Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Austria 2012 (pic heavy)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Headed off to Salzburg last week for my annual visit to my mate Steve. We arrived on Wednesday afternoon and spent the rest of daylight hours arranging to have one car at the end of the Dachstein glacier crossing and one available to get us to the beginning - bit of a chore but worth it.

Every year, I seem to amass more and more gear!

Untitled by cjcspier, on Flickr

30 minute drive and we were at the lift up the glacier

Steve put on a brave face despite his natural vertigo!

Quite a view from the top of the lift

My colleague John enjoying some re-frozen crud at the top of the crossing

IMG_0045 - Version 2 by cjcspier, on Flickr

John taking a break about 5km into the crossing

Steve resorts to carrying his skis on one of quite a few short climbs too small to warrant putting the skins back on

Without a guide the tour is a more a picturesque yomp than an amazing descent but beer was earn all the same

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Friday morning brought rain in the valley, but 10 minutes on a chair and 30/03/12 delivered fresh snow

Steve showing us that snowboarding isn't only for the yoof

I got a few decent turns in too

IMG_0135 - Version 2 by cjcspier, on Flickr

IMG_0140 - Version 2 by cjcspier, on Flickr

IMG_0181 - Version 2 by cjcspier, on Flickr

On Saturday bright blue skies and not much wind boded well for a hike up to Kleinarler Hutte. Lots of gear to take when two of you are skinning and one of you has decided to strap on snow shoes and carry the heaviest snowboard I've ever lifted

Here's the man himself. Not sure he's enjoying it much ...

John taking some comfort from the shade afforded by a bit of woodland

Last bit of skin track before the hut

Enjoying a well-earnt weissbier

This is where John and I are heading, the lump of rock on the left hand side of the ridge

John taking a rest on the summit

And yours truly

No pics from the descent (some vid might follow, apparently) but I wasn't stopping to take photos in lovely fresh Spring, chalky powder.

Sadly, before we could go up for a second go, the weather started to close in, the wind really picking up

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We had a lunchtime flight on Sunday, but here's proof that on 1st April, there is still fresh snowfall, even at 800m

and proof that you can still get fresh tracks (albeit on piste and in all of 5cm of fresh!

Bring on 12/13!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks good!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
very nice!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, cheers. Wailers really came into their own this trip. Going uphill worked well and I certainly noticed the difference in weight from previous set-ups. As for the down, big smiles all round!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zammo, with the Wailers, sometimes it feels like cheating Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Late and poor quality, but video evidence of the pitch down to Kleinarl Hutte. It's pretty mellow, although the top is steeper that it looks as you can tell by my mate's rather tentative approach by which he manages to ski across the skin track. Twice!

Still, for video shot on a standard camera, I guess it's not too bad.

Kleinarl from Lord_Uno
https://vimeo.com/42420298
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy