know, this is hampered by the fact that BASI is not recognised in the UK as an or even the official snowsports licence awarding body. This only came to my attention when I was reading through the response to the green paper of last year - link available on my posted page - and so this is part of the work that needs to be done. It would not be unhelpful for all UK based members to lobby their local representatives to have this remedied. The organisation can only do so much on its own, but the power of individual should not be underestimated in the sphere of lobbying. In spite of all the work that the organisation may have done or may seek to do in the future, this recognition is key to being able to move forward. While you will be voting at this and future AGM of the organisation, each individual member can take additional steps to empower the organisation and give it greater standing in the international negotiations that are part of its work.
snow report
Stephen Burke, There are other UK snowsports licence awarding bodies.
latest report
Exactly the reason why BASI needs official recognition
snow report
Quote:

I seem to have missed the discussion on the Facebook page although I do look in on the page when I have time, I have recently been involved in the debate and poll on there about age handicapping the Eurotest. I'm pretty open minded about the issue but I think I could sum my position up by saying that I feel given there is a existing gender handicap, FIS accept different criteria for Masters races and it seems to be generally accepted age has some affect on performance (or potential performance) that the issue needs investigating rigourously. My particular worry is that if the issue is not tackled now EU legislation and standardisation across Europe might end with anyone at L1, 2 and 3 having their rights to work further restricted.

So does this lead on to age handicapping L1/L2/L3 courses rolling eyes

Do we go down the road of those L4 that do not have the Eurotest and were granted exemptions/grandfathered to have to sit the test?

There is life outside of France.
ski holidays
Fattes13 wrote:

Do we go down the road of those L4 that do not have the Eurotest and were granted exemptions/grandfathered to have to sit the test?

Why not? After all it's a safety test so L4s who haven't passed it might be fundamentally unsafe. wink
snow report
Stephen Burke, I believe that BASI are attempting to become the/a recognised body and are working with the UK government Department (BIS? by memory), there is reference to this in several documents.. Good on BASI for doing this and i can imagine the process will take some time...
snow report
skimottaret, Yes, that does appear to be the case but the membership based in the UK can work individually and collectively as business owners and professionals to push this from a different angle. The job is not that of the Association alone. In fact on many of the threads of discussion those who have steered the organisation to date have been vilified and attacked, here is some thing that the membership can act on. It is of no small importance and an issue important to the members individually and collectively. Who will be the first to post his/her action in this regard?
snow report
snowmagnus, there has been a test case in France

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38237&start=240

Not well publised by BASI.
ski holidays
Stephen Burke, I personally think we should let BASI get on with obtaining the necessary recognition, why muddy the waters with another "angle" I have high regard for most things BASI do and have only a few issues that I have been vocal about, age discrimination, transparency and working rights within Europe for L2 and 3 members... on balance I think they do a good job on our behalf
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stephen Burke, snowmagnus,

Good luck to you both.

It has been excellent reading many things you have both written here and on FB.
snow conditions
skimottaret, Dunk,

Thank you both for engaging. I have no doubt that Magnus will agree with me on this and that irrespective of whoever is elected you have seen that we both have the interests of this organisation foremost and have put his to you as a membership.
ski holidays
Stephen Burke wrote:
In fact on many of the threads of discussion those who have steered the organisation to date have been vilified and attacked,

Not sure if this says more about the people steering the organisation or about some of the members?
snow conditions
Alia Iacta Est - the online voting is now concluded. Thanks for your participation in the online debates and probing questions. If you will attend at the AGM in Hintertux, you may still exercise your vote in person or by proxy.

Thanks to you all and you will soon have a new Legal Director
ski holidays
Thanks to both of you for answering our questions Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy