Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what resort in N America

Poster: A snowHead
No, it doesn't get crowded. Not at Snowbasin.

However, the drive up is pretty hairy when it's actually snowing. Since there's little on slope lodging, doing that drive daily for 2 weeks isn't a holiday.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tahoe's been mentioned a few times and if the OP really doesn't want to hire a car, then South Lake Tahoe is a great base. You have Heavenly right there in town with an extensive shuttle bus service that links all major lodging locations and base areas together, but there are also dedicated ski coach services to Kirkwood, Sierra at Tahoe and Squaw Valley (also shuttle between Squaw and Alpine). You can get about some fantastic mountains without the need for a car - saves quite a lot of cash too, esp as you'll want a 4wd with snow tyres to avoid faffing about with snow chains, let the bus driver worry about the chains, also you'll find many higher quality US accommodation places will hit you with Valet Parking charges on top of your car hire.

If you really want to improve your off-piste and powder skills, I'd consider looking at some specially targeted lessons or multi day clinics. You can find untracked in Kirkwood days after it snowed if you know where to look, Expedition Kirkwood can help you find it and help you ski it better.

You can get to South Lake Tahoe from Reno airport with the South Tahoe Express coach service (pretty much round the clock), but my experience is you'll get better value from direct flights to San Francisco International (SFO). The travel arrangement I've used the last couple of times is fly into SFO, stay at the San Francisco Airport South Travelodge (free courtesy bus) at Millbrae for the first night.

Across the street from the Travelodge is Millbrae BART Station (metro - much more space for taking luggage on than the London Underground), take an early morning BART service from there to Richmond, to connect to an Amtrak Capitol Corridor service to Sacramento, from where an Amtrak coach takes you onwards to South Lake Tahoe (bus has toilet and free wifi onboard). Remember the early start on day one is no issue, with an 8 hour time difference 5am is 1pm UK time!

Certainly take a look at the season pass situation - with Kirkwood being taken over by Vail for a 2 week stay this could make sense. There are also Ski Lake Tahoe six packs that are sold in the autumn and there is also a 7-day epic pass valid across Vail Resorts, which might be an option if you want to be more flexible where you ski. Whatever you do ticket wise, don't pay the daily rackrate at the Ticket Office!! Many accommodation establishments will be able to sell you 2 day tickets for not much more than a 1 day ticket rack rate in the resort ticket office.

One thing you can do while at South Lake Tahoe is go to Squaw Valley by coach and return by a dinner cruise on Lake Tahoe aboard the Tahoe Queen paddle steamer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abc, I know it doesnt get crowded at either of the mountains Madeye-Smiley but I didnt think there was any slope podging at Snowbasin Puzzled there didnt appear to be any when we were there, and very limited lodgings at Pow.Mtn.

The drives to either arent too bad if you stay somewhere between the two wink

Again though I dont think the OP wishes to drive anywhere to get the goods.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bones, my brother skied for free at Powder Mtn. for several years, he loved that place. Crowds in UT sounds awful. Tough getting around in the west without some driving.

Royal pain to get to without driving but Targhee would probably get the Pow he'd also improve his whiteout skiing. Guess he's back to W/B.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, think Fernie ticks most of your boxes. Offers some on mountain accomodation, you'll probably have a decent enough powder stash for yourself, some milder conditions for the missus. Kids entertainment may be a bit sparse in the evening, but thats what boardgames are for, and you can always take them to a Ghostriders game one night.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Vail
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Consider New Mexico in the Taos area - maybe red River for a couple of days warm up - ski slopes finish on Main Street, and then off to the big one, Taos Ski valley.

it could very easily be combined with a second week up in Colorado - the state line is about 60 miles north of Taos.

And of course you've got Taos town and Pueblo which are really worth a visit.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for advice. Lots of places I would like to go. But from looks of things from early enquiries I don't know if price will be justifiable. Would prefer two Europe ski trips than one American and that's what it will boil down to.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sometimes, you have to pay the price to get to the level you want!

Skiing in north America allows you 2 weeks of unlimited off-piste without paying for a guide. No neccessarily powder per se, but all sort of off-piste is up to you to decide. If you add up the guiding cost, I suspect the calculation might be less one-sided. More significantly, you don't have to worry about holding up the group. So you can try things you might not attempt while your group was waiting impatiently.

If you really are trying to overcome your limitation on those occasional off-piste days in Europe, going to north America will give you a good deal of practice. You can add a few lessons specific to handling of off-piste condition, with days of practice in between too.

I've heard this a lot from other snowheads "it's quite a lot of money to go to North America". But do you want to continue to struggle on those occasional guilded off-piste days? Or do you want to get a whole load of off-piste in one year, so you can feel a lot more comfortable next year?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm planning a North America Bash for next season, I need to co-ordinate with admin for dates and poll the forum for numbers and location preference . . . I'm leaning toward Colorado, Breck for ease of transport links and a good variety of hills and I'll agree with abc that 2 weeks is the optimum so my research has been for 2 weeks of accommodation but flexible enough to cater for those that can just do the one.

Of course it could be planned with more 'backcountry' emphasis and be called The Deliverance Bash . . . already practising my five finger pickin' Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, ohhh waaaant.... but suspect missus will make me squeal like a piggy if I suggested I go to US...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, Great idea, dependant on numbers have you considerd staying in Dillon, you are then right in the centre of the ski triangle, Breck, Copper, Keystone, Beaver, Arapahoe and Vail just down I70 with free buses to all, some great bars and nightlife, you can look at the snow reports in the morning and pick the best place to ski.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
leedsunited wrote:
Masque, Great idea, dependant on numbers have you considerd staying in Dillon, you are then right in the centre of the ski triangle, Breck, Copper, Keystone, Beaver, Arapahoe and Vail just down I70 with free buses to all, some great bars and nightlife, you can look at the snow reports in the morning and pick the best place to ski.

Yes and no.

Dillon might be cheaper and more central if you want to sample all the resorts. But EVERYDAY, you'll be getting into a car or bus to get to the skiing.

Staying at Breck, you get to walk to the lift for SOME of the days. Some people might prefer that instead.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would have thought it would be nicer to keep everyone more or less in one place, so that people can meet up at lunchtime and after skiing. It would be a shame for a bash to become too fragmented.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's why breck is first on the list, one of the few with on-slope accommodation . . . I don't want to drive a bus EVERY day . . . but there will be excursions Twisted Evil
snow conditions
abc, when you put it like that I gotta go!

What travel agent do you work for, sign me up

I also have a fixed idea that for the kids, a couple of weeks of All-American enthusiastic encouraging tuition will stand them in good stead for years.

Plus OH can go to swimming pool, watch movies etc in afternoon and I get to ski all by myself
snow report
Masque, I think snowmass has very-close-to-slope accommodation also and from my research and many replies on this thread has perhaps the best skiing in Colorado with least queues, and Aspen to try out also. I think if I go across the pond I am settled on either there or Whistler
snow conditions
patricksh,In North America you would not class a lift que in the same way as Europe, the lines move fast and even when busy have been IME a lot smaller than those in Europe, also added benefit is that you generally do not have any erks jumping all over your ski's and barging through, all very civilised you know!
snow report
In the middle of nowhere but for guaranteed powder and zero crowds. Grand Targhee.
latest report
If you're considering Summit County Masque then Keystone gets my vote.

Ski-in, ski-out accommodation
Great terrain variety
Great park
Great ski school
Closest to A-Basin for those wanting more of a challenge
ski holidays
patricksh wrote:
Masque, I think snowmass has very-close-to-slope accommodation also and from my research and many replies on this thread has perhaps the best skiing in Colorado with least queues, and Aspen to try out also. I think if I go across the pond I am settled on either there or Whistler

Now we're talking!
Those two are very good choices. Both got good variety of terrain, also their ski schools had specially good reputation.

Quote:

What travel agent do you work for, sign me up

Travel agent? You mean the poor soul who stay up all night researching all the possible flights and lodging and lift passes? That would be me! Sad And I typically use kayak.com as a starting point.

But from UK, you might be able to get a package deal that beats individual bookings.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 14-04-12 3:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
patricksh wrote:
Thanks for advice. Lots of places I would like to go. But from looks of things from early enquiries I don't know if price will be justifiable. Would prefer two Europe ski trips than one American and that's what it will boil down to.

Looking at Expedia, flights to Jackson Hole seem to be around £680ish for 12 nights straddling half term. That's around £100 more than last year, which is a bummer. American Ski Classics has accommodation in the very acceptable (modern, well maintained, indoor and outdoor swimming pool, indoor and outdoor hot tub, sauna and even free wifi) Lodge at Jackson Hole for £148 each including a cooked breakfast and a free ski bus to the slopes, provided you all share a very large room. Taking a second room would obviously increase the price a little.

Where in Europe would you get two ski trips for £828 during the school holidays? Please let me know so I can book too.
snow conditions
Quote:

But from UK, you might be able to get a package deal that beats individual bookings.

You don't want to be saying things like that on here - The DIY evangelists will soon descend in their masses crying "Blasphemy" and burning non believers at the stake. Laughing
snow conditions
Jonny Jones, I can seriously recommend the Lodge at Jackson, just had 7 nights there. Great place with a fantastic breakfast - so much so I didnt really bother with lunhces at all Toofy Grin

My room was good, until they told me I had to move due to the refurb. The second room was fabulous ( a room after the refurb. ) They did credit me a nights cost for the hassle of room changing and a lso credited $100 due to the renovation work going on. I would seriously consider staying there again if heading that way. Contact the ladge direct and they do lodging and ski packs but you would have to check American Ski Classics total price for both too.
latest report
Bones wrote:
Jonny Jones, I can seriously recommend the Lodge at Jackson, just had 7 nights there. Great place with a fantastic breakfast - so much so I didnt really bother with lunhces at all Toofy Grin

We stayed there in February. The hotel was great and I'd certainly go back. Definitely one of the better places that I've stayed on a skiing trip, although it's not very central. But for that price, you can't go wrong: it's $250 per room per night in the summer.
snow report
Quote:

it's $250 per room per night in the summer.

Not surprised, Jacksons tourist industry is a lot bigger in the summer than the winter wink I didnt mind the location having a car since I drove up from SLC. I've also been offered a room to stay in by the guy who runs the bank in Jackson, if I head that way again Madeye-Smiley Met him in a bar that I frequented quite regularly Toofy Grin

Breakfast was good wasnt it Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Bones wrote:
Quote:

it's $250 per room per night in the summer.

Not surprised, Jacksons tourist industry is a lot bigger in the summer than the winter wink I didnt mind the location having a car since I drove up from SLC. I've also been offered a room to stay in by the guy who runs the bank in Jackson, if I head that way again Madeye-Smiley Met him in a bar that I frequented quite regularly Toofy Grin

Breakfast was good wasnt it Madeye-Smiley
What kind of deposit is he looking for wink
ski holidays
leedsunited, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy