Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian pricing per person?!

Poster: A snowHead
What is it with the Austrian pricing system?
A room costs x per person, so if you stay by yourself it's cheaper than with 2.
I can understand that they have to sort breakfast but a room costing 50 for 1 person should not cost 100 for 2.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, that's not really my experience; I have only seen rooms priced as singles or doubles, not per person. Where are you looking?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Gordan

Had a quick look on Google and to me it just looks like a bit of marketing play.

It seems like it is mainly hotels that go down this root where as if you hired out a chalet they do it per week.

I completely agree with you it should be a price system per room that sleeps x people.

The main reason they probably do it is when they advertise the rooms pricing per person makes it look cheap, and it makes it easy for people to compare deals in a competitive market place.

But I still agree with you it should be cheaper for 2 people compared to 1 but I suppose they know most people will go in pairs so why should they discount
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
KSNOWZ, I just checked booking.com for Flachau and Salzburg. All rooms were offered as singles or doubles, not per person. If I want a double to myself then I have to pay for a double. If I want a single it will be a shoebox with one bed in it (as experienced on several occasions). I'd be delighted if there was a room for 2 at £100 and they would let me have it for £50!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yea complete marketing ploy .... you know how these biz are
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
KSNOWZ wrote:
Yea complete marketing ploy .... you know how these biz are

Thing was the resort booking site gave a total price for 2 adults. The hotel then came back and said a price per person.
Not really sure how that's a marketing ploy. If it's one person, it sounds like they'd give it it to you for half the price.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh okay

So what was the price per room which I suppose sleeps 2., and what was the price if you just went on your own?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can pick single or double room, but if they have double rooms only, and you are alone, it's exactly like OP wrote. Prices are per person. Even with single and double rooms, there's very little difference with price per person in single room or in double room. But it's not just Austria... it's everywhere same. Austria, Italy, Germany, Slovenia, Croatia...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yea I get it it is coz hotels work out their cost per room not per bed . So what ever way you look at it it is always per room
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Single Supps... horrible things to have to charge people but I'd go bust without them Sad

My house has 5 rooms, some are doubles, triples and a 5 bed room.

When a room is sold to a single person with no supplement I will be 'paying' for the second invisible person to stay in that room with you... why?... because in the peak times we know we can sell the room as a double and our annual income depends on this.

You will also find all tour operators advertise prices FROM £***per person. This is normally as if the accommodation is shared from 2 people upwards you will slowly achieve the marketed price.

Nothing too shocking about all this really as it is the way the global industry has marketed for years.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Indeedy

Maybe there is a market for single rooms but not sure how that will work suppose it would be like university dorms .... maybe I am onto something here Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
KSNOWZ
Hostels, surely there's a market for that already?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not sure to be honset
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax, I'm not complaining about this... it is like it is, and if someone doesn't like, then stay at home Wink But on the other side, I agree with OP. In USA, you mostly pay per room, and maybe some additional charge for breakfast for extra people. Room costs Xeur and it doesn't matter if there's one person there on 5. And on one side it's logical. But on this side of ocean, things are same pretty much everywhere (except some places in Scandinavia). You pay per person, not per room. So I normally don't bother with this question. Like I wrote, it is like it is, and if I don't like it, I don't go Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Where? Where? Where? A double room at half the price for one person? Can I book it now? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

KSNOWZ, of course there is a market for single rooms. Not all single people can afford to pay for an invisible person and many do not want to share.
snow conditions
We advertise most of our prices by the room... but this then contains a 'hidden' price for the missing 2nd person as this is what the costings are based on.
Almost all per person prices are always basd on 2 sharing...

As for single supps... this year we had quite a few fellow snowHead 's that requested single rooms... so next year we will certainly be including some singles weeks for you lot wink
Just penciling it in for early and mid/late season... so first weeks in Dec to Xmas and then pickign up again in mid March until Easter / Season close... we are going to try to include free shuttling to the pistes in the early seasons and probably be fully catered too... ... we'll see!
latest report
1. A lot of hotel web sites (Austrian and Italian) will actually state in the small print or conditions on their pricing pages that there is an extra supplement for a single person staying in a double room.

2. Also most of the hotel sites in Austria show their prices per person per night (half board or B&B) based on two persons sharing a double room for a minimum of x number of nights. The rates will be more if staying less than x nights. I have very rarely seen where a hotel shows the price per room per night. I suspect you have seen the total price for the room on a resort booking page or a site such as TISCOVER.AT. If they are showing the total price for one person being half of what it would be for two persons in a double room then they are not taking into account the hotels own supplement charges for this scenario.
latest report
Fair enough. Like you say it is as it is but most people sharing a double automatically know how to divide by 2 Wink
latest report
On the back of this thread I pulled my thingy out of my whatsit and have bothered to update my homepage!... ta for the incentive/reminder!
latest report
flangesax, bravo! Very Happy
snow conditions
GordonFreeman wrote:
What is it with the Austrian pricing system?
A room costs x per person, so if you stay by yourself it's cheaper than with 2.
I can understand that they have to sort breakfast but a room costing 50 for 1 person should not cost 100 for 2.

And it won't.

There will always be a single supplement for a single person staying in a double room, so if it is €50 per person with two staying, it would probably be €70 for one person.

Even most single room cost more than half the rate for a double in the same hotel.

And it is the same in almost all European countries, Austria is no different, except that they tend to have more rooms available with a low single supplement than most countries.

You will also find that in the winter, many hotels don't offer a B&B option, but only do half board.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy