Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Damn dendex! (or "A post in praise of plastic bristles")

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so I knew that falling on it is more painful than on snow (have had a few mild slow-speed trips&slips on dendex in the past) but nothing prepared me for the feeling last night of hitting the plastic scrubbing brush at speed ......

...... bluddy'ell it HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad

Thankfully nothing was twisted, but I have scabby scrapes on both knees & elbow, with a whoppingly impressive blue/black shiner appearing on the inside of my left knee. There aren't enough frozen peas in my freezer to cover the bruised bits, and I'm typing this with a gel icepak taped to the worst of the bruising. Haven't felt pain like this since I were 5yrs old falling off my bike!

However, if the reports on this site, and elsewhere are anything to go by, I would still prefer dendex. Used to play indoor netball on astroturf (it's faster and more furious than normal netball - and it's a Kiwi thing) & falling over on astroturf caused more pain and cheese-grater damage than last night's effort, which is saying something considering I run at far less than half the speed I ski at.

And at least dendex was invented with "proper" skiing in mind - any gumby can learn on snowflex et al, but thereafter a snowflex slope doesn't have the wherewithall to encourage progression. It seems some slope mangers are VERY short-sighted these days.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Manda, I used to play Hockey ( field ) on what we called redgra which was a hard sand like surface with lots of bits of grit on top. Falling over, and I did many times, on that was awful. I had to go to A&E one night to have the bits of stone/grit removed from my hip - and have the Tetanus jab in the @rse just to add insult to injury.

CP
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CP, I played hockey on redgra too. Happy (if painful) memories.....the grit used to reek havoc on my stick as I recall.... Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[Urban] legend has it that the inventor of Dendix, whose name is on the tip of my fingers, originally decided that the slope should be smooth and the skis should be scrubbing brushes. It's said that he prototyped the idea on the kitchen floor on that basis (sorry, no photos available)

Gell well soon, Manda. It could've been worse. I used to work on a skateboard magazine, where we had regular visits from heroes with various bones in the wrong places.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ooops - sorry Manda, hope the ice is working ! Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, yep, I was lucky - although I screamed so loudly the instructor was initially worried I'd wrenched my knee! Cool

BTW, the bristles shredded my lycra leggings. Denim would be a good idea, but I'd find it too restrictive. What's the preferred trouser fabric for dendex warriors?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Manda, Old trackie bottoms, with waterproof overtrousers. - all need to have friction burns..... rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Manda, I use an old pair of tracksuit bottoms, but don't wear waterproof pants over as they are likely to rip on dendrix. I don't worry about getting wet as the skiing keeps me warm and I change out of the wet bottoms and old pullover nylon jacket after I've been skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Manda, A cheap pair of Moto-X pants would seem to be the best idea. Most of them have built in hip and knee protection. Check out ebay for 2hnd stuff.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski, davidb, you sure that's enough protection from the deadly bristles? I was thinking about some roomy canvas cargos until it gets cold enough and then I'd invest in some cheap but heavy ski trousers (wot I don't intend to take to the snow....)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, postings in the night.....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, thanks for the tip - being a girl an' all I wouldn't have thought of moto X! eBay is indeed off-loading 2nd hand trousers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Manda, I have seen some folk wearing Moto-X stuff.... I'd be worried about lack of mobility tho'. I've broken my thumb a few times, and done a fair few falls - seems to be enough for me..... Puzzled

Mrs Ski bruises much much easier than me however, so she likes to wear a few more layers.

Hope that helps, and you get back on your skis soon snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CP wrote:
I had to go to A&E one night to have the bits of stone/grit removed from my hip - and have the Tetanus jab in the @rse just to add insult to injury.

Smashed my tib and fib many years ago playing football on astroturf (i think the boot/leg doesn't release as easily on grass) ended up in Cardiff Royal Infirmary. The first thing the orthopaedic surgeon said to me and his minnions was "Make sure he gets a tetanus injection for that (astroturf) burn on his elbow" Shocked

I was more concerned with the bones in my lower right leg grinding together like a sack of beef joints Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski, Sitting on a bike is pretty much right for skiing.
ski holidays
Manda, I also wear a mountain bike body armour (similar to the motorbike protection jacket) underneath the jacket, as I've had some heavy falls in the past, but only on the upper body particularly around the shoulder and jaring of the neck. The bruising and soreness lasts for a few days and I struggle to move my arms without pain. So I decided to wear protection, which is a little expensive, but worth it as I've had some heavy falls and have been fine, and I no longer wake up the next morning feeling like I've been run over.
ski holidays
Manda, Could be worse try falling on tarmac. Skiied the Scottish Roller ski championship at the weekend at Huntly. Nordic rather than downhill, but there is a hill on the course and you get up to a fair old speed and falling is not nice. One of the RAF racers was telling me of one of the Euoropean courses which has a 300m long steep downhill section where falling means large areas of missing skin. There are some piccies at http://www.huntly.net/nordicski/index.htm luckily none of me!
latest report
Masque what kind of sking do YOU do, exactly? wink
snow report
Masque, Hmm - you must ride a different one to me !
snow report
Manda, horizontal . . . Confused

but I was referring 'ski' to the range of movement available
snow conditions
But thinking about it, a moto X'r standing on his pegs will have his centre of mass just in front of his toes and his hands reaching forward at about waist height . . . sounds OK to me for a reasonable ski stance.
ski holidays
Masque, Shocked Shocked Embarassed
Laughing
latest report
Manda, I use my trusty old Rodeo (racers?) salopettes - skintight with a load of padding on the shins. Just about stand up to the frequent falls I subject them to, although looking a bit scuffed now. No serious scrapes so far, but I've recently had a couple of excellent tumbles involving flying through the air and landing directly on my right knee. The last time it blew up pretty impressively, to about the size of a substantial grapefruit, and clearly got some internal bleeding as there was some lovely purple brising from mid thigh to mid calf, and a couple of patches down on my feet, but it wasn't quite enough to stop me walking Corsica coast-to-coast a week later Blush . According to the doctor I have an inflamed pre-patellar bursa - aka housemaid's knee Crying or Very sad . Should be OK as long as I don't do it again rolling eyes Confused . (She did also agree that this was probably pointless advice Laughing ). Time for some shin/knee-guards methinks.
ski holidays
thread reminds Greg why he avoids plastic slopes Very Happy
latest report
Thread informs cathy why she should not try plastic slopes Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I went skiing at the warmwell holidya park in dorset last week, they have a 110 metre snowflex slope....

I paid £8.0 for an hour and handed back my stuff 5 mins later.... I could only go in straight lines !

Horrid stuff, like skiing on tarmac.
latest report
Royal, I spent my childhood just down the road from Warmwell in Wool!
snow conditions
ahhh wool very nice place to live, the warmwell place is very good too, pity they dont have a real snow slope though !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's yellow and purple now. My bruise, that is. Pitty I don't have a port to upload the pix Little Angel

Cathy Coins no, not really. People who normally go the speed that I was doing, can actually ski. Which helps with the not falling over. snowHead In any case dendix is better than NOT skiing at all. Toofy Grin

Royal, yeah, but not like skiing tarmac cause tarmac stops you dead, thereby preventing buildup of ANY speed. wink
The apparent pit-falls of dendix are infact it's benefit - i.e. because you have to really work on good form (in order to avoid, for one, the bruising), your skiing improves dramatically. I initially found it impossible to put in more than 4 turns on the Soton dendex slope, and most of those were skidded to some extent. After some coaching I was up to about 10 turns on a good day. Some even carved!
snow conditions
Manda,
Denim trews are the best for dendix - buy a cheap pair a couple of sizes too big, so OK for mobility.
snow report
Manda, it's not just plastic. I'm limping round this morning having straddled a gate at Castleford last night. My ski didn't release but flipped me up enough to land very heavily on my hip about twelve feet from the offending gate Evil or Very Mad

I'm pleased to say that I drew warm applause, cheers and shouts of "Nine out of ten!" from the poma. I'm buying some of those protective shorts pdq.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy