Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need some advice on where to go

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I fly into Geneva from the US in exactly a week and I have no lodging reserved or area selected yet. My work just booked the ticket today to let me spend 3 days before business to snowboard.

I've spent the last 5 hours researching but I'm in over my head.

Can anyone please advise me on the following:
- Best mountain or area to ski for three days from April 12th-14 with the most expected powder during that time? I'm reading Tignes might be my best option
- Best off-piste skiing and cross country experience?
- Any difficulty getting around with only knowing English?
- Is it difficult to ski by yourself in the alps?
- Is it possible to find decent lodging very close to a lift for around 100 euros a night?
- Any helpful advice to make my experience the best possible?

If anyone could please be kind enough to link me to anything useful for this trip, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
KB
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
swiftbmx, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

There may well be some helpful advice coming from others, but to get the ball rolling

Tignes would be a good bet - its high and more snow sure for what is a fairly late in the season break. Unless there is some new snow fall by then (not checked forecast), I would imagine off-piste powder is going to present a challenge to find without local knowledge/guide

English - shouldn't be a problem

Ski by yourself? No problem on-piste, without knowing an area, off piste would be better with a guide, obviously.

Lodging - although nearing the end of the season, Tignes has this time down as a peak week - probably due to the late Easter and school holidays. Try http://www.alpaka.com/tariffs.html Quite a few places may restrict to 1 week only bookings, but I've used this place for less. It's slightly over your budget but does include breakfast and dinner. About 150-200m from one of the main lifts

As I say, I'm sure there will be more advice shortly.

Good luck.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
- Best mountain or area to ski for three days from April 12th-14 with the most expected powder during that time? Tignes or Val Thorens may be the usual bets accessible from GVA but longer travel time. Verbier is doable by train and Chamonix/Argentiere served direct from airport by frequent shuttles e.g. Chamexpress, Mountain Dropoffs

- Best off-piste skiing and cross country experience? It's the Alps in spring, rain and spring snow are all possible
- Any difficulty getting around with only knowing English? No
- Is it difficult to ski by yourself in the alps? No - but off-piste poses all sorts of hazards not found generally inbounds in US - Crevasses, non avy controlled slopes
- Is it possible to find decent lodging very close to a lift for around 100 euros a night? Yes easy - e.g. check out Le Dahu or La Corunne in Argentiere
- Any helpful advice to make my experience the best possible? Have an open mind about spring conditions - be prepared to joing guided groups to make the best of it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys, all very helpful tips. I'll keep swinging back here to any updates. I'm bringing my GoPro camera so I'll def want to share some video with you guys once I get back.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Verbier.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For accommodation simply go to the Tourist Office in your chosen resort - in person or online. They will find you something - one person willing to pay €100 a night ...easy!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My choice would be Engelberg with a day in Andermatt. This seems to be one of the snowier spots of alps and there is good off-piste that is very easy to scope from the lifts. It is nearly a 4 hour train ride there though so I would only contemplate it if skiing time isn't going to be at stake, i.e if you're landing in the afternoon/early evening.

Trains

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?seqnr=2&ident=f2.030926189.1333571768&REQ0HafasScrollDir=1&WT.i_event_cat=fp_resultat&WT.i_event_act=spaetere_vrb

Kaj Kaccrisson showing the area and the transport off

http://www.salomonfreeski.com/uk/freeski-tv/season-05-episode-10.html

Having only English is not a problem in Switzerland, or anywhere in the alps. There was nothing wrong with the Youth Hostel in Engelberg, much less than 100 euros a night and huge meals in the evening approx 10-15 minute walk to lift, more upmarket places much closer.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks again for the tips. It seems like Tignes may be a bit pricey so I'll end up doing Chamonix. I get in at 7:30am and anticipate I'll get to the resort by 9:30 so anything longer would dip into my ski day.

I've narrowed it down to La Courrune in Argentiere(fatbob's advice) or Hotel Richemond in Chamonix - Mont Blanc.

Prices are almost identical but if I were looking for a very enjoyable night life after skiing what would you guys choose? Please sway me!!

Reviews here:
La Courrune
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1234266-d2042039-Reviews-Hotel_de_La_Couronne-Argentiere_Haute_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes.html

Hotel Richemond
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187261-d264863-Reviews-Hotel_Richemond-Chamonix_Haute_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For nightlife, surely it has to be Hotel Richemond as it's in Chamonix Town, rather than Argentiere which is a drive along the valley. It means you will have to get a bus to the slopes but the hotel is on one of the busy streets in Chamonix and likely to be full of life.

You should try to get up the Aiguille de Midi cable car to get a good view of Mont Blanc - it really is superb on a clear day but might eat into skiing time. This year was my third time in Cham but first to go up the cable car and it was amazing.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Argentiere has a couple of bars but it's hardly rowdy. Chamonix better for nightlife.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
swiftbmx If it's Chamonix, you must consider doing the Vallee Blanche, which is an off piste route from the top of the Aiguille du Midi. It's an amazing day out. NB. A mountain guide is imperative - all of the Chamonix outfits do group tours at reasonable prices.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone, I just booked Hotel Richemond so Chamonix it is. Which lift pass should I be getting to get access to everything and all the way to the top?

mountainaddict, I'll definitely be adding that to my list... video coming in a few weeks!!

For off-piste tours, are there any issues with slow skiers? I consider myself a pretty advance snowboarder and I love to fly so I don't want to get held up....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict wrote:
swiftbmx If it's Chamonix, you must consider doing the Vallee Blanche, which is an off piste route from the top of the Aiguille du Midi. It's an amazing day out. NB. A mountain guide is imperative - all of the Chamonix outfits do group tours at reasonable prices.

Hey mountain addict, I bought my lift tickets and reserved a ride of the cable car to Aiguille du Midi. My reservation is at 8:20 am. What time should I leave the hotel to make the reservation?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swiftbmx,
Quote:

I bought my lift tickets and reserved a ride of the cable car to Aiguille du Midi. My reservation is at 8:20 am. What time should I leave the hotel to make the reservation?

swiftbmx Just spotted your last post. I'm not sure where your hotel is but would mention that the Aiguille du Midi Cable Car is right on the outskirts of town - so you'll need to allow plenty of time to get there.

Have you booked a mountain guide for the Vallee Blanche? There's lots of information on Snowheads on the dangers of the run down (do a search). Not wanting to alarm you but unaccompanied skiers/boarders are killed every year by going it alone - some never seen again after (presumably falling down crevasses) - eg see this Snowheads forum posting/video:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=88165

Take care - and enjoy your trip.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy