Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best bank for overseas charges or non charges

Poster: A snowHead
What is the best bank to use if using a card abroad?
I used to use Nationwide as it was free (aside form the bank exchange rate) but even they have stopped that now.
I just got back after having used a Santander card abroad and would advise anyone not to use them. They charge a bank exchange rate + an international usage percentage of about 2% + an overseas transaction charge of £1.25 everytime you use it even for card/pin payments.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Metro Bank, especially if you live in London.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are you talking a credit card or a card for withdrawing cash?

I use an Halifax Clarity Credit Card and a FairFX pre-loaded Mastercard for cash.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
debit card ut they charge anyway.
It's more the payment at restaurants, hotels, petrol stations that is also charged for that I have a problem with...adds at least 3-5% to every transaction.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Isn't the Nationwide credit card still free? Just pay it off at the end of the month.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, why don't you use a credit card for these?

MSE is always a good reference for this sort of thing.. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Monium, No.

GordonFreeman, as Layne points out, the best site for that sort of question is at moneysavingexpert - comprehensive answer here. Any reason why you posted this topic in The Piste?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When did NW slip that in? Time to look at other options, I put about £1K on mine over Easter in France.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Colin B, about a year ago, I think.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monium wrote:
Isn't the Nationwide credit card still free? Just pay it off at the end of the month.

Yes the Nationwide credit card is still "free" (except for cash). The Nationwide debit card however does charge a percentage plus a fixed sum for non-UK cash withdrawals. Taking the exchange rate used and the percentage charged, my Nationwide credit card worked out 3% cheaper than my Halifax credit card.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nationwide credit card for credit transactions, and pre-loaded FairFX card for cash.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nationwide Credit card all the way! wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
you can use a Santander Zero current account and debit card and a Santander Zero credit card.

Worked fine in Canada recently and no charges.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cockofthenorth wrote:

+1
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jtr wrote:
Monium wrote:

Yes the Nationwide credit card is still "free" (except for cash).......

Not so according to Nationwide there is a 2% commission for non-sterling transactions. To be fair, that is cheaper than many - but Halifax Clarity, the PO, Saga, Sainsbury's Gold and Santander Zero all do better, with no commission charge at all.
snow conditions
achilles, the whole page is about their debit card.
latest report
achilles wrote:
jtr wrote:
Monium wrote:

Yes the Nationwide credit card is still "free" (except for cash).......

Not so according to Nationwide there is a 2% commission for non-sterling transactions. To be fair, that is cheaper than many - but Halifax Clarity, the PO, Saga, Sainsbury's Gold and Santander Zero all do better, with no commission charge at all.

See your link and raise you one.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditcard/credit-card/offer-deals.htm?intcmp=Intcmp_1208

Quote:
For every £5 you spend on purchases in sterling you earn the right to spend £1 on purchases in a non sterling currency without being charged commission.
snow report
+1 for the Santander Zero account. BUT Santander customer service is non existent and they are exceptionally inefficient at everything so whilst the marketing and the deals are good the headache of sorting it all out might cancel out the savings so might not be the best choice if you are a busy person!
ski holidays
Used to use NH credit & debit until they started charging.
In Arraba in Feb is used the Halifax Clarity for both purchases and cash. Even forgetting to pay the cash off "early" and it being done by my normal direct debit it only seemed to cost a couple of quid over the month plus the rate was ok.
snow conditions
jtr, that Nationwide deal is designed to stop people using the card purely for when abroad. Which for me is a non starter as I use a Tesco Clubcard CC to get points to pay for my Eurotunnel! And I am sure people have cashback cards and other deals which they like to take advantage of for their UK spend. Understandable from Nationwide's pov obviously.

Anyway none of which would seem to help the OP who wants to use a Debit Card.
latest report
jtr, Hmm. That appears to be related to a balance transfer deal with a time limit - but I do find it confusing, and it does appear to conflict with the other Nationwide link I gave you. I do have a Nationwide current account - but it is not in regular use. They've long struck me as almost very good - not a bad bank but could do better - and the slap-dash approach to their information, which you have kindly highlighted, reinforces that view. Better to go for a card where the terms are clear, I think.
latest report
Quote:

Yes the Nationwide credit card is still "free" (except for cash).

Not how I read this

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditcard/credit-card/offer-deals.htm

at least as far as I'm concerned, since I never use mine for sterling purchases Puzzled
snow report
achilles,
Quote:

it does appear to conflict with the other Nationwide link I gave you.

I really don't think it does, your link was about their debit card and jtr's was about their credit card.
snow conditions
I use my Nationwide Credit card for all my French stuff and pay no commission not even through the exchange rate. I guess their new cards as above won't have that benefit.
snow conditions
Layne, achilles, Yoda, There are 2 types of Nationwide Credit Card.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditcard/compare-credit-cards.htm

The "Select" card features
Quote:
0.5% cashback on all sterling card purchases
and
Quote:
Unlimited commission-free purchases abroad
but is available only to customers who credit their current account by +£750 per month (IIRC)

For the riff-raff there is the run of the mill credit card which has no cashback but does have
Quote:
We will reward you every time you use your card for
purchases in pounds sterling with commission-free
purchases abroad

I quite like the Nationwide but like all Financial Services companies you have to keep an eye on them.
ski holidays
jtr, I only got the Nationwide pleb card (a few years ago) to use abroad, I don't bank with them. But thanks for the info.
snow report
paul.kin wrote:
you can use a Santander Zero current account and debit card and a Santander Zero credit card.

That ^^^
snow conditions
... and possibly another factor to consider

Quote:
Is Santander Britain's worst bank?

Santander gained a million customers last year, and pays the highest rate on an Isa. It's also top of the complaints league

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/feb/26/santander-britains-worst-bank
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, gosh - glad you can see that easily - I can't. Moneysaving expert, against credit cards notes for Nationwide

Quote:
If card opened before 22 February 2011, 0% load in Europe, 1% Worldwide. After this date, you can earn some load-free spending, but standard is 2%.

So unless Nationwide really suits you for other reasons, I cannot see that it is a good card to use.
latest report
achilles, if you have a FlexAccount, and use it, they send you a different credit card, the Select card. I pay in something every month, and use it for one direct payment out again. Unlimited commission free purchase abroad.
http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditcard/default.htm
ski holidays
Moneysabving Expert is way out of date on that one (date of update August 2011 according to your link), We received our new cards in late 2011.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, comes back to whether Nationwide suits you in other respects.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
achilles, if you have a FlexAccount, and use it, they send you a different credit card, the Select card. I pay in something every month, and use it for one direct payment out again. Unlimited commission free purchase abroad.
Yeah, that's what I've got. I find Nationwide online banking perfectly efficient and user-friendly.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
cockofthenorth wrote:

+1

another +1 using their Select Credit Card.

Just back from my Utah trip no problems with it and the exchange rate was business rate too Madeye-Smiley So no loading and no fees either.

As Hells Bells says just pay into a current account with them and pay it straight out again if you wish, so you dont use them for anything else.
latest report
Bones, their exchange rate is always very good.
snow conditions
I actually use FlexAccount as my main current account. It's fine for personal use.
snow conditions
Pedantica wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
Yeah, that's what I've got. I find Nationwide online banking perfectly efficient and user-friendly.

Super. I very much doubt that it could have done for you what I needed from my bank recently. What suits one person may not be so good for someone else.
snow conditions
achilles,
Quote:

What suits one person may not be so good for someone else.
Indeed, I was not trying to persuade anyone to move to Nationwide. Entirely a matter of personal taste.
ski holidays
achilles, obviously it is horses for courses. All normal banking facilities are covered, and they started offering international online transfers long before my main bank.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy