Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking of buying my own skis - how often will they need servicing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if this seems an ignorant question rolling eyes I've always hired skis up until now, but am thinking of buying my own.

Just need some advice on what sort of servicing they would need, how often, and how much should I expect to pay? Is it easy to wax them yourself?

I'll probably be getting some ex-hire skis, primarily so that I've got something to use for trips to Scotland, but might take them away to the Alps too, depending on what I get.

Thanks Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ex-hire will likely already be trashed, buy normal second hand or new but previous season if you're wanting cheap.

I only service my skis once or twice a season, but I ski mainly offpiste so don't care much about how sharp edges are most of the time. Racers will service after every race. How often do you ski each season, and what sort of skiing?

A (fullprice) full service (including p-texing scratches etc) usually costs around €30 in much of Austria.

Definitely possible to do it yourself, no doubt someone soon will post a link to spyderjohn's tuning/servicing courses.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

How often do you ski each season, and what sort of skiing?

Two to three weeks per season - mostly on the piste at the moment, plus the odd day/weekend in Scotland.

I might have second thoughts about ex-hire skis now though (had seen some on Ebay I was very tempted by).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have bought 3 pairs of ex hire skis over the years and they have been in good condition. The high end ones do not appear to get much use over the season and some have appeared almost new. Look carefully before you buy, concentrating on how thick the edges and base are and looking for any gouges. Unfortunatelly the really cheep ones are priced like that because they are wrecked. This time of year and during the summer many resort shops are offereing them. Last year I was very tempted by a pair of Salomon Xwing Tis at under 1/2 price. They were, however, too long for me.

A basic wax and edge shrarpen in Les Arcs will cost from 10 to 20 euros depending on where you go, but fill holes etc will cost more - I was charged 25 once. Normally I service my own skis after every trip, but if the pistes are particularly firm I will edge sharpen every couple days.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The most important thing that determines how often skis need servicing are the conditions of the slopes, I've skied every day for two weeks before in ideal conditions and other than a bit of self applied wax to the base of the skis I've not needed them to be serviced, conversely I once had to have skis fully serviced twice in 10 days because the conditions were so bad it was damaging both base and edge of the skis.

Waxing skis yourself and even repairing small gouges in the bases are all things you can do yourself, it's also easy enough to take out small nicks or burrs on the edges, but getting a full service once a year is a good idea unless you only ski rarely
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy