Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCGB rep resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Now I'm aware the can of worms may be opened with this one wink BUT - I'm just wondering how it is decided which resorts have an SCGB rep. I assume the resort has to invite the SCGB to have a rep and then the SCGB looks at resources of money and people to decide which resorts to have a rep in. Costs are split between the resort and the SCGB. Is this correct?

It just seems strange that Big White and Sun Peaks in Canada (where we hope to be going next season) have reps out there, admittedly not for the whole season (I think Big White is for about 4 weeks & Sun Peaks for about 3 months). Now I really don't think these reps are going to be rushed off their feet - I doubt that many Brits go out there never mind those who are members. And if they are looking to sign up new members its hardly fertile recruiting ground. So why have a presence there? There are many much more popular resorts that would benefit from having a rep.

Can anyone shed a little bit of light on this?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cathy, having been a member on and off (mainly on) since 1962 I guess I ought to be able to answer that one - but I can't!

I've always been interested that the Club has no representation in the Scottish ski areas. The Club was very much rooted in Scotland for much of the last century, because that's where the most accessible snow was (foreign travel was relatively expensive and slow until air travel took over). Scottish skiing began to grow significantly in the early 1960s, with the building of ski lifts and construction of the Aviemore Centre in the mid-1960s. But I'm not sure if or when the Club ever had reps up there.

Are we (as SCGBers) a 'foreign power' in our own land?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But would you see the jackets, old or new, for the wind, rain and hail ? - Well that's my memory of Scottish skiing anyway - though I only went a couple of times when our local ski club had a coach going up there and I had a free bunk at my friend Frank's cottage at Nethybridge.
BTW - if you're out there Frank please PM me via this website !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cathy Coins, you have a very valid point and I would be interested to see the end of season daily statistics of how many members/potential members skied with the reps in US & Canada. Personally I feel that having reps in North America is a status symbol and wuld far rather see a rep in resorts like Villars who apparently have 60% British visitors in the winter.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skilegs, ah, well having just skiied with both the reps in BW & SP I can give you some idea just based on our limited time there.

Big White - I think we were probably the only non-resident/season skiier to ski with John, although as we didn't ski with him every day I can't say that for sure. However, I know that the following weeks he must have had quite a few to ski with as quite a few we met up with in Sun Peaks were heading over to BW next.

Sun Peaks - Stephen must have skiied with about 20-25 different people during our week there and signed up for membership at least 3 different sets of people that I know of. There may have been others. He talked to a lot of different people, encouraged them to come out & ski with him and at least two of the people signed up for membership that way. Not all the members were British, one was a Canadian member of some 25 years and one an Australian.

I think those resorts are very keen to have an SCGB rep to try and raise their profile as a resort destination in the UK. So they provide good accommodation and are very cooperative with the reps - the reps are allowed to put their programmes up all over the resort - in Sun Peaks I think it was in about 23 establishments. They like to see lots of people skiing with the rep. And, as I've just written in the Resorts section, we really had a great time with the reps so they certainly made our holiday enjoyable Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skilegs, Cathy Coins, I recently started a thread over on SCGB on this precise topic - it would be interesting if you would nominate resorts and provide some back-up and reasonings for and against particular resorts that you've been to and from your skiing experience. Hopefully the resorts' success are reviewed annually and all input is most welcome.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy