Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Pilchuck Avalanche Safety Pack v Black Diamond Bandit Avalung Package or ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am looking to buy a backpack, probe and shovel before attempting to venture off piste. I am not planning on doing anything too adventurous, at this stage, so am not looking at ABS systems, yet, but think that an avalung might be worth having. I have also read the Genswein/Eide report on snow shovels, which was fairly damning about most of the products tested, except Voile, and wasn't very complimentary about the Black Diamond Transfer 7 shovel.

Anyhow, I have found a couple of packages which are currently on offer, at well under the cost of the component parts, which I fell might be worth considering.

The first is the K2 Pilchuck Pack available from S & R, for £104 (normally £149.99). I have only found one review, which was fairly positive, but have been told that the pack isn't very compact. I haven't found a report on the shovel but think that K2 generally makes pretty good products.

The second is the Black Diamond Bandit Avalung Package available from Snowsafe (http://www.snowsafe.co.uk/avalanche-safety-packages.html) for £169 (normally £229.99). This includes the BD Deploy 3 shovel, which seems to have a very short shaft and may suffer from the same problems as the Deploy 7.

Otherwise, I have read good reports of the Dakine Helipack 11L and think that I would buy the Voile Mini Tele Pro T6 shovel, if I was buying it seperately.

Does anyone have any views or recommendations on these items? Thanks. Mike
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you already have a tranciever?

You could also look here for a bigger selection.

Or you could buy all the stuff seperately in the sales/ebay/snowHeads. So long as you get a smallish alu shovel and longish probe and it fits in your daysack you're good to go.

Read up on rescue techniques and practice them though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the link and suggestions. I've already managed to pick up an Ortovox S1 transceiver on e-bay. Regards Mike
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike, can you link me to S & R ? Not sure what website that is
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or our very own http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/ for a snowHead discount.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
anarchicsaltire wrote:
Or our very own http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/ for a snowHead discount.

+1
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy