Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Well-known British ski pioneer dies

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Eric Langmuir, a leading figure in British climbing, mountaincraft, avalanche research and ski instruction, has died at the age of 74.

Langmuir wrote the classic book "Mountaincraft and Leadership", published in 1969, and was Principal of Glenmore Lodge at the foot of Cairngorm - which served for many years as the training base for BASI (the British Association of Ski (now Snowsport) Instructors). He climbed and skied extensively, and his two sons represented Great Britain at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid.

This obituary from Telegraph.co.uk.
Quote:
Eric began skiing as a teenager, later recalling: "My sister and I would cycle out to the Cairngorms with our skis across our handlebars, and we had to walk up the mountain because there was no chairlift, but I loved it. I then got into snow and ice climbing and was hooked the moment I started."
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Remember using Eric's book when I did a summer walking leadership course years back at Plas-y-Brenin in North wales. Also used his book to prepare myself for the winter course but the weather in Scotland was either no snow or too harsh so never got round to doing it. Basically studied multiple times for a test I never took. Got into bother 3 years back on the GrossGlockner glacier here in Austria. It's amazing what you remember when you have to, the techniques I studied all those years back in Eric's book helped to get us out.

RIP Eric.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used Mountaincraft and Leadership in the mid 80's and bought the 3rd ed when it came out in the mid 90's because I remembered what a great book it was, though I haven't really used it since. Just checked, still on my shelf! What a contribution. RIP.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
More about Eric Langmuir, his extraordinary experiences and influence, in this obituary from The Guardian.
Langmuir "attained the highest qualification of the British Assocation of Ski Instructors - a body of which he eventually became honorary president" according to this further obituary published by The Independent today.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very sorry to hear the news, and commiserations to Cate, Roddy, Moira and Sean. I only knew Eric as just another dad of the kids I raced with, but he was always the nicest, gentlest man you could meet.
Now, reading these obituaries, it seems that British skiing and mountaineering have much more to thank Eric for than perhaps us "younger folks" had realised. Hillend, which was under the jurisdiction of Eric's department in the 1970s, remains one of British snowsports' most valuable assets. (Incidentally, my brother and I learned to windsurf at the Port Edgar watersports centre which Eric set up.)
Hopefully many British skiers and mountaineers have now been reminded of all Eric's achievements.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith wrote:
his two sons represented Great Britain at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid.

Roddy did. Sean was at the 92 Games in Albertville. Moira was at the 82 Worlds in Schladming. Cate now edits Good Ski Guide magazine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for that correction, Martin. Got that point from the last para. of the Telegraph obit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy