Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet Janus, St Anton. Any opinions?????

Poster: A snowHead
Just come back from a late ski jolly to St Anton. Stayed at the Chalet Janus run by a well known TO.

The Mountain Star Chalets potentially could be really great, 200m from Nasserein bubble, almost level walk to town, nice sized rooms with very decent en-suite shower rooms/wc, Chalet Janus on top floor with nice room heights to pine roof with beams. Modern and pleasant.

Sadly the chalet missed it for me, I was wondering if I'm a tad too expectant of mainstream TO's product/service.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been with this tour operator before, food and service good in each case. What was not right for you?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not at all impressed with the chalet cleanliness, indifferent and under-skilled chalet host, inedible food, cheap wines, perfunctory afternoon tea and cake, lack of room cleaning/shower room/wc, bed linen had seen much better days, ..... I could go on.

However, excellent flights and transfers, very efficient and helpful check-in, good size rooms.

BUT.............. reminds me why I tend to go independent.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
theskibob, end of season apathy??? or not good all season, hard to guess which one!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
April.

Just expect good skiing.

Service at every place & especially English operated Chalets to be below normal. It is the end of the season & the staff have many end of season partys & are only thinking about Thailand & Mexico!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've not been with a TO in years but found staff attitude and service pretty good at my chalet in St Anton last week. Only real complaint would be re penny piching attitude to main ingredients of meals.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
theskibob, end of season apathy??? or not good all season, hard to guess which one!

Prolly a combination of both!

How'd you enjoy your ski time at St Anton? There was some good snow for the taking!

As regards the chalet staff it was somewhat obvious that there was a level of desperation/hope that the end was indeed truly nigh. Very little if any real conversation other than did we want eggs at breakfast. I get that and more from my cats!

Just wondered if any other SnowHeads had experience, particularly this season, of Chalet Janus. Supposedly one of the TO's Directors was in a chalet in the same Mountain Star Lodge building at the same time as myself. He kept a lower profile than my Chalet Host, sadly!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton wrote:
April.

Just expect good skiing.

Yup ............... Schindler/Schindler Kar excellent Monday. Also zapped over to Zurs and really enjoyed Trittkopf and Hexenboden. Skied Madloch into Lech on Tues and was disappointed at the snow even higher up on Zuger Hochlicht. So longer lunch than planned at Rud Alpe!

Thurs and Sat I skied a lot at Stuben, my pal in the business brought out a few of next years skis to test and he was staying in Stuben. Great snow especially Thursday as the front face from Albonagrat was luscious!!

What else is on the grapevine as regards English TO's/Chalets? My chat with the nice lady from the Spar shop implies Supertravel were the best bet. *damn!!!*
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
theskibob wrote:

Thurs and Sat I skied a lot at Stuben, my pal in the business brought out a few of next years skis to test and he was staying in Stuben. Great snow especially Thursday as the front face from Albonagrat was luscious!!

We must have seen you around, don't suppose your pal was Steve was he? He very kindly lent my wife a pair of next years piste skis to try out.

We did the white ring Thursday, then skied around Stuben (on piste with some beginner friends) in pretty poor vis!

Did you see any of this motley crew around?

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got it in one ............... Steve was kind enough to let me test Nordica Doberman Spitfire 2012 (great ski, but testing), Head Evo 3 2012/13(very poor), Salomon Rocker 2 2012/13(good both on and OP), another Salomon that was a bit plasticky.

I may have seen that blue jacket with an ABS back pack at the top of Galzig Monday morning about 10.00am-ish.

The two in the middle look far too fast for me to ever keep up with! snowHead

AND...... (edit)........ you look like you're at the top of the Madloch to Zug piste. One of my faves on the Weisse-Ring (which I did on the Tues), and found Lech a tad "wet" underfoot!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
theskibob wrote:
Sadly the chalet missed it for me, I was wondering if I'm a tad too expectant of mainstream TO's product/service.

I'm quite impressed by the Ski Total wine, relatively speaking. Their budget must be nearly nil, yet it's very quaffable indeed, being vaguely interesting drinking as well. My suspicion is that if you found the wine too cheap then you should consider going more upmarket in your chalet choices next time and you might find the luxury experience you're after. There's much worse wine out there...

I'm a fan of Ski Total. I don't know what you paid (which presumably has a bearing on your experience) but it was probably a list price £1,000 holiday and you might have got it for as little as "half price" which must be about their cost price, I'd hazard a guess. If you reckon £200 for flights and transfers, and £50 for the insurance of having a TO to rearrange flights/buses etc. then that makes the rest of your holiday very cheap indeed if discounted and really not very expensive at all at full price.

I agree, they let themselves down on some points; the lack of feather duvets particularly.

What do you mean by "go independent"? Hotel, self cater or privately owned chalet?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote from TO's Website regarding chalet staff........

"Good food would of course be high on any skier’s list of top priorities, and you will find our chalet and Chalet Hotel staff keen to deliver meals which entirely meet your expectations. Most will have done a recognised catering course, and/or have significant ‘real life’ catering experience."

Entirely did NOT meet nor come even close to my "expectations" and certainly not .....

"A tasty and innovative, freshly cooked dinner prepared by your Chalet Host........dinners start with canapés and an apéritif, followed by an appetiser, main course and dessert, and completed by coffee with chocolates to round off your evening."

It's a quibble I know, but the coffee/Chocs never turned up.

Sadly the Chalet Host missed this bit in his induction........... "We set very high standards for our cuisine, and train our staff extensively before the season starts, to ensure that you will thoroughly enjoy every meal on your own holiday with us."

Entirely laughable. Embarassed
But this bit is even more joke-worthy .....

"There is more though to being a Ski Total chalet host than just being a good cook, so we choose people with enthusiasm, personality and versatility."

What... like..... erm.... two-dimensionality???? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed .......... ^^^^^ A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
theskibob wrote:
But this bit is even more joke-worthy .....

"There is more though to being a Ski Total chalet host than just being a good cook, so we choose people with enthusiasm, personality and versatility."

What... like..... erm.... two-dimensionality???? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed .......... ^^^^^ A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the end of the season, do you really expect the staff being paid beenz by a mass-market TO will really give a toss? Last thing on their 'must-do's' would include spending time being nice to the last week of clients, only thing on their to do list is 'that nanny that got away', 'closing night at the KK/moose/bar cuba' and how they scrounge a trip round europe from a mate on the way home rather than travelling cattle class...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
It's the end of the season, do you really expect the staff being paid beenz by a mass-market TO will really give a toss? Last thing on their 'must-do's' would include spending time being nice to the last week of clients, only thing on their to do list is 'that nanny that got away', 'closing night at the KK/moose/bar cuba' and how they scrounge a trip round europe from a mate on the way home rather than travelling cattle class...

I seem to have missed that bit in the brochure.

And Bertie, you seem to have missed that point exactly even though you point it out!

BTW............. I'm looking for input from SnowHeads who have actually stayed at the Chalet Janus, not spurious comments about the generic practices of TO's and spotty adolescent wannabee staff with their own sad agendas!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dude, they get paid about 50p an hour. Your apparent attitude to the "spotty adolescent wannabee staff with their own sad agendas" is probably partly why they didn't like you...

If you care that much why not complain to the company rather than bitch pointlessly on an internet forum?
snow report
Dude for your information I was rather supportive of the young chalet host who way out of his depth!

And secondly dude I am in the process of redress from the TO.

And thirdly dude I'm well aware that the TO has staff who frequent these boards who actively take note of the expressed opinions.

And fourthly dusch I'd like to think that TO's actualy deliver what they sell in their brochure/website.

Now, if you've been to Chalet Janus and would like to leave some informative and constructive commment please feel free to do so. (And subsequently stop bitching your good self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
ski holidays
Dude for your information I was rather supportive of the young chalet host who way out of his depth!

And secondly dude I am in the process of redress from the TO.

And thirdly dude I'm well aware that the TO has staff who frequent these boards who actively take note of the expressed opinions.

And fourthly dusch I'd like to think that TO's actualy deliver what they sell in their brochure/website.

Now, if you've been to Chalet Janus and would like to leave some informative and constructive commment please feel free to do so. (And subsequently stop bitching your good self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
ski holidays
Cheers dude.
latest report
*cough*Pandora*cough*
snow conditions
Quote:
I was rather supportive of the young chalet host who way out of his depth!
Shocked
Maybe I'm being a bit thick but it did read more like a character assassination to me.
latest report
Assassination would have been too easy.

I was not alone in thinking WTF was the TO doing placing such an underskilled and dis-competent introverted nonentity as a Chalet Host.

BTW, other chalet guests included a JP, a Senior Partner in Law Firm, 2 Army Officers, and a couple of Public Sector Senior Managers.

I'm really under-playing the consensus of opinion which was way more damning than anything posted on this thread.
ski holidays
theskibob wrote:

I was not alone in thinking WTF was the TO doing placing such an underskilled and dis-competent introverted nonentity as a Chalet Host.

Probably because they simply couldn't get anyone else, they wouldn't put someone clearly that incompetant (apparently) in out of choice. If someone had dropped out or been injured earlier in the season (very common) they may have to get someone in at very short noticeso you would have to take whatever you could. Where I worked we ended up with a few like that for short periods, normally not for long though.

The real question here IMHO is how well Ski Total deal with your complaint, a bad host is bad luck but the TO's response is not. They should obviously have dealt with it straight away in resort.

It would be interesting to see what they say/do anyway.
snow conditions
theskibob wrote:

Why - it's an internet forum? One of the joys of which is you get posts from a wide range of people, a number of which (like me) have been nowhere near your Janus

I have however spent a season watching a group of ski esprit (sister company to ski total) resort staff at play and have a fairly good idea of the type of staff they recruit. The vast majority of which were 20-24 and my previous comments about it being the end of the season and them being more interested in future plans than talking to annoying punters I think were spot one.

Next you'll be turning up on week one of a season and expecting them to know everything about the resort...
ski holidays
guess it depends how much you paid (not mentioned)
latest report
Why does the quality of provision depend on how much one pays rather than the TO's description of that provision? I'f I'd paid for example half price there is nowhere in the brochure/website that says I'm going to get a cut in quality or some second/third rate Chalet Host serving up cat food and baked beans for my wonderful dining experience.

BTW.......... one vegetarian actually got served a bowl of baked beans as a main course. That would have been insulting to vegetarians if it were not so absurdly funny!!
snow report
If it was that bad you could have taken over the kitchen yourselves.
latest report
So,theskibob, What DID you pay?

I like your retort about "Why does the quality of provision depend on how much one pays rather than the TO's description of that provision?" Surely it would be a indication and not gospel!! I for one do not believe everything I hear or read in an advert! After all I am not sooooo innocent to believe that a spin will not be put on any advert!! To get quality service, I think you will have to go with a owner run operation, after all they, and they alone have the incentive to entice you back!! A TO goes for the mass market and lets be honest their staff are there for the skiing and partying, your enjoyment is not always their concern. After all, next season they will be back at college and "possibly" studying!

Every time I have done a TO, although not always cheaper than an independant operator they have never managed to surpass the level of service and the quality of food etc than a independant operation. You do have to however arrange the flights and transfers for yourself but it really is not a problem for a fairly able person!
latest report
theskibob, continued whining isn't making you look very clever here. Everyone knows that TOs stretch the truth a bit and sometimes your experience can be significantly impacted by the someone arbitrary luck of which gappie you get as a cook/host. If your experience was so bad you should have pursued it in resort at length with the resort manager and or contemporaneous calls/emails to head office. Realistically now you've returned all you're likely to get is a mealy mouthed letter about appreciating the feedback and falling short of their usual stratospheric standards plus a token discount off future full-priced bookings.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ooooh I'm keen to know how much you paid too....

We went out the first week of the season and didn't get amazing chalet hosts (tried hard but weren't really coping with cooking very well) and the sauna didn't work. But we paid £500 pp for flight, catered chalet and transfers which is a budget price to pay. So although the holiday wasn't quite as advertised, it was just fine for £500! You do have to take price into consideration a little bit, if it's too got to be true, it probably is - as my mum would say.
snow report
Roy........... Spot on!

Fatbob ........... I'm not trying to look clever, I'm purposely and provocatively fishing. Please don't bite if you've not been to this chalet! It does not make for constructive input! Your opinions are far too generic, and not that clever either!

Kat ........... I paid less than you! And some in the chalet paid more and some even less. Sauna was a no-no as well. The Jacuzzi was a waste of time, 40 mins to fill, no bubbles, no fast/slow jets. Instant boredom. I'd be interested to know what feedback you gave.
snow report
theskibob, So we've established no-one who has been to the chalet has bothered replying so this is a dead thread then.

Sadly in your opening post you asked/mused

Quote:

and the resounding answer from the population seems to be yes.
latest report
fatbob, Plus one.
snow report
Oil hope it's a dead thread , thickbob is starting to be a bit annoying.
snow report
Quote:

Kat ........... I paid less than you! And some in the chalet paid more and some even less.

Bargain snowHead

Quote:

I'd be interested to know what feedback you gave.

Well I had actually been intending to complain because the bed was not a double as advertised and had 2 separate duvets, the sauna didn't work but more importantly they sent us to the wrong terminal. Made worse by the fact the other party in our chalet had alerted the TO to this a few days before we flew and they told them they would send an email round, which they didn't.

This was actually really crap becasue I had paid extra for the meet and greet at the terminal and could have changed the booking if we had know in advance, but once your car is in the system they can't change the booking to another terminal. So on the way home when my boyfriend had one broken wrist and one sprained wrist it made getting all the luggage along very difficult and it would have been an easier trip if i had taken the cheaper option and got a bus to a long stay car park.

But Jan/Feb/March is our busy time at work, and I'm away a lot, and I only paid £500.... so I never got round to bother to complain.

I wasn't intending to complain about the staff, they were trying very hard and very pleasant, they just weren't exactly trained professionals.

Holiday was with Ski France, not Ski Total btw
snow conditions
theskibob,
Quote:

BTW, other chalet guests included a JP, a Senior Partner in Law Firm, 2 Army Officers, and a couple of Public Sector Senior Managers.

Say no more , what a bunch, not one of 'em ever had to work for a living and justify there salary let alone understand a commercial profit.
Which one are you, let me guess, the public servant?
ski holidays
Try posting your whinge on Mumsnet, the TO's have much more influence on there.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 19-04-12 13:59; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Sounds like they were all tight wads as well
snow report
Sounds like they were all tight wads as well

Sounds like you know them then!!!!!!!

Try posting your whinge on Mumsnet, the TO's have much more influence on there.

What..?? Winge on Mumsnet...........I'll leave that to you,even though you do a great job of it on SnowHeads!!!!!!

So we've established no-one who has been to the chalet has bothered replying so this is a dead thread then.

2 PM's and 2 in the thread counts as no-one!

Now................ if you got something better to do .....................please go do it! I'm still trawling for something a tad more constructive than bored mofos's on a wet afternoon!
snow report
Careful, if you use up all the punctuation marks there'll be none left for anyone else...
snow conditions
Wait tillI start typing in CAPITALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The two chappies who have been somewhat over-sensitive and a tad defensive, I reckon they have to work for the TO!!!!!!! Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy