Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many pairs of boots do/should you have?

Poster: A snowHead
All these threads on boots. I've got the rather garish Salomon Pro model, but don't have custom footbeds, much less liners. I obviously should make the effort. Perhaps it's what will allow me to make my 'breakthrough on skis'. However, the other questions all this busy involvement raised with me then were

Many of us have more than one pair of skis, but how many have more than one pair of boots?
Lots of people obviously have lots of problems with boot fit. So should you have more than one pair of boots? Is it such a literal pain, that you shouldn't bother?
Do boots change the way you ski? Is having more than one pair detrimental to your skiing or should you just be able to adapt?
Or do you need different pairs for slalom, powder, freestyle, general hooning around?
How do you cope with binding fit if different sole lengths?
Is dry slope skiing bad for your regular boots?
If you find a good'un, should you buy another so that you have a spare should you lose/break/wear-out the first, like I do with trousers?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slikedges, currently two pair of boots, but only because I bought a new pair last season and haven't decided what to do with the old pair. Switching from one pair to another would be tedious because of differences in the sole length, so I've not compared the two to see if there are any noticeable differences to my skiing (I would guess not, just a lower pain level in my new pair). Perhaps it would only be worthwhile having two pairs of alpine boots if one pair were very stiff racing boots and the other pair were soft and comfortable recreational boots?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges, I have one pair of Alpine boots, and one for Tele. I think 1 pair is enough for most of us.

Plastic slopes don't harm your boots, although the paths around them do.

If you haven't yet got a custom made insole, do it now - the difference is huge !

Hope that helps ....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have one pair of downhill boots which I hardly ever use, a pair of AT boots which I mainly use, a pair of telemark touring boots, and my nordic boots which are seeing a lot of summer use on the rollerskis.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have two pairs, probably increasing to 3 this season. One pair lives in Champoluc to make hand luggaeg only weekends easier. One pair lives in London and gets carted around. I think I need to leave a pair in Chamonix (which may be AT ones) and if I win this weeks eurolottery I'll get a pair for Morzine.

They don't really change how I ski. Different sole lengths doesn't matter as they're usually on different skis. Dry slope skiing doesn't make a difference IMHO. Can't believe anyone not WC circuit would be so precious as to have different pairs for different disciplines. You should just be able to adapt.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Unless you are switching disciplines or going touring and then racing, for example, then you really only want to carry one pair of boots. You may keep a spare pair in a place that you frequent a lot but otherwise why carry more than you have to . Most of the threads are about one boot anyway, just like they are about one ski. the trick is, which ones?

I have a general pair of alpine boots which gets me everywhere, I can get crampons on them and I can walk a reasonable distance. I may look at a touring boot as my next pair - which is why that thread is useful - but I favour staying alpine for the moment
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have two pairs of boots, one for Alpine one for Touring. I may end up using the touring boots all the time for everything.

If after experiencing lots of boots you happen to find a pair that fits your foot shape very well it's always worth keeping a check on places like ebay and end of season sales. Picking up a cheap second pair is useful if something happens to your main pair. I'd say it's worth buying a second liner as your boots pack out so you can break it in gently (look at the boot volume thread for liner names etc). Many people consider the aftermarket liners to be better than those that come with the boot.

For people like me with 'non standard' feet boots make a massive difference. It's a bit like having to have suits cut for you, people who can pick something up off the peg don't understand what all the fuss is about. If you are not touring, telemarking etc or seriousley racing then one pair of well fitting Alpine boots is all you will need.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now here's everyone being sensible.

No-one however has considered aesthetics. Should you have boots to match your outfits? Or is that a redundant issue now everyone wears black trousers? Should we all have black boots too?

This is very important. I miss my old Tecnica TNTs which were fluo orangey pink - matching my jacket - but had fluo green plastic edges to the buckles - which matched my trousers! Perfect! And nice and stiff too!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My current TNT Icons look like Tony the Tiger.

I'll never forget being in my friends shop and hearing another friend ask 'are these blue boots any good?, they match my coat'
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
flicksta, so are mine. it amused my godson for all of about 30 seconds then he grew out of it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Let's see, three pairs I think, an old pair I use on the dry slope in the UK and 2 pairs out in the Alps, one pair significantly stiffer than the other
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought some new ski trousers about a month ago. Conversation went.......

'I also need some new ski trousers'

'What colour is your jacket?'

'I don't really know, I'm a bloke. I want GoreTex XCR'

'These ones are blue.'

'Are they GoreTex XCR?'

'Yes'

'Then they'll do.'
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have to remember that just asking for the colour of the boot when you go in to a shop isn't really trying.

What you should do, is spend at least 2 hours, trying on every different boot in you size in the shop.

Settle on a pair.

Then ask for them in a different colour. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski, I did ask if my new skis were available in a different colour. The ski shop guy offered to respray my boots Laughing .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flicksta, did you not even try them on?
snow report
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I've been lucky and've never had too much trouble with getting boots to fit, but I really like my current boots and did think about getting another pair in the sales. One reason I didn't was just in case there was a leap in boot technology. As if.

I do have an old pair that lives in Madrid. There's an old pair of skis of mine to go with them, and I don't find going back onto them a problem but am not skiing there much at the moment anyway. I have a third pair in my garage which I thought about using for artificial, but when I last used them, I did feel I'd forgotten how best to use them and hence the question about whether swapping boots a lot has any effect on your skiing. I think apart from the necessity that comes with a regular remote location, I'll just stick to one pair!

Oh, and I'm definitely going to get footbeds!
snow report
I have two pairs - one Touring and one Downhill. I expect to use the touring boots for pretty much everything on snow, unless I expect to be racing/training or pretty much exclusively on-piste. The sole lengths are quite different, but fortunately Freeride bindings are very easy to adjust in length and height. The Denali TTs are bright red which does clash rather unfortunately with the orange of the Legends (would have matched the Rossi XXs better)....but still match better that the previous year's blue. Maybe I just need to make sure I'm never in less than ankle deep snow snowHead .
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
flicksta, did you not even try them on?

briefly. North Face GoreTexXCR are going to be OK. And they are.
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
No-one however has considered aesthetics. Should you have boots to match your outfits? Or is that a redundant issue now everyone wears black trousers? Should we all have black boots too?

This is very important. I miss my old Tecnica TNTs which were fluo orangey pink - matching my jacket - but had fluo green plastic edges to the buckles - which matched my trousers! Perfect! And nice and stiff too!

I think there is a market here for the accessories suppliers. Mobile phones can be equipped with different covers.

Why not sell add ons, so you can change the appearance of your ski boots.

With Christmas approaching it is an ideal opportunity to market such an item in those free catalogues you get in the Sunday papers.

You know the ones - 'The Bumper Book of Sh*te' glossies - Kleeneezee catalogues for the whole family.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy