Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone done a Warren Smith Summer Saas Fe Course?

cran
cran
The lifts close next Sunday and I definitely can't last until December without skiing...

The Warren Smith Saas Fe courses look like a possibility for both some summer skiing and technical improvement...

Anyone done these courses?

Are they good?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cran, Have never done the course but have been in Saas for 3/4 weeks a summer over the last 5 years.

Usual Warren Smith fair, but with more focus on physical fitness and technique analysis in the afternoon as the glacier closes at 1.

They all stay in the Hotel DU Glacier, pretty decent 4 star accomidation located in the heart of the village and a 40 second walk from the lift. Food can ge ta bit repetitive in the afternoon but plenty of other options in the village.

Any person on the courses I have spoken to have really enjoyed them and the village.

I would look at the last week in July early August as the Glacier is less likley to be shut due to bad weather. Plus from a friend on the ground Saas got fresh snow this weekend,
latest report
 cran
cran
Thanks!

But last week in July... is such a loooong time away.... Shocked

Maybe Norway in May/June and WS in July/August... Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Iv'e done it and thoroughly enjoyed it. You are up sharp in the morning - 8.30ish up top and ski for about 4.5 hours. I went with my 14 year old son and he absorbed a fantastic amount from our instructor, Scouser, who like most of the WS guys, is a really nice bloke. Obviously its all on piste and you spend most of the time working on carving technique. Snow conditions were excellent, although it does get a little slushy toward the end of the day. It can be quite busy with ski teams from all over the world training there. There is also a snowpark with a half pipe with some very impressive boarders in particular on display.
The afternoons were spent sunbathing and chilling in Saas Fe, which is a small but cool place.

The biggest danger is bad weather, like high winds, which close the lifts and then your stuck in the gym with Warren. It happened to us one day, but you have one day off on the WS anyway, so it just became the day off.

It depends what level you're at with skiing. I took up skiing in my 40's, my son was maybe 11/12 and we had some catching up to do. I had done the winter WS in Verbier and liked the format. It is more moguls and off piste and I was at the stage where I was better on the Tortin bumps than I was on a steep red/black piste. The week at Saas Fe brought my carving ability on no end and revolutionised that of my son. If however you are a very capable on piste skier, able to carve and have mastered short radius turns there is a limit to how much you could get out of it.

That said you are still skiing, staying in a lovely place, relaxing to get to, train from Geneva then the bus, sunbathing - it's like a ski holiday and summer holiday combined. The rest of the folk are usually decent, singles and couples, mostly 40 and 50 somethings but a good mix. The hotel is very pleasant, food was good, you have a group of student types staying also, doing their BASI with WS, 1 or 2 nights out on the town - all in all, goodfun.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crans - have you been to 'Tux, Tux, Hintertux'?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can never understand why there is not a course in France?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cynic, just wait!! wink Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, Toofy Grin
snow report
 cran
cran
Thanks

Fifespud, I've not skied for that long, was still a beginner at the start of the season, but I've skied 3-4 days a week since December.

I think my carving is reasonably good, not perfect but I can attack pisted runs of any colour confidently. Recently I've been staying away from the pistes and it's the off piste, moguls and difficult terrain/conditions that I'm really looking to improve on.

Having said that a week of skiing in the summer is a week of skiing... Cool

Fifespud, looks interesting, never heard of it before, but looks like it's worth checking out.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cynic wrote:
I can never understand why there is not a course in France?

I may be getting whooshed here but I would imagine it's because few, if any of Warren's guys are qualified to teach in France?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cran wrote:
Thanks

Fifespud, I've not skied for that long, was still a beginner at the start of the season, but I've skied 3-4 days a week since December.

I think my carving is reasonably good, not perfect but I can attack pisted runs of any colour confidently. Recently I've been staying away from the pistes and it's the off piste, moguls and difficult terrain/conditions that I'm really looking to improve on.

Having said that a week of skiing in the summer is a week of skiing... Cool

Fifespud, looks interesting, never heard of it before, but looks like it's worth checking out.

Cran - are you living in Samoens?
snow conditions
 cran
cran
Fifespud, yes, have been here for the season. Leaving Monday, but hopefully back next year.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cran wrote:
Fifespud, yes, have been here for the season. Leaving Monday, but hopefully back next year.

Fantastic. I love Samoens - have you been working? Aspen Bar?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cran, If you cant wait we run a summer a coures in Tignes snowHead
latest report
 cran
cran
Fifespud wrote:
Fantastic. I love Samoens - have you been working? Aspen Bar?

Fifespud, Yeah, driving for GoMassif so not much chance to go out drinking (which is probably a good thing for my wallet) but when I did I tended to go to Coveys or Guanacao rather than the Aspen.

skimottaret wrote:
If you cant wait we run a summer a coures in Tignes

skimottaret, Thanks, looks interesting, might be able to do one or both of them, I think you have the start date wrong on the weekend course...?
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
cran, thanks for catching that typo, we just had to move the dates forward and a mistake crept in, hope to see you come along any questions feel free to contact myself or Rob through the website.
snow report
cran wrote:
... I think you have the start date wrong on the weekend course...?
Thanks for pointing that out. Now corrected.
snow report
 cran
cran
skimottaret, rob@rar, Thanks!

Also noticed that the Inside Out joining fee is £7 not £10 as shown on http://www.insideoutskiing.com/booksummer.php

Maybe better to change the fee to £10 rather than edit the web page Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy