Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of GB family membership policy: will this affect you?

Poster: A snowHead
The Ski Club has just announced a significant change of membership policy. Up to now all children up to 18 years have been included in a family membership. From this autumn, all 'children' up to 24 years will be included. The family subscription rises from £70 to £75.

Will this affect you?

Are you aged 18-24, currently paying an independent subscription of £16? (which is the under-24 rate). From this autumn, your subscription can be covered by your family if they're members. You may lose a vote in controlling the Club (I think two votes are granted per family, though). And I guess it will be more difficult to read the magazines etc. if you're not living at home, if you resign as an individual member.

Do you pay a family subscription? Is the new deal an incentive to you to continue paying the family rate if your kids depart the nest?

Are you more likely to join the Ski Club as a family as a result of this new policy? Are you less likely to join the Club as an 'Under 24' as a result of this new policy - but would you be able to persuade your family to take out a family subscription?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It will affect us as this seems to be the only membership category to have the fees increased this year, the others have stayed the same Evil or Very Mad (as a couple you can have family membership even if not married Shocked and this is obviously cheaper than two individual memberships).

It is still very much worth it just from the financial point of view - for our £75 membership we will have saved £260 off our hols to Canada (10% discount with Ski Independence) and we have a voucher for 10% off at Ellis Brigs - will save that for when we purchase more expensive items all together a bit later on. And other discounts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why would I join the Ski Club? Maybe for the discounts, but most are available without being a member Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll benefit, (IF I renew my membership) my daughter is now 16 and my well be off on her own to ski before she is 24. I paid the family rate anyway when I first joined as it was cheaper than the individuals for my wife and I.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have decided not to renew my membership this year, it wasn't even worth the discounts last year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, Do you really belong to any other clubs that you would expect to get all of your subs. back in discounts ?
Personally, I find the benefits that I use vary from year to year - perhaps a holiday, perhaps skiing with reps, perhaps buying new kit and getting discounts.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scrumpy, I ski in Serre Chevalier(we have an apartment there) and there isn't even a rep there to ski with , hence my reluctance to renew. When we were in Whistler in March, we did try to meet up with the rep, but there was no-one at the meeting place that day. I'm sure many others get the benefits of the membership. I joined as they used to offer discounted holidays through Thomas Cook, which gave me a considerable saving off a trip to Banff.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, Reading this site and the SCGB message board you are giving us plenty of info that I would certainly have missed. You have been posting lots of different topics recently (including one that seemed to be mostly removed by SCGB). Is there a reason for that? Reading the message board on the SCGB there seems to be a malaise in the club (fewer discounts, queries about the rep service etc). Reading from the outside it starts to look like the club's days are numbered?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chrisb, I don't think its days are numbered but perhaps the way that it is organised now that it is a limited company has changed its structure somewhat, from being a club to being a commercial organisation, as such I'm less convinced that it is looking after members interests ahead of its commercial aspect, another reason for me not renewing my subscription this year.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
D G Orf, sounds about right. The AA and RAC were clubs once upon a time as well. Wonder if the carpetbaggers will move in ?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chrisb ... I'll PM you. Stuff that's essentially internal to the Club and its paying subscribers is probably best kept in the box. This thread topic seemed worthwhile for open discussion because the subscription terms relate to potential members too.

I don't think the Club's days are numbered at all. Relevance and purpose are the ongoing issues. Extinction isn't a natural event after an organisation reaches its 100th birthday - it's just a question of re-discovering time-true objectives. The Club's website has huge potential, and it would be nice to see the central command mixing it with the Great Unwashed General British Skiing Public (who don't include snowHeads, because they are perfectly hygenic).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith, I am sure the odd snowhead gets a bit sweaty by the end of the ski ing day?

But on the point of the thread, thanks for the background.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If the SCGB was to float, maybe snowHeads could club together and buy a majority share in it... Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
If the SCGB was to float, maybe snowHeads could club together and buy a majority share in it... Twisted Evil

Why?

Perhaps they will approach snowHead and ask for a merger

snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, I wouldn't want a merger.

Turn it back into a club for skiers, not a business.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Why not club together and buy us a rudder? (please don't quote me on that)
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
boredsurfin, I wouldn't want a merger.

Turn it back into a club for skiers, not a business.

Was it ever a club for all Skiers? it's elitist reputation was richly deserved.
latest report
boredsurfin, go back to the long (50-60 years) era after the Club's formation in 1903 and the Club was essentially non-elitist within a sport that was generally quite up-market because of the high cost of foreign travel - before package holidays and charter flights existed.

It's the advent of popularly-priced travel which has, perhaps, produced a feeling of elitism of many skiers towards the Club.

On the other hand (talking history again) you'd probably find (this is not something I've researched) that northern skiers with local snow in the Scottish highlands - where a large proportion of UK skiing took place in the first half of the 20th century - joined the Ski Club of GB. These skiers were not necessarily wealthy - all they needed was a pair of planks and some personal horsepower.
snow report
David Goldsmith, A rudder would still require a helmsman and a sense of direction wink
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
If the SCGB was to float...

I would just like to point out that the above comments are in no way meant to imply, directly or otherwise, that the SCGB is not floating, but sinking.
Neither does their increase in pricing for families mean that you should consider "women and children first", and that the men should stay behind.

Now, can someone please shut up that Canadian woman, yes, I know her heart will go on, but I was trying to listen to the band play "Nearer My God To Thee".
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh well our family will benefit IF we decide to renew our membership as the 2 youngest can stay on our family membership, whereas they wouldn't have been able to if it had changed. We got our membership primarily for the insurance so we will have to look into it.
snow conditions
Twenty four year old children ? What are they tied to their mother's apron strings ?

They should have been out earning in some capacity from their early teens.

It will not affect me because I had already cancelled my membership.
latest report
Latchigo, up a chimney perhaps? Very Happy
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
Latchigo, up a chimney perhaps? Very Happy

No, that's what they do when they are pre-teens. As soon as they turn 13 they should be down a pit digging for coal.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
... in Meribel.
snow report
A paper round or a Saturday job would not be too onerous.

A bit of exercise won't kill them.

Most of them can't even make their own way to school nowadays.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy