Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recycling /reusing old ski wear

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Between me and Mrs telford_mike, not to mention the telfordettes, we have 20 years worth of old ski jackets etc gathering dust in the loft.

I could send all this stuff to our local authority recycling centre, where it would be turned into soundproofing material or some other low value product. This seems a shame, as it is all perfectly serviceable as long as the wearer isn't remotely fashion concious.

Does anyone know of a charity who can distribute this stuff to people who might actually need some warm clothing?

Thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not take them down the charity shops?
Or if you've got any real shockers glowing up in your loft, stick em on ebay - people love that retro look, the more colourful the better.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm still wearing a 15 year old Columbia jacket that I bought in an end of season sale in Mammoth. I'm a larger person (woman) and quality skiwear is harder to find in Europe in larger women's sizes. If you're ever in Les Gets, I won't be hard to spot.
Anyway, I will second Mr Sideway's advice
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Correction: Mr Sideways' advice (apostrophe - itis)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
EdnaTomkins wrote:
Correction: Mr Sideways' advice (apostrophe - itis)

Damn........ I'd have gone..... Mr Sideways's advice (just incase there were any number of "Mr Sideways" in the plural) Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm going to give theskibob the win here. I am Sideways, the advice was mine, therefore it was Sideways's advice...
...or should it be Sidewayses?

Damn, typed Sideways too much now the all look wrong.

Oh where is Pedantica when you need her?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh I've hardly ever posted on here and I've been found wanting in the punctuation department, which is painful to bear.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try ebay. Worked for some of my old stuff especially for kids' wear which isn't very worn out. Some folk love those old all in one pink/purple/green/blue suits - they have retro ski wear parties, apparently. If not, then send them to Kosovo or Chernobyl? There are several charities collecting for coats for all ages in these areas. Or how about advertising them at Telford dry ski slope? If serviceable they could be just the thing to wear there (dry slopes ruin your clothes! - well the falling over on them does anyway!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You might try http://recycleoutdoorgear.com , I have no idea on the success of this web site.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you for the mention Adrian. Really appreciated.
ROG - http://recycleoutdoorgear.com is very young.
So there is no way we can except the sort of activity on say the Ebays of this world.
But we will one day just so long as people put ads on. We have to have quality of free ads on the service to make it work.

Telford_Mike happy to put an ad on for you if you send me details on this link: http://recycleoutdoorgear.com/contact/

Thanks everyone.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
telford_mike, We sold a load of one piece suits recently to Retro Rentals who host retro parties in resorts across the region. Becoming quite fashionable apparently, like most of my clothes Laughing www.http://retro-rentals.eu/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would imagine that there are any number of doorsteps in London in winter from about 7pm onwards where a warm jacket would find a welcome home.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They'd probably tell you to F off Megamum, go the charity donation route
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
I would imagine that there are any number of doorsteps in London in winter from about 7pm onwards where a warm jacket would find a welcome home.

I've donated warm clothing and food (after parties etc) to St George's Crypt in Leeds a number of times, it's a charity catering for the homeless, I imagine any major city has an equivalent.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
midgetbiker wrote:
Megamum wrote:

I've donated warm clothing and food (after parties etc) to St George's Crypt in Leeds a number of times, it's a charity catering for the homeless, I imagine any major city has an equivalent.

you wouldn't believe the amount of warm clothing we find left after a party Shocked
latest report
midgetbiker, Laughing sounds fun. Can I have an invite to the next one?
snow report
Hi telford_mike, mrs telford_mike and all the telfordetts. Just wondering, if there are any 'retro' all in one ski outfits for men in your pile of goodies? I have a stag do coming up and they're the theme - 80s style ski suits! I'm happy to pay for them but I can't afford much I'm afraid. The funkier the colours the better! Hopefully you can help me out...? Many thanks, JW
snow report
Try getting a stand at the NEC ski show ... & flog it to uneducated amateurs !! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Jonnyw82, If telford_mike can't help you there were some rather very retro fartbags on some of the stands at the NEC show so maybe they are making a comeback (or maybe it was another of the stands selling old kit!)
snow conditions
@midgetbiker +1 for St Georges Crypt
ski holidays
Took my old ski trousers to a local charity shop other week. The mum of one of my clients works there (I am a drug cousnellor). I was slightly surprised today when my client turned up wearing my old ski trousers!

I didn't say anything; thought it would be mean to point out he was wearing ladies ski trousers! and it's a relatively warm day!
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:

This is where all my old skiwear goes. Not been told to eff off yet, and if I were, I'd try to give it to someone else.

I mostly give it directly to my local shelter, though, and they hand it out to the homeless folk themselves. Thisis what I do with all serviceable, warm old clothes. I don't go to charity shops, as the sale money has so many deductions taken from it for the charity's expenses before actually reaching anyone needy.
ski holidays
Ooops it's just me then that leaves one old ski jacket in the garage for when I'm doing any jobs in the cold, one in the shed for when I'm gardening in the cold and one in the car in case I ever break down in the cold. Then i wear one as a general knocking about winter jacket, plus for skiing, I've got my latest proper ski jacket and one spare in case it rains on the first day... I think I might be buying too many ski jackets...

I'll try eBay..
snow report
NO! Please!!! Do NOT give ancient/nackered outdoor kit to charities or anyone that you care about. rolling eyes
Sorry, but IMHO , you'd be giving them stuff which is not-fit-for-purpose or, at worse, potentially dangerous

The kit the OP is talking about is already beyond rather old.
It might look OK; and feel good in the shop or mild weather.
But it will give the unfortunate wearer hypothermia in even moderate rain, as the outer layer gets wetted-out.
If the kit is more than 5 years old. and has seen even moderate use, then its waterproof properties are certainly likely to be screwed.
And if its been in the sun at all, and is synthetic material, it's strength is likely to be much reduced.

If you wouldn't give it to your friends (except ironically ) , why would you want to give it to the "needy"?

On the other hand, PLEASE DO give new-ish clothes to charities and/or the needy.
For outdoor use, age does matter..... Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Tomahawk Tone, that's a bit OTT. I've got several bits of outdoor kit more than 5 years old that I use regularly. In the French area where I ski a good 30% of slope users are wearing outfits from the '80s and the slopes are not littered with corpses.

Given them to a charity shop; if they consider they're past it, they can put them in the rag bag and still get good money for them.
snow conditions
midgetbiker wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:
Megamum wrote:

you wouldn't believe the amount of warm clothing we find left after a party Shocked

we once had all of the warm coats stolen from the coat rack in our hall.
latest report
eBay or a charity shop sound good to me. Very Happy
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
In the French area where I ski a good 30% of slope users are wearing outfits from the '80s and the slopes are not littered with corpses.

Laughing Laughing Agreed!

I wear plenty of old kit for walking (in all weathers) etc etc. My first Goretex jacket is still going strong and it's probably 18 yrs old, worn most days in winter. Other non goretex jacket going strong too, looking shabby but still waterproof.

Kids stuff goes on ebay. Any intact old adult clothing goes to charity shop and is gratefully received.

Sorry but its BS to say that anything over 5 years old is likely to have screwed up waterproofing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oops! Perhaps that sounded a bit too harsh Sad
Yes, no problems at all with handing on serviceable kit.
Wrong of me to imply that all kit is nackered after 5 years. Depends on usage and exposure to sunlight , for example.

But if its waterproofing has gone, then its not nice to give it to charity or sell it (because I assume most buyers don't / wouldn't bother to test the waterproofing ).

Lots of us ski/bike/walk in older kit, and assume its OK because we're mostly out and about in relatively benign conditions.
But occassionally had stuff reveal itself to be shagged out in a proper rainstorm. If nikwax/grangers can not restore its waterproofing, then sadly its time to bin it.

I'll get back in my box now Happy
latest report
Tomahawk Tone wrote:
Oops! Perhaps that sounded a bit too harsh Sad

Maybe a tad... wink

I would also add that I would think it's fair to say that many customers in a charity shop picking up an old jacket might realise that it might not still be in premium condition and therefore not choose it for an attempt on the north face Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy