Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloucester Slope for sale (again)

Poster: A snowHead
The Gloucester Ski & Snowboard Centre is again on the market, having failed to find a buyer two years ago. Jupiter Hotels, the owners, wrote to all 51 staff two Weeks ago saying the slope no longer fits into their future plans.
The staff have since made an offer to buy the slope with external financial backing from a small number of ski enthusiasts and will hear if the offer is accepted in the next fortnight...

I am the coordinator of a staff bid to buy the centre from owners Jupiter Hotels (and also a rookie instructor).
With the staff calling the shots, Gloucester can again become a really top facility. If we are successful, we have plans to make Gloucester one of the best centres in the UK.

We have launched a publicity campaign to encourage Jupiter Hotels to sell to us and we need all the support we can get.
We are asking everyone to tag our page at www.facebook.com/skiglos and to leave us a message on our wall.

Being new to Snowheads, I don't know how to get this message out to as many members as possible. Can you help?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SnowSport Fan wrote:
Being new to Snowheads, I don't know how to get this message out to as many members as possible. Can you help?
You can send individual messages, one at a time, but you wouldn't want to do that as people will think you're sending out spam. Best thing to do is to keep on posting news as your bid progresses, perhaps talk about the plans that you have for the centre if you're successful, etc. I'm sure there will be lots of people who are interested, so keep us informed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SnowSport Fan, not sure if you're already aware of this but Ski Rossendale was bought out last year by a group of slope users/employees. Snowhead sunnbuel was involved in that bid - they might have some useful experience which could help you having been through a similar process recently (although they were taking it over from a council which had closed the slope rather than as an currently operating venture from a commercial organisation, so a slightly different situation to yours.

In terms of getting the message out, I'd try contacting the ski clubs/regions and ask if they could publicise it to their members - this list might be a good starting point.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Best of luck. With new domes going up in Cardiff, Weston-Super-mare and Swindon in the offing, it's going to be a difficult market to attract punters to an old-school outdoor slope.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways, Don't you think "punters" would just prefer the outdoor feeling, the much MUCH longer slopes, the cheaper prices, the quieter slopes, etc??

If outdoor slopes spent even a tiny fraction of the marketing spend that the 'domes do, then they would be far more successful. Most people in England have an outdoor slope within 1 hrs drive of them: but do they know it? No. They just see adverts for the domes and complain they are too far away from them.

As I said above two years ago, the only thing wrong with Gloucester is that for 5 years it has been starved of investment by the owners. Good luck to SSF and those involved with the current buyout-plan.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RobW, have to agree with Richard_Sideways. With the greatest respect to Gloucester et al outdoor slopes, the worst indoor snow > the best plastic matting.

Of course, Gloucester on a snowy day would be frikkkin' awesome. If there was an email or FB alert service to tell punters like me when it will be open when there's snow forecast, I'd happily pay and queue double the time...

Good luck, SnowSport Fan, I'll linky to your FB thingy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andyph, Yes I agree that indoor snow surface is (usually) better than even the best plastic matting.

Oddly enough though, none of the mentioned Weston, Swindon or Cardiff domes mentioned have even actually started construction. Whereas skiers/etc in those areas can go to Gloucester now. And they would do more if (a) there was actually any marketing of the slope's facilities, and (b) people didn't keep slagg*ng off plastic when for many people that is all that is practicable for them.

I don't care what surface people ski on: Indoor artificial, outdoor articial, outdoor real. Just get skiing!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I learnt to ski nearly 25 years ago mainly due to the fantastic instruction I received from a young Chantelle Goodard-Jones at Gloucester on that very dry ski slope. Year after year I went for lessons with Chantelle and she and that slope gave me so much enjoyment that I have pursued skiing at all levels so that now teaching skiing and snowboarding is my year round occupation. Dry slopes are FANTASTIC - I would not be anything like the skier I am now without the dry slope in much the same way that many of my colleagues out here in Val d'Isere attribute much of what they do down to their experiences on the scottish slopes in the 80's and 90's. A slope is a slope, get involved and lets hope Gloucester gets bought by the 'right' people and goes from strength to strength.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobW, Don't get me wrong, I think dry slopes have their place too. The wealth of international level talent we have in the British snowboarding scene cut its teeth on dendix, and if you can ski the brushes you can ski anything...

But...

Ask people whats needed to go skiing, the answer? Skis? Poles? CEM approved boots? No, it's snow. You need Snow to ski. Thats the long and the short of it, and the likes of you or me or anyone here jumping up and down and saying NO YOU DONT!!! won't matter. Snow brings people through the door and paying to keep the place running.

Thats why there are 7 or 8 different snowdome projects ongoing in the UK at the moment, dry slopes just don't attract paying customers anymore.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobW, I have a great fondness for Gloucester having taken the kids to club there for a couple of years - hell, at least half the reason we chose our kids' school was because they had a ski club that went to Matson on a Monday afternoon! - but I wouldn't choose to ski on plastic, it's just too hard. Yes, it forces you to improve your technique but like most people I only ski for fun, not to race. All ski centres, especially old skool plastic merchants, have to sell the fun-factor first if they want punters through the turnstiles on a regular basis.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Ask people whats needed to go skiing, the answer?.., it's snow. You need Snow to ski.

Which just goes to prove what I said: the outdoor slopes marketing has failed. Have you even seen the ad "Come to Gloucester, ski on a natural hillside surrounded by mature trees, with spectacular view across of the vale of Gloucester to the Cotwold hills"?? No, thought not, I've not seen it either - but I should have done! NO indoor slope can claim anything like that.

Quote:

All ski centres, especially old skool plastic merchants, have to sell the fun-factor first if they want punters through the turnstiles on a regular basis.

Totally agreed. The indoor snowslopes are good at this because of the MASSIVE amount of money they have at stake and their incredibly high running costs: if they don't get the customers through the door, they'll soon get shutdown. [How many changes of ownership has Tamworth been through in its 15(?)yrs of operation?]

The outdoor slopes are by comparison cr*p at this, because they don't really have an incentive to get the numbers through the doors as the running costs are so low that they only *need* a low number of customers. But of course the owners then aren't seen much RoI, so fail to invest, which means numbers continually decline.

Quote:

there are 7 or 8 different snowdome projects ongoing in the UK at the moment.

Good - by ongoing I assume you actually mean "planned". When more people have the luxury of a *local* snowdome, then by all means direct them to it. But don't tell them they have to drive for three hours to ski when there is a outdoor slope only half an hour away.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the suggestions for how we can publicise our bid. Looks like the snow v plastic argument has somewhat detracted from my original question. On this point, has anyone been to Christchurch in Dorset? Its the only slope in the UK with a totally different covering.

If there are any more thoughts of how we can publicise our bid to Snowheads readers, let me know. For example, are there other threads that we should be posting on?

Keep the support coming at www.Facebook.com/skiglos.

Thanks very much.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The supposed new snow dome at Weston Super Mare is probably sitting in their heads. Good time to sell
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowSport Fan,
Quote:

Looks like the snow v plastic argument has somewhat detracted from my original question
Welcome to snowHead ! Laughing Laughing

Haven't been to Christchurch, what are they packing there instead of dendix/snoflex?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Christchurch has proslope matting:

http://www.proslope.com/about
http://www.snowtrax.eu/blog/ski-matting/

I also know that Norwich have a small amount of proslope that they are trialling - but I've not heard any feedback about it.
ski holidays
Christchurch are using Proslope.
latest report
RobW, I am just a member at Norwich so not fully informed - but the sample of proslope has been removed and is now used on the uptrack. I believe the racers didn't rate it and it was deemed unsuitable to replace the dendix mian slope.
latest report
If we are successful with our bid, one of the main focuses will be on marketing - optimising the customer experience, introducing new services, targeting potential new markets, and of course having effective promotion to grab and maintain everyone's attention. We need to find a way of encouraging people scared to death of Dendix to come and use the facilities, whilst maintaining and enhancing the racers' experience too. Not a small ask, but certainly achievable to our excellent team.

Keep tagging our Facebook page - we have a target of 500 "likes" by the end of the weekend. Help us get there!
snow conditions
The best of luck, SSF

andyph wrote:
RobW, have to agree with Richard_Sideways. With the greatest respect to Gloucester et al outdoor slopes, the worst indoor snow > the best plastic matting.

I'd prefer skiing at Gloucester to Milton Keynes any time and any conditions! (OK maybe MK is adequate the first 15 minutes in the morning after opening, and I might give Glos a miss in a monsoon). Even though Hemel is a nice place to be, there are too many times that the slope is too rutted to be of any use other than practicing your mogul skiing - but then the ruts are not big enough to even make that practice worth-while. Sad

Re Christchurch: I skied there for the Snowsports South Winter race a couple of months ago. Very positive feelings, particularly as a learners' surface. For racing there can be more grip than Dendix, but it may force you on to your edges rather too quickly to be great on your knees. Main problem for racing is flexibility of pole positioning - there is a solution, but to give the same flexibility as Dendix would be prohibitively expensive. The locals really love it, but they're not such high level racers as at Norwich. The Snowsports South summer race there this year is 8th September.
snow report
GrahamN, I know you have a love of SL so do you mean skiing or racing? I can imagine that racers approach any slope as a chance to polish technique, but is that going to appeal to the majority of recreational skiers? Mightn't it even put them off, thinking that dendix = racing?
snow report
andyph, depends what you mean by "recreational". I don't think I'd go to any artificial slope (even Landgraaf) purely for the enjoyment of bimbling about on skis - there just isn't the range of terrain and variety of views to sustain general interest for more than about 30 mins. But if that were the case, Gloucester still wins pretty much hands down in southern England (Pontypool - now only very limited opening - is the only place to give it any competition in the south; Pendle is supposed to be impressive but I've never skied there, nor Rossendale).

Artificial slopes are for developing/polishing technique - in gates or outside them - and retaining ski-fitness to make the most of the rare occasions we can get to the mountains. That's why I started at our local slope - I had no intention or desire to race at all at the beginning. The racing came as a natural consequence of what you can do in 100-200m.

Unfortunately I don't ski at Gloucester as much as I'd like as there are 8 slopes (and a burned out one Wink ) closer to me than Glos.
snow conditions
I don't want to get involved in a long argument with anyone about pros and cons of dry slopes v domes so I'm just going to stick to a few observations.

Firstly as some of you will know I have an interest in as far as I do some instruction at Gloucester but I also know some of the people involved in the WSM snow dome project and would love to see the dome built so I have no particular axe to grind with regards that development either. However it's fair to say that the latter is currently still on the drawing board whilst the Gloucester slope is a going concern so slightly different.

As far as I understand it the previous sale failed not due to lack of interest but due to an over-inflated asking price and a lack of negotiating 'skills' and flexibility on the part of the then owners, the now bankrupt Ramada hotel group; perhaps this tells us something about how they managed to bankrupt the business in the first place but I digress!

Let me also make it clear that there is no question about the profitability of the slope but I do think the comments above about lack of marketing etc. are valid.

As for snowdomes v dry I personally think both have their place and have been struck by the number of clients I meet (particularly this season) who comment on how expensive domes are in comparison with a slope like Gloucester and how much they enjoy using the slope (often much to their own surprise). Personally if I were not in 'the business' but wanted to ski regularly (as in at least once a week, perhaps more) I would find regular dome sessions too expensive but would find regular dry slope sessions far better value for money and more affordable.

Believe me I'd love to see Llangraff style dome with a similar pricing structure (and that might actually be a game changer) but as current prices in the UK stand I tend to view dry slopes as something of a more affordable resource that could be used regularly by a wider cross section of the community and domes as an occasional pleasure. Of course I guess if someone was flushed with money (particularly after recent tax cuts for the rich lol) or if someone was only using a dome as a pre-holiday refresher and/or only wanted a once a month or more irregular blast then a dome might be affordable and to their taste but I do feel that both have their place and a large outdoor slope like Gloucester is an important resource that can and should survive and prosper.

Each to their own as they say but personally I'd like to see both a dome and a dry slope in the South West - best of both worlds IMHO snowHead
snow report
Quote:

dry slopes just don't attract paying customers anymore.

Since Christchurch put the Proslope down the slope has got seriously busy, it has attracted freestylers and boarders in their droves, so much so that race training is now shared with recreation skiing on the evening sessions due to the extra demand.
snow report
SnowSport Fan, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I'd like to wish you all the very best in your bid. It's the slope I learnt to ski on (and, having skied on many, the only dry-slope I would ever consider using these days). I shall be petitioning all of my friends who also had their first taste of skiing at the ski centre to 'back your bid' (so to speak). Very Happy
snow report
skisimon wrote:
SnowSport Fan, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I'd like to wish you all the very best in your bid. Gloucester is the slope I learnt to ski on (and, having skied on many, the only dry-slope I would ever consider using these days). I shall be petitioning all of my friends who also had their first taste of skiing at the ski centre to 'back your bid' (so to speak). Very Happy
snow report
Thanks Skisimon, your support is much appreciated. I would also like to explain a little more about how our deal is structured, to help everyone's understanding.

If our bid succeeds, all staff at the centre will become shareholders, the extent of their shareholding being determined by their own financial circumstances. After all of the employees have as many shares as they choose, the remainder (if any) will be taken by a small number of individual backers, each snow sport fans like me and each with the drive, vision and enthusiasm to work with the staff team to develop what is currently an excellent facility into a world class one.

Keep backing us at Facebook.com/skiglos.

Thanks.
ski holidays
Good luck for your bid.

I have fantastic memories of dry slope skiing, of whizzing down the slopes at Sheffield Ski Village, enjoying the length, width and variety of slopes. I always enjoyed skiing under the floodlights with a fantastic view of Sheffield lights. Unfortunately that was back in the day when it was actually maintained to a safe and enjoyable standard.You know, with a working T bar, full height main slope, sprinkler system on, matting edges properly secured, worn matting replaced etc etc but sadly all that maintenance stopped years ago.

So basically I def think there is a place for dry slopes - but you need to be long and really well maintained.
latest report
Thanks Kat. The slopes at Gloucester are fortunately quite long and our maintainance manager, Simon, is excellent. You're quite right, to be a commercial success a dry slope needs to meet (exceed?) customer expectations. Which means all equipment working properly, slope surface predictably even and sliding well, somewhere inviting to relax and have a drink/ bite to eat afterwards, etc.

If we succeed, this is a bear minimum we will promise.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If we're successful in our bid to buy Gloucester Ski & Snowboard Centre, we want to make it a world class place to ski, board, tube, etc.

Post your ideas for the things we could do to achieve our goal. Anything you like, ideas you have seen at other centres (or even in resort), services we could offer, extra bits to delight clients and keep they coming back, etc.
ski holidays
Actually I find Gloucester pretty good. But improvements could include:

There appears to be some very large gaps between poles on the lifts - as if some have been taken out.

If the slope can take it it would be nice to have the top section reinstated

A bit more car parking would be nice.

However, many years ago when the Sheffield slope first went broke, I was told that it is only the bottom 50m of any slope in the UK that makes any money. Therefore I think you should really concentrate on making the instructional side of things absolutely top notch. And tell every one about it.

When are you selling shares to punters?

The best of luck.
snow report
Thanks John, nice ideas which we can easily implement. There must be an optimum spacing between individual buttons on a drag lift, producing the maximum uplift per hour, but without everyone ending up in a heap!
snow conditions
Hello to all,

Do someone know who to contact to hire a ski and snowboard show (slope and skiers)? We need it for a trade show in Croatia. Something like the "Daily Mail show" discussed on this forum.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers
snow conditions
SnowSport Fan,

I live fairly close to Gloucester and that is where I (and Mrs Cad) learnt to snowboard. We would definitely come back and use it often..... if you laid some more snowflex, proslope etc. For us snowboarding on dendix is a big no I'm afraid.

Interesting that use of Christchurch has gone up since they laid proslope.

Good luck with your bid.
ski holidays
Oh dear, a slope surface debate. Personally I will not ski on anything other than dendix - though I can certainly understand it's problems for those on the dark side. Toofy Grin

SnowSport Fan, (sort of asking the same question as John here), if you do have any shares left over, do you yet have any idea who your 'individual backers' will be? I'd be delighted, as a local with a great deal of affection, to pitch in. snowHead
snow conditions
skisimon, No not a debate. The OP asked for ideas/wants. I gave her mine.
snow conditions
Cad, if our bid succeeds, we will find a way of satisfying the race purists who love Dendix, beginners who want a soft landing, recreational skiers of a certain age (myself included) who would like their falls to be on a forgiving surface, and terrain park lovers. No mean feat, but certainly possible I think.

Re the private investors, that is already decided I'm afraid. However, one idea is to get a group of keen Cotswold skiers and pitch in to buy some apartments in resort. Probably a year down the line, but would be good to assess interest.....
snow conditions
SnowSport Fan, Just want to wish you the best of luck with your plans. I often drive down the M5 on business and can see the slope from the motorway, reading this thread has encouraged me to put my boots in the car and stop en-route for a slide sometime. My local slopes are Tamworth and MK, but I have used the slope at Christchurch and Plymouth (proslope and dendix/permasnow respectively). I agree with much of the stuff above about marketing however, it's very important to get your messages 'out there'. Please keep this site updated as part of your comms, I'll certainly spread the word in conversation - particularly with some work colleagues of mine based at our Gloucester Office.
snow conditions
SnowSport Fan wrote:
one idea is to get a group of keen Cotswold skiers and pitch in to buy some apartments in resort
Resort?
ski holidays
SnowSport Fan wrote:
one idea is to get a group of keen Cotswold skiers and pitch in to buy some apartments in resort
Resort?
ski holidays
Sorry for the delay Simon, been travelling back from Val Thorens. Snowed most of the week,only downside was no vis.

Not even at the initial stages of considering resort. But the usual would certainly apply - high enough to be snow sure from December to end March, winter and summer traffic, for sure ski-in, ski-out, and ideally scheduled UK flights with transfer time under two hours.

Scuba dancer, you can be sure I will keep everyone updated via the site. You can also check out latest news at Facebook.com/skiglos. Hope to see you and your colleagues at our slope if Jupiter Hotels give us good news.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy