Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains needed for driving to Val Thorens April?

Poster: A snowHead
OK, we have booked a cheeky last minute 5 day trip to Val Thorens on Sunday 8th. We're flying to Grenoble and renting a car to drive to VT.

Do we really, really, absolutely need snow chains? I mean what are the chances of needing them in April?

I've always got them before for February/March trips (but never used them). Seems like a waste of 35 EURO to rent something I probably won't use!

Having said that I've never been up the mountains in April - maybe my expectation of glorious sunshine Cool is wrong Puzzled

All advice would be welcome from those with more experience than me!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll be carrying mine on Friday, but don't expect to need them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No. We have been going skiing at Easter (at Les Arcs) for years and have never, ever, needed the chains in March/April. The roads were clear last week up to 2000m+and there had not been any more significant snow at low levels.
I'll eat my (bobble) hat if you need them at this time of year.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can usually buy them for about €30 in the Supermarket, so maybe if it does snow just buy them at the bottom of the mountain and keep them rather than renting.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Geant at Albertville had all sizes last week for 28 euros.Very much doubt you will need them however
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
None in supermarkets in Moutiers now so get them in Albertville but it is extreemly unlikely you will need them. Its very warm out here.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Need them in Malvern today...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Simonskis, Why not check the snowforecast for VT and then take an informed gamble Little Angel Mine shows clear from Sat 7th through to the following Wed night.
It doesn't bother me as I'll be in Chamonix so you won't get in my way wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
local forecast here http://france.meteofrance.com/france/montagne?MONTAGNE_PORTLET.path=montagneprevisionville/732573
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

No. We have been going skiing at Easter (at Les Arcs) for years and have never, ever, needed the chains in March/April. The roads were clear last week up to 2000m+and there had not been any more significant snow at low levels.
I'll eat my (bobble) hat if you need them at this time of year.

I think I'll scratch Les Arcs off of my list of resorts to ski at Easter then. I've had to dig my car out a couple times in Flaine at / after Easter and one time had to buy chains as I stupidly left mine at home - doh! wink

Having said that, this year I would take the gamble and save the 35 euros...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Red Dave, Lots of snow on the mountain (even last (late) Easter there was enough) - but none in resort or on the roads. As of last Thursday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Red Dave wrote:
I think I'll scratch Les Arcs off of my list of resorts to ski at Easter then. I've had to dig my car out a couple times in Flaine at / after Easter and one time had to buy chains as I stupidly left mine at home - doh! wink

Yeah but Les Arcs ranges from 1200m to 2200m, depends where you are staying in Les Arcs as to the risk.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
See here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=87335&start=440#2027840
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow, april 17th 2012 at 1450 meters above Grenoble on the Chamrousse road

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=83197&start=120
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Isn't it a legal requirement to have them in France anyway or is that just over the main winter months?
snow report
Cheers everyone, I decided to go without chains. Gamble only just paid off though! Arrived on Monday 9th April to sunny weather. Tuesday night/Wed am a huge dump of snow, then barely stopped snowing all week. Saturday morning at drive home time it was very touch and go if chains needed - some people put them on, some not. As I didn't have any I went for it! Fortunately although the roads were a bit snowy and slushy in resort they were pretty clear otherwise - about 500 yards down the road those with chains on we're removing them.

Not sure if I'd gamble again, maybe I just got lucky, can't believe the amount of snowfall in April!
snow report
Have you never heard of April showers?
snow report
Simonskis, I am amazed but it's a salutory lesson...This bobble hat is hard going and there's woolly bits in my teeth... Embarassed
latest report
I saw a snowplough on the A27 between Portsmouth and Chichester this morning. Maybe I won't take my snow tyres off just yet.....
snow conditions
pam w, Here in East Anglia it's raining cats and dogs and has been for 3 days. Drought, hah!
latest report
Here in the North Pennines its been snowing again, but not quite enough to get the tow going again....yet.

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/

Summer went quickly didn't it Cool
snow report
See Steve Angus's photo on page 26 of the Val d'I thread!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy