Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off-piste ski coaching in Tignes?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a good course/ski-school for beginners' off-piste ski coaching in Tignes? Small group sessions would be ideal.

Looking into this for next year. I've done about 10 weeks worth of piste skiing to date, and a little bit of dabbling around the edges.

I also need to find somewhere reasonably priced to stay, as at the moment I'll be going solo. Anyone got recent experience of the Youth Hostel? I stayed there a few years ago and it was pretty good, though the rooms were basic.

Thanks Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Snoworks
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CathS, Check out Snoworks they do all in courses with flights transfers and accommodation inc or course only
Still a few running this year I think ,
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
or try The Development Centre, very good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you want to stay in the hostel anyway - UCPA?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, I don't particularly want to stay in the Youth Hostel, but want to avoid paying hundreds of pounds extra in single supplements (and spend the money on quality lessons instead). The Youth Hostel is probably the last ditch option... Re. UCPA, don't you have to be under 40 ? (I'm not Crying or Very sad )

Thanks for the other suggestions folks - keep them coming Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for Snoworks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CathS, another vote for Snoworks - I've done a fair few courses with them in the past and they've been very good. If you book on their accommodation package (normally now done through Mark Warner) you also don't have to worry about single supplements - assuming you're happy to share with a stranger - as they normally pair up singletons. Actually the last one I went on with then I lucked out and had a room to myself for no extra charge (ok, it was pre-season, and I left one night early).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I second TDC (The Development Centre) as Colin B suggests. I skied with both James (small group) and Rorie (private) in February and they were excellent. Obviously great technically (Rorie used to work for ESF in Tignes), but also very good instruction.

They are going for higher end instruction in small groups - up to 6 - and are all native English speakers, which I have found really helps a lot above a certain level, even if your French is good.

The only issue I had was that no-one else registered on the course I signed up for, so they merged two courses together. There were only two of us - the other chap was very nice, but much less experienced, so it was more like two simultaneous and independent private lessons. They also cut the course from 3 days to 2 for the same price (they gave me the option to cancel if I wasn't happy). I got more attention in 2 days than I would have had in a group of 6 in three, so no real complaints. I imagine this isn't infrequent in off-peak periods.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CathS, You don't "have" to be under 40 for UCPA but they would expect you to be comfortable with a young crownd and everything that goes with that

TDC 3rded
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CathS, are you on your own or is there a group of you?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Marc, Solo at the moment. Whether I can pursuade any friends to come out as well and share accommodation I don't know yet (they won't commit this early), but would probably be signing up for the course/lessons on my own.

Really just early planning stages and looking at different options, as it's for next year, but I'm very keen to go to Tignes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CathS, Last course I was on with Snoworks , had two solo girls on their first excursion off piste , and they had a blast , I also think they do a ladies only week
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the recommendations folks. Snoworks look really good (have just spent the last hour drooling over their brochure, wondering if I can just squeeze a week in pre-Christmas... Toofy Grin ). The accommodation package looks like a great deal, and solves the cursed single-supplement problem. They even fly from Manchester, which is a bonus.

So next question; how good's the snow in Tignes in December? Smile Maybe one for another forum!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CathS, this year was probably the best for a long while, but its usally ok
snow report
Also +1 for TDC.

Although I think I am the "other chap" as referred to by mb34, above. It was a great couple of says but really challenged me and hope I didnt hold mb34, and the instructor back too much. The way mb34, was skiing if he had shown up and said he was the instructor I would quite happily have followed him round for the next 2 days, my somewhat rudimentary 7 week technique was severely tested.
ski holidays
reded78,

mb34 mentioned that it was an 'off peak' period when you were there. Out of interest, what time of year was this? Doesn't sound ideal for either of you if beginner and more advanced end up thrown together in the same session.

Hope you still benefitted from it. Being severely challenged can be good, but you often don't appreciate this until afterwards.
snow report
If I wasn't with mb34, Then blimey he had a similar week to me. I was there the week after the UK half term,I.e. the first week of the Parisian half term and quiet it was not!!!

I did still enjoy the 2 days, more due to the fact that I just tried to get on with it and go down stuff I would never have attempted previously, but the level of teaching was very high. I had booked an intro to off-piste that seemded as though it was specifically designed with me in mind. As mentioned above this course ended up being combined with the all piste course which also included steeps / bumps etc which I was that keen on. The communication from TDC was very good though and they were aplogegtic and offered a full refund if I didn't want to take up the new offer.

I would certainly give them another go next time I'm in tignes.
snow conditions
Hi reded78, yes, that was me and it was fun skiing with you. It worked because you were so up for anything and a good laugh too.

My point was just that TDC put two potentially mismatched people together and cut the length of the course because they were underbooked. They are running a business, and it's not unreasonable to transfer the underbooking risk to your clients. They told me when I booked that I was the only person booked at the time, and that they wouldn't run the course for one pson only. As you say, communication was very good - they offered a refund or to transfer to a private lesson, they are a nice bunch, and the instruction was high quality.

CathS - Tignes was quite busy with Parisian school holidays, but I think TDC have overwhelmingly English clients, so I don't think they were.
latest report
CathS, We did 5 half days with TDC in mid December and they were excellent. (5 sessions for the price of 3 pre-season). Only three in the group that week so no lack of attention from our instructor James. It was combined with a pre-season deal from Skiworld and included a reduced price lift pass. (win-win!)

Always hearing good stuff about Snoworks and this year Phil & Emma have been based in Tignes for the whole season.

One option you could look at for accomodation is the Tignes Chalet Company. www.thetigneschaletcompany.com. They run the Lavachet Lodge on a B&B basis with cooking facilites.

There was no shortage of snow in mid December but the snow did arrive late this season. (ask any snowhead who was at the pre season bash!) Lots to think about and we ended up almost flipping a coin to choose between TDC and Snoworks. In the end it came down to cost and convenience. Skiworld were able to offer Manchester flights and Mark Warner/Snoworks weren't. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy