Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad habits...?

Poster: A snowHead
Many skiers talk about their skiing "bad habits", which might be a ineffective movements that they have maybe made for a long time or perhaps a stylistic thing which they don't like. Often it can be difficult to break the bad habit because it has been ingrained through many repetitions. Some of the time the bad habit can hold back the skier from making progress, other times it just seems as if they don't like the look of what they are doing even if it doesn't have a significant effect on their skiing.

skimottaret and I have sometimes been asked "how do I stop doing X, Y or Z..." so we're thinking about some new clinics which look in detail at these bad habits and we're trying to get a feel for the range of things that people would like to change about their skiing. Do you have any bad habits that you'd like to address? What's the one thing about your skiing that you'd like to change?

We've got some ideas that we want to develop, but I'm sure there are things that we haven't thought of...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar,
Quote:

Do you have any bad habits that you'd like to address?

Reading snowHead 's when I should be working ? Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, skidding my turns when it gets a bit steeper.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flatulence in Gondolas. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sitting back, esp when it gets steep or in bad visibility.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, I'm probably projecting my individual concerns onto a wider group but I suspect you'd get some interest in a knee-friendly skiing clinic - there seem to be so many with dodgy ones either through injury or wear and tear and I've noticed questions not just about appropriate technique (both skiing and falling) but also looking for advice about how conditions and kit can affect knees. My aim is to do a pre-season confidence-building class (assuming I'm on schedule to be able to ski in October) and was thinking of finding someone to help me specifically feel confident about that sort of thing (not just saying 'don't sit in the back seat') so I can get back out on the slopes first thing next season without any jitters. I had been thinking of getting in touch with you in fact, but then thought best not to jump the gun and get ahead of myself - I haven't even had my ACL repaired yet Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not pole planting far enough forward - which probably leads to inadequate vertical movement.

I know I do it - I have seen the videos - but how to stop ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1. Not keeping my vision up (especially when skiing bumps).
2. Staying out of the back seat (also when skiing the bumps).

Need to practice as much as anything but I haven't skied this winter as much as I would have liked Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, I'm sure you know enough of mine to fill up multiple clinics. rolling eyes
latest report
 cran
cran
Not getting to the first lift before 10am
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks all, how about a couple like

Stemming
Old Skoolers (narrow Stance and facing down the hill)
Heel Pushers
Back Seaters
A Framers
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Toilet Sitters?

Stemming's a good one Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cathy, back seaters was my thinking on that but yours is more descriptive Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, I did think that but you could be in the back seat without 'toilet sitting' couldn't you? Two different bad habits?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mrs jbob despite the best efforts of yours truly and a couple of istd instructors over the years insists on a tiny stem on her turn to the right.
I await with interest the clinic.
snow report
Quote:

I'm sure you know enough of mine to fill up multiple clinics.

skimottaret,
Quote:

Stemming
Old Skoolers (narrow Stance and facing down the hill)
Heel Pushers
Back Seaters
A Framers

See, that's 5 from me already!
Toofy Grin
snow report
Not pole planting!

Not looking relaxed particularly in my upper body

Maybe something on these skidded turns that are my current goal, but that's not really a bad habit - more something I haven't learned yet. Not pole planting really comes under the heading of a bad habit!
latest report
miranda wrote:
rob@rar, I'm probably projecting my individual concerns onto a wider group but I suspect you'd get some interest in a knee-friendly skiing clinic - there seem to be so many with dodgy ones either through injury or wear and tear and I've noticed questions not just about appropriate technique (both skiing and falling) but also looking for advice about how conditions and kit can affect knees.
In the past I've done club sessions on skiing efficiently which seemed to go down well with the less fit/older/subject to wear and tear group (sadly I find myself joining them these days!)
latest report
cran wrote:
Not getting to the first lift before 10am

Not leaving the last bar by 10am.

Nothing wrong with looking down the hill if that is where you are skiing Toofy Grin
snow report
Okanagan wrote:
I've done club sessions on skiing efficiently which seemed to go down well with the less fit/older/subject to wear and tear group

Ahem... I'd prefer to think of us as the 'genicular(ly?) challenged group.'
snow conditions
I'm a back seater, a stemmer, an uphill leg lifter, and a pole-dragger.

NONE of that is gay slang by the way.
snow report
paulio, our target market all in one who needs focus groups Laughing
snow report
It's the stepping/lifting the ski thing that I would want to eradicate the most I must say.
snow report
paulio, I know what the gurus would say about that: "STOP DOING IT!"
I find it strangely comforting to pay good money for technical advice of that sort. rolling eyes wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been trying to stop doing it all season. I still do it.
ski holidays
paulio, The one footed Watermelon drill is your friend Toofy Grin
snow report
skimottaret, the what?
ski holidays
Is it the same as squashing lemons but bigger!? Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, one you probably havent seen... stay tuned i am sure it will be in your future
gatecrasher, nope Very Happy
ski holidays
skimottaret, I can't wait. Although, to be fair, it's not a fault I commonly have (occasionally, yes, but not very often. I think.)

[Hopes he doesn't have too much footage - no pun intended - of me doing just that.]
ski holidays
skimottaret, the suspense is killing me! Laughing
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
facing down the hills

though of course there are situations when this is still good.
ski holidays
snowball, I agree but it depends how you do it, most do it wrong but we have had that conversation somewhere i seem to recall snowHead
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
cathy, back seaters was my thinking on that but yours is more descriptive Smile

How about Back Seat Drivers?
snow conditions
Skiing too round a line

Skiing too straight a line

Rushing(pivoting) because my line is late(low) (Getting better at riding it out a bit and getting back on line)

Being too harsh on the edges or too heavy on the edges(more angle than needed so I'm slower than I could be)

Not flattening ??inside?? ski quite enough when I spin
latest report
Listening and liking 'Rascal Flatts'

Oh' and stiffening my 'suspension' when my head realises that my heart has taken a line that my body can't deliver . . . this is usually just before impact rolling eyes
snow conditions
letting my right shoulder drift backwards...

thinking there is only one way to ski, when history shows that Ski Instructors will be selling a different way of doing it in 10 years time Wink
ski holidays
stoat of the dead wrote:

thinking there is only one way to ski, when history shows that Ski Instructors will be selling a different way of doing it in 10 years time Wink

Laughing
latest report
Bad habit...

- Of believing that "feeling is doing" building an image in your head of your own skiing... "what you think you're doing" then seeing the reality.... Embarassed "Bloody GoPro cams!"

- Of believing your coach when they say..."that looks much better!" when they actually mean..."well matey, I gave up on you years ago but you just keep coming back!" Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Getting lazy and not extending fully mid turn.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy