Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where to ski in Feb half-term?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

We are a family of 4 looking to book ski-holiday for Feb half term next year (ie. w/c Feb 17th or 18th), budget about £3k for flights, transfers, accomodation and meals. Was looking at Silver-Ski again (not taking bookings yet but can book entire chalet and many are for half-term) and not 100% convinced of anything possibly available. Hoping to tick most of the following boxes:

- easy access to slopes, ideally no buses required.
- wide area available to ski
- some bars/shops etc near accomodation but not too "lively"
- ideally the accomodation would give our teenage daughters opportunites to make similar aged friends for the week - so a chalet with just one other group for example might be risky on that front

Package such as Silver Ski makes it easy, but happy to book London flights etc separately if that works.

Any guidance appreciated Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
simonx, La Tania would tick the boxes, but we are fully booked for that week - Very Happy for us Sad for you! You could try putting a request up for what you need, and specify La Tania if it appeals (PM me any questions and I'll be happy to help) on the Solutions Room on Chalets Direct
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We drove to Meribel for Feb half term this year, the resort was not very busy compared with previous experience, probably due to the economy. Having the car opens the door to more affordable accommodation and eating, in our case we stayed S/C in Les Allues, which has a good bar, a couple of restaurants and a shop, with a ten minute drive to Meribel (or Courcheval/La Tania). If I were going at half term with 3 or 4, this approach is very cost effective and leaves some pennies for Ski Hire, Lift Passes, Lunches and Lessons. We have done catered chalets with flights lots of times, but I am now firmly convinced that I don't want to pay double the rate for this luxury at half term!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
simonx, the first 3 of your criteria doesn't really narrow it down very much IMO. I could list 10 places off the top of my head. And I am not sure the 4th is a reasonable request.. in that: if you book 4 places in a shared chalet you will have to take what you get in terms of the other occupants. Being half term you would expect there to be families but beyond that who knows.

Is there any more info you can share to narrow it down? Preference on TO, country...? Where have you been before and what did you like? Any need for ski school, equipment hire?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

And I am not sure the 4th is a reasonable request.. in that: if you book 4 places in a shared chalet you will have to take what you get in terms of the other occupants. Being half term you would expect there to be families but beyond that who knows.

Maybe a larger chalet, chalet-hotel or a hotel like club med might be more suitable for the making friends side of things?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks all for the replies Happy
we tend to finish at different times (I always want to get the last lift) so wouldn't want to rely on car for getting to/from resort, wouldn't rule out driving though, albeit flying is the family preference.
Prefer something catered as it works out cheaper and hassle-free (subject to food quality) .... cooking more than twice is a hassle and eating out really ramps up the cost of the holiday - and the quality/variety of veggie food usually disappoints.
[quote="kat.ryb"]
Quote:
Maybe a larger chalet, chalet-hotel or a hotel like club med might be more suitable for the making friends side of things?
that's what I was thinking - club-med a little out of budget though!!

No need for ski-school, equipment hire just for kids, went to La Tania this year, nice but if returning to 3V I'd like to try Meribel or Mottarel next time so we can access more of the resort ... however the weather was an issue most days (Christmas) so that did limit our options.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally, I would rather stay in La Tania than Meribel Mottaret despite the potential to get locked in. Happened to me for a day and a half when I stayed there. However, Meribel will definitely hold more attraction to teenage girls, if they are old enough to "party". A larger chalet hotel will definitely have a bit more buzz I would say. The only time I've stayed in one (albeit it was Val D'Isere) one of the residents was a fire eater! The big TO's like Crystal and Skiworld will have loads of options I would imagine.

Being in the SE I would seriously consider driving out though. With 4 people and and a couple of sets of ski's it should be cost effective and for me more relaxing.. flying these days is such a chore IMO.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We had a good experience with YSL in Val D'Isere. Chalet hotel. You don't say how old your teenagers are...13 or 19? If they are old enough to party then they will find a way wherever you are, if not try a hotel with a pool and bar and so on and go with a lively TO who will organise tobogganing, bowling etc etc .. But then, if you have energy for apres ski...you haven't been skiing hard enough!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy