Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria - ski resort reviews 2012 (NEW: Kitzbühel-Kirchberg-SkiWelt + Lech-Zürs, more to come soon)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

some of you might have read my daily snow reports from Austria in February-March - I had the fortune of spending three weeks there, and I'm publishing the reports on my blog (just added Kitz). Here are the highlights and links.

KITZBÜHEL-KIRCHBERG-SKIWELT
I really liked the area and can't wait to be back. I could only explore about 60% of these combined resorts in a week, and so many pistes were worth repeating. The altitude is a bit low, so you want to check snow conditions carefully before booking, but don't miss it! There are several areas among the trees, with nice slopes and uplifting sceneries. The AllStarCard gives access to 10 different resorts, so the only problem is deciding where to begin. After reading fellow Snowheads' advice I chose Kirchberg, but the connection to the SkiWelt by the Ki-West gondola is a bit inconvenient; I'm under the impression Brixen im Thale might be a smarter choice.

Kitzbühel is as fantastic as most people say, and the slopes on top of Kirchberg are equally entertaining. The middle area until the 3S gondola is worth exploring inch by inch, and after the boring gondola trip you'll find wonderful pistes up to the Zweitausender; after that it all gets a bit samey, but that's the area where I found the best snow and perfect temperatures. I was really surprised by the SkiWelt; rather than most gentrified areas like Söll, I loved most slopes around Brixen and Westendorf. Coming from Kirchberg, it can be quite hard to reach the other end of the SkiWelt; I only got to Ellmau, and already starting from the Zinberg I found several beautiful pistes and much fewer people (I visited during Dutch winter holidays, and I found long queues in the middle area around Söll).

Several restaurants were good, but none of them stood out: I was surprised by the quality of food in the huge Keatalm in Söll, while the Seidlalm in Kitzbühel is a more intimate option. SkiBuses are effective and frequent, although I was confused by the different lines; supermarkets are cheap for self-catering travellers, and the infrastructure doesn't disappoint. I will definitely be back next year.

Read my post on Kitzbühel-Kirchberg-SkiWelt:
http://tipsology.net/2012/04/13/travel-ski-austria-kitzbuehel-kirchberg-skiwelt/

A few highlights from the photo gallery:

LECH-ZÜRS
What a surprise! I was afraid I might find myself in some sort of upscale geriatric ward, and ended up discovering my favourite ski resort so far. There is just something special in this place, something that goes beyond the hype and mostly has to do with a seamless skiing experience. I was captivated by the perfect balance of slopes, infrastructure, landscapes, people... The resort is as exclusive as you might have heard, but there's room for (a few!) clever people who know how to find cheap lodging just about anywhere Wink I can advise Haus Gumor in Lech, which I found thanks to the unusually generous help of tourist office rep Cornelia Sick.

Lech and Zürs are well connected, equally convenient and so beautiful. The well-designed slopes are great for intermediate skiers, lifts are mostly super-modern and queueless, state-of-the-art services are the norm; I especially liked pistes 35a, 45, 46; the area which goes down to Zürs from the top of the Rüfikopf, most pistes around the Seekopf, Zürsersee and Muggengrat chairlifts, piste 7 and the beautiful ski-route 33.

The expensive and unimpressive food was the only weak spot for me, but supermarkets are as cheap as anywhere else in Austria if you're willing to self-cater. Last but not least, I have seen some of the most breathtaking landscapes in my life in this place. I wouldn't say it's for everyone - it's perfect for couples, small groups or even solo skiers, less so for large groups perhaps - but if you have a real passion for skiing, you might easily fall in love like I did.

Read my post on Lech-Zürs:
http://tipsology.net/2012/04/01/travel-ski-austria-lech-zuers/

A few highlights from the photo gallery:

SKIING IN AUSTRIA: MAGICAL
What can I say... between last season and this one, I've simply fallen in love with the country. Since some people got mad for my previous, partly critical reviews of the French Alps, let me clarify I've only visited the largest French resorts so far; any flaws I have found there have not stopped me from going back repeatedly; and I will certainly go there again to enjoy those great slopes and explore the less commercial resorts.

Having said this, my experiences in Austria (where I've also visited some of the most popular resorts) have been more pleasant in many respects Smile In a few words, I find Austria GENERALLY cheaper and friendlier than the largest French resorts; a bit less convenient skiwise (for the distance between flats/hotels and the slopes in some resorts), but very well organized with ski-buses and quite modern lifts; quite charming in terms of the atmosphere and landscapes.

Here's my general post about skiing in Austria:
http://tipsology.net/2012/03/22/travel-ski-austria/

I am also going to review Saalbach in the coming days.
Ciao!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 13-04-12 17:31; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

if you have a real passion for (mostly on-piste) skiing, you might easily fall in love like I did

Lech-Zurs has stunning off piste as well. Zurs especially.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't have enough off-piste skills to enjoy that, but let me edit that, thanks!!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've updated with info and link about Kitz...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nobrainbcn, Thanks for reports and pictures - great. My favourite country to ski!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy