Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valloire Trip Report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We were there from 10th March to 17th March 2012.

We flew to Grenoble with Easyjet (£75 inc luggage), then hired a car (£200 for a Focus estate) and drove up to Valloire which took about 2 hours. Lift pass was just under £150 for 6 days. Accommodation worked out at about £175 each (4 of us).

We self-catered at the 'Chalets du Galibier' which is just past Valloire center in Moulin Benjamin. The accommodation was ok, nothing special but was fine for us.

The snow conditions weren't great, no snow for 3 weeks and temperatures of 15c made for worsening conditions on a daily basis. That said, the piste people worked wonders moving snow about and we even managed to find some un-tracked areas of off-piste Very Happy

The area itself was fantastic, lots of skiing to be done with minimal lift time. There's also a lot of investment planned in the near future, which it needs as a lot of the lifts are slow/dated and could do with modernising etc! I did go on a new-ish 6-man chair in Valmeinier, had huge leather backrests and the bar came down and went up automatically, nice.

This was usually our first run of the day, a green into Les Verneys:

Fairly well-tracked off piste:

Some deeper powder:

This was the 'Olympique' run, think it might have been used in the Grenoble winter olympics, was steeper than it looks but not as steep as the Albertville downhill or the Birds of Prey at Beaver Creek!

I wish I made these tracks, but would have involved too much hiking for me!

Now these were so much fun, skier/boarder cross tracks, there was one on the Valloire side and one over at Valmeinier. The pic doesn't really do it justice, was just like a roller-coaster:

This is NOT the current piste map, but a vision of the future by someone with more info and time than me:
http://www.ski-valloire.net/projets/valfutur2011.jpg

Gives an idea of a few small-ish changes to make it even bigger/better!

This is a great site, just need to translate with google etc:
http://www.ski-valloire.net/
You can click on all the lifts and/or pistes to get more info and pics of them in the 'pistes et remontees' menu (under 'domaine skiable')

The piste map:
http://flv.valloire.net/valloire/plans_interactifs/hiver/plan_pistes_valloire.pdf
If you look at the center-ish there is a chair called 'Moneul', and we were able to ski all the way back to our accommodation from the top of this lift, down the Selles then onto the Myosotis all the way down to Moulin Benjamin - a great run down the valley to end the day!

All in all was a fantastic resort, lots of charm and little influence of the big tour operators etc. Would definitely recommend and would return there again myself!

I could go into more detail but don't want to bore you, so if you have any questions just ask,

snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy