Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which XC Rollerskis to Buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm seriously considering buying an XC rollerski setup. I have a great park with a smooth tarmac perimeter road nearby. It is mainly flat with a bit of uphill and downhill in it.

I'm thinking that I'd like to be able to skate and do classic. I've seen this package "Marwe 590A Skating + Ratchet combi package - £315" here:- http://www.rollerski.co.uk/buypackages.html

I've looked into getting instruction but the nearest club in manchester doesn't appear to have anything available until the autumn. I do a lot of alpine skiing (I'm ISIA qualified), so hopefully learning won't be too difficult. But advice on this would be good.

Any advice on equipment and anything else to do with roller skiing, gratefully received.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skir67, Why don't you have a chat with Iain of Rollerski.co.uk and see if you can have a couple of lessons with him to get you started and to try out some different rollers? Details of where he gives lessons are on his website. (He's a friend of a friend and is a nice chap. We all thought he was probably bonkers starting a business roller ski-ing in the middle of London, but he's been doing well for several years now, so that's us proved wrong.)

Marwe Rollers are a well-recognised make. I don't have any recent info, but about 5 years ago, the Marwe 610 was the skating roller of choice for elite XC skiers for skate training. They are reliable, durable, and the composite shaft damps road vibration well. However, they are a bit of a challenge for beginners and for anyone whose balance was a bit off. The description of the 590 sounds as if they might be more suitable for beginners, although you may be fine with the 610s if you are already a good skier. However, if I were buying, I think I would get the 590C composite shaft not the 590A. If you are chunky, be aware that there are recommended maximum weights for most rollerskis, and I think it's lower for the composite shafts (about 85kg AFAIR) than for the aluminium. Iain will no doubt be able to advise.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Iains name had come up through a contact I made in the manchester club already, so I think I will give him a ring. Unfortunately I think their lessons are all london and SE so not really of use to me as I'm on Merseyside, but I'm sure they will be able to offer good info on equipment.

That's interesting info on weight, I'm about 85-90kg so I'll need to check that out when buying.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
well I've pulled the trigger and bought a package from iain. I've got some Marwe 590A Skating + Ratchet combi rollerskis so I can do classic or skating technique. With some salomon active pilot combi boots and kv+ viking poles.

Can't wait for the kit to turn up so I can get going with it. snowHead

Think I need to invest in some elbow and kneepads and wristguards though. I'll use my alpine helmet for my bonce.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whatever ones you buy may I suggest Leg warmers, Fluoro Leotard and a perm, if you don't look the part, you won't fell the part!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Marve are very known and respected products but they are expensive. I and my friends we have tested many models of composite classic and skate rollerskis such brands as swenor, elpex, marve and skiathlon rollerski (from rollerskiathlon). Personally I dont feel any differences between these models of rollerskis except the price. All of these brands are making very high quality rollerskis.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Think I need to invest in some elbow and kneepads and wristguards though. I'll use my alpine helmet for my bonce.

Definitely all the pads. An alpine helmet will make you very hot. How about a cycling helmet?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Andrew81, spamming a 4 year old thread with 1st post?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Andrew81,
Is there a difference between classic and skate roller skis ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rollerskiing is a summer version of cross country skiing. There are two techniques: classic and skate. Classic skiing is what most people imagine when they think of cross-country skiing. There are 3 classic ski techniques: Diagonal Stride, Double Pole, and Kick Double Pole. There are 5 skate ski techniques. Low have more power and are better for climbing hills. Higher are better for faster terrain and conditions. Classic rollerskis models have wheels 75mm/44mm (height/width) and one (usually rear) wheel rotates in one direction. Skate rollerskis models have wheels 100mm/24mm (height/width). The classic rollerskis wheelbase (700mm-750mm) are longer then skate (530mm-630mm). Watch a training videos on youtube. You can also visit the webpage swenor.com or rollerskiathlon.com (there are high quality images) to view the classic and skate models.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
musher wrote:
@Andrew81,
Is there a difference between classic and skate roller skis ?
'

You can skate on classic rollerskis (just as you "can" skate on classic skis) but you can't do classic on skate rollerskis (no ratchet to prevent backwards movement). The classic wheels are fairly square which doesn't lend itself to skating.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

The classic wheels are fairly square

Doesn't that make for an uncomfortable ride ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy