Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Equipment advice needed for new boarders

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

So far I have had some great advice about where me and my friend can get board lessons. We will be hitting the Hemel Hemstead Snowdome. I need to know exactly what equipment we need to buy and how much it will cost.

I have been told we will need:

1. Crash pants
2. wrist supports
3. Knee pads

is this correct and if so what are the best ones to buy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
really depends how sensitive to pain you are, I crash hard a lot as a skier and have never used pads/anything apart from a helmet(definately recommend this if you're going to be properly snowboarding(freestyle))
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well i am okay it will be in a fridge over the summer ... just remember I will have work on Monday
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helmet and impact shorts are a must IMHO, cost depends entirely on which ones you get.

I've also got knee pads, not entirely necessary but do make some impacts a little less painful, I've had a dodgy knee since a footballing incident so do find the knee pads help. I've also got wrist guards but have not worn them in a long time, the trick is to learn how to fall properly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sitter, this without a doubt, knowing how to fall is better than any equipment you will ever own.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My 12YO boarder demanded impact shorts after her first lesson on a board a couple of years ago, has mitts with built in wrist guards which she loves (she couldn't get on with separate wrist guards). She did get knee and elbow pads early on but hasn't used them much and says she doesn't need any new ones now these are too small.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mag1882, except a helmet, I'll ride with mine regardless as to how hot the weather is, I've caught a heel edge far too many times!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mag1882, yes but as a beginner there is an awful lot of low-speed falling on to knees and bum where a little bit of padding helps make learning a less excruciating experience. So although not an essential they do make the learning process more enjoyable. Although I'm hard. I learned on a dry slope without any protection. By god that was character building. Very Happy

KSNOWZ, no recommendation of where to buy I'm afraid - maybe try and get to a big shop at a snowdome like TSA and try on the impact shorts etc there to see which ones you like.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go to everyones favourite internet tat bazaar. Each of the items on your list should cost no more than about £15-£20.
You can pay more for brand names and such, but chances are you'll get fed-up with having to put all this kit on soon enough and graduate to riding 'au natur'.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mag1882, you fall differently in skis. As a consequence you don't really need crash pants and knee pads, but you might need your ACL reconstructed or your tibia screwed back together.

KSNOWZ, a lot of people (myself included) learned without the armour, but it really , really , really hurts. Most of my friends who have recently learned have all ended up hurting themselves and then going to buy the armour in resort. I really think you should take your friends advice and get the armour, it will improve your holiday. On the subject of what to buy; it is a question of personal preference. For knee pads i like the ones with a hard shell encased in soft foam. The soft ones don't absorb enough of an impact for my liking. For impact shorts, I personally would avoid the ones with a hard shelled coccyx protector in case it shifts a bit during a fall and either wrecks your spine or goes up your bum. You should also look for ones with firm foam on the cheeks because that invariably is where a lot of the impact is going to be taken.

For wrist guards i think the ones with bracing on the top and bottom sides are better but i have no data to back this up.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
monkey wrote:
mag1882, you fall differently in skis. As a consequence you don't really need crash pants and knee pads, but you might need your ACL reconstructed or your tibia screwed back together.

KSNOWZ, a lot of people (myself included) learned without the armour, but it really , really , really hurts. Most of my friends who have recently learned have all ended up hurting themselves and then going to buy the armour in resort. I really think you should take your friends advice and get the armour, it will improve your holiday. On the subject of what to buy; it is a question of personal preference. For knee pads i like the ones with a hard shell encased in soft foam. The soft ones don't absorb enough of an impact for my liking. For impact shorts, I personally would avoid the ones with a hard shelled coccyx protector in case it shifts a bit during a fall and either wrecks your spine or goes up your bum. You should also look for ones with firm foam on the cheeks because that invariably is where a lot of the impact is going to be taken.

For wrist guards i think the ones with bracing on the top and bottom sides are better but i have no data to back this up.

the concept is the same though, reduce pain by continuing to roll, the same way when freerunners roll to reduce the power of the fall by increasing the duration.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy