Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for cheapish beginners' resort Feb half term 2013

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

My sister plus her family want to try this skiing lark next season. The problem is that both sister and brother in law are teachers, so the trip has to be during school holidays. Probably Feb half term. The group will be-

Me, skied for many years.
Daughter, who will then be 8. Skied 1 week when she was 6.
Sister, skied a couple of days in Scotland many years ago.
Brother in law. Never skied
Nephew 1, aged 12. Never skied
Nephew 2, aged 10. Never skied.

So. Recommendations? We would probably go self catered, sister plus family are not fans of spending lots of money. I vaguely thought Andorra might be worth a shot, although I've never skied there.

I'm thinking that it would be good for sister plus family to have a couple of sessions with instruction in a snow dome to at least get them moving on skis. This would also mean that the kids could all ski together. The trouble is they live in NE England so any trip to a Snowdome would be a major expedition.

Also. I'm toying with the idea of teaching the 3 kids myself. I've done the BASI 1 course (although not followed it up with and real teaching) so I wouldn't be the typical clueless dad. Also it would give me something to do for the week. Any thoughts on the advisablilty of this? My 'instructing' would be unpaid.

On second thoughts it might be better to put the kids in ski school and do the teaching with sister asnd brother in law. They are both reasonably fit and 'outdoorsy'.

All thoughts/ideas are welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As first time skiers its gotta be as fun and relaxing and enjoyable as possible. For me that would mean short transfer, snow sure, ski in/out if possible, good ski school and nice variety of blue/red slopes.

Andorra might not be best bet, just the long transfer (4hrs+) has always put me off. I took my family (first timers, I have skiied before) to La Plagne in January which worked out great with wife and kids doing half days with Oxygene Ski School! They were first class and by end of week one all three were doing reds and cruising nicely on blues. But you will also perhaps want to avoid French half term if going to France. Not sure if ours and theirs overlap next year?

I've just come back from Soll on a lads trip. There is a lovely skiing area at Scheffau on the SkiWelt ideal for beginners and plenty else for you as a good skiier. I wouldn't recommend Soll itself as a starting point though with complete newbies.

There was another thread recently on SH devoted to self teaching kids/partners etc.....general concensus is bad idea. Why not do half days ski school if money allows and then spend afternoons brushing up and helping what has been learned in the morning?

Best of luck
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd say Andorra would be fine. Yes the transfer can take some time, but I don't think it took any longer than our transfer from Grenoble to Les Arcs when we had to do that trip.

The good thing about Andorra is that a lot of the package trip operators do really good packages on lift passes, lessons and kit hire, in a lot of cases they offer free childrens lift passes, and some free child places for the whole holiday. Tuition is excellent there too. Check out the packages Crystal, Inghams and Neilson offer. We went a few years back with Neilson, had free tuition thrown in with lift passes and ski hire.

A couple of other options.... my OH is a teacher and we have a little boy so stuck with school holidays too. Christmas can be pretty cheap in comparison to Half Term (New Year is usually a similar price to half term), it can be weird not being at home for Christmas, but we love it. Easter is worth looking at, particularly if it's early, last year wasn't great as the Easter Holiday was a bit later and it wasn't a good season. This year hols start tomorrow (we go to Kitzbuhel tomorrow!), next year school holidays start at the end of March too - still good skiing to be had.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spud9 I live in Newcastle and we often travel to the snow dome in Castleford - it takes 1.5 hours (not really major) without stops we take my 5 year old and journey is OK for her also there there is a big outlet shopping complex and loads of other things to do so in the actual snowdome place so easy to make a day of it. I have never had lessons there but made by brother & sister in law enroll before they came with us and there lessons were well constructed and teaching was good. My 5 year old has had private and group lessons there and again instructors have been excellent - could reco some particular ones for kids.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the feedback people.

Looks like Castelford is the sensible option for Snowdome experience. I'll have a look at the operator packages, that could work out good value I guess ( I usually travel independently so don't normally look at brochures, but this holiday will be different of couse). Hadn't thought about going Christmas week. I will put the idea to my sister.

I will also check out some Austrian options.

Anyone any thoughts on specific resorts in either Andorra or Austria.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Spud9, Flangesax in Radstadt - British run chalet with your own instructor. Loads of us can guarantee that you and your family will have an amazing holiday. But get in fast for that week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, Thanks, will check it out.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Soldeu might suit best in Andorra. Reasonable range of ski area, lively enough without being 'party capital', plenty of accommodation, good ski school.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have friends who have used St Jean d'Aulps (Grande Terche) for the last two years. They drive out and self cater.

A few things in it's favour:

(Relatively) short drive from Calais or 75 min transfer from GVA

Accommodation is directly at the bottom of the main gondola so relatively easy to get the kids up to their lesson as the nursery area is adjacent to gondola arrival

Cheap lift pass and I've heard the ESF instructors are a bit more relaxed than in some more high profile resorts.

Once they are off the nursery slope there are a few nice blue/red runs including bits through the trees that kids love

If the circuit is open it gives you something to do whilst they are in lessons (you will comfortably do a lap in 90 mins) and if you get away for a day you can get into the PDS easily from Ardent or Prodains or up to Morzine/Les Gets

A Brummie called Richard runs the Licorne restaurant just across from the nursery slope. Very friendly and great food but book a table and be prepared for a bit of a wait. Alternatively you can download in the gondola and lunch in your apartment.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy