Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

this weekend from munich with kids - where?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from our first family skiing trip to niederau last week - fantastic week had by all - the kids (6 and 4) loved their first ski trip - the 6 year old managed one of the black runs by the last day. we are all now absolutely addicted

We have an opportunty to get to munich friday evening (march 30) and come back monday or tues evening for a cheeky weekend ski. I need somewhere drivable from munich (say 2 hours tops) but also with a easy train access back to munich (say within 15 mins drve or cheapish taxi from the resort) as my wife will probably have to come home a day or two before me and the kids and we will keep the car.
I'm guessing we need a high resort - all the high austrian ones look like they are in the far west tirol - any recommendations for a 2-3 day ski? alternatively garmisch partenkirchen comes up with a google about skiing from munich - Is the weather / snow any good there still? we will need a ski school for the little fella too (pref morning and afternoon)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alexl, Bavarian and some austrian schools begin their Easter holidays this weekend so you may find the roads out of Munich towards the south and SE are a wee bit busy. Not all of the travellers will be going skiing though, a high percentage of the cars will be going south to Italy or the Balkans (Slovenia, Croatia,)

You could try the Zillertal resorts or Ski Welt they will have lots of accommodation that is quite flexible. Ski Amadé is also a possibility and just on your 2 hour mark to Maria Alm (Trains to and from Saalfelden and then a taxi).

Garmisch is quite expensive, even the Germans complain about it! Many of the Austrian resorts have free ski passes for children over the Easter period as well.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oberstdorf is a nice resort...borders onto Austria, has quite a few runs worthy of a visit. Train from Oberstdorf town centre takes you straight to Munich with no changes.. (2hrs on the train), so assume car travel would be roughly the same. Ski schools and hire stations are in the town...all the runs are quite high (Fellhorn/Nebelhor) so coverage should be ok.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Garmisch is easy to get to, and it is snow-sure on the Zugspitz glacier, which is mostly easy reds. Also, the Hausberg part of the Garmish Classic ski area is still open according to the web site, and is mostly blues. A 4-day pass for two adults and 1 child is about 330 euros, 3-day 250 euros. Children under 6 are free. Ski hire is right on the glacier area.
You can stay in Hostel 2962, about 200m from the station. A 4-person room for 4 nights, Fri - Tue, is 480 euros including breakfast. it is the start of the German school holidays, as I expect you know.
We - me, wife, son (16) - will be there for 8 days, arriving on Monday morning on the overnight train from Cologne, and staying in the hostel until 9th Apr.
If you decide to come, PM me!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alexl, why not pop back to Niederau? The train back from Wörgl would suit your wife's needs. It would mean that you skiing what you already know and do not need to worry about getting lost. The snow is going to hold out for a week or so yet, despite all the doom and gloom merchants bleating on about altitude and aspect! Especially for your children it will enable them to become more confident because they do know the slopes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Zillertal certainly fis the bill, but as noted above the 1 hour 45 min drive can be a lot longer. Train back will involve a change to get on to a full gauge train.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Zillertal certainly fits the bill
- Agreed. Loads of different resorts/skis areas; tons of accommodation; fairly easy drive from Munich; Hintertux Glacier as snow guarantee/back up.

Quote:
Train back will involve a change to get on to a full gauge train
- This is because the train from Mayrhofen to the end of the Ziller Valley is a narrow gauge/baby train. Or you could simply drop your wife at Worgl train station (at the end of the Ziller Valley) for the main line train back to Munich.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Currently snowing in Mayrhofen Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy