Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski in April from Zurich Airport?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have got flights to Zurich on 31st March for 5 days - I'd love to hear from anyone who can recommend a nearby (<3hrs) suitable resort for us for first week in April skiing? I guess we are looking at Switzerland or Western Austria. Also I'm told on another thread to look for North facing slopes and high altitude at this time of year.

We have two girls age 7 & 5 who have just 4 days ski experience - so we need somewhere with lots of nice access-able blue/green slopes for them to improve their confidence on. Also local swimming pools etc would be a nice bonus.

I usually go to 3V or Les Arcs (both areas would be perfect for the kids) but that's a 5 hour drive from Zurich. If necessary we'll do that but thought we might gamble on somewhere new!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lech or St Anton.
Look for cheaper accommodation in either Stuben or Pettneu.

Or The Montafon.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've had good April skiing at St Anton - which is about on your time limit by train. Looks like current conditions are spring-like as you'd expect.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Engelberg 1h30min drive from Zurich, most snow in the alpes now I think, good beginner area on the glacier, then glacierskiing most time is easy,
Ski lodge Engelberg is a very good hotel run by scandinavian, so the speak perfect english, its a perfect place with very good value for the money,, http://skilodgeengelberg.com/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Engelberg for beginners!?!?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Simonskis, Davos maybe? but maybe not ideal for the girls...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Myself and the other half are travelling from Zurich to St Anton (via train) on the 2nd April. It cost use 64 EUR per person for a first class return and ther journey takes 2 hours 39 minutes. Rail travel in Europe really does put the UK to shame. We got our tickets from http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp. I hope this helps
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Simonskis, Galtur is probably a little more than three hours but is not a difficult trip. It has some decent North facing skiing although not desperately high, neither is it low with a base of 1600m it should have plenty of good snow for the kids, it would certainly be the kind of place I would have taken mine to at that age. It is a small ski area but very pleasant and there is a sports centre in town with a swimming pool.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH,
Quote:

Engelberg for beginners!?!?

Yes,,, there is not only for good skier
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just checked a return ticket for 1 adult and 2 children aged 5 and 7 from Zurich airport to St Anton cost £72, pretty good price. The Swiss train website can be set in English. I just bought tickets from it today, found it easy to use. Bought using a UK credit card.

I looked at St Anton's lift prices and your children get to ski for free as they are under 9 years old.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ischgl looking good - anyone got any feedback? Particularly for families?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Simonskis,
I have been there for the last five or six years with my family but caveats around my advice are that a) my kids even five years ago were older and more experienced than yours and b) We have been there in the feb break, not at Easter so conditions and crowds may vary.

It is a great place to ski, there is plenty of varied skiing. For kids when learning the main area is up at Idalp at 2300m it is a very good learning area if a little crowded at times. The lifts up can generate significant queues in the morning thereafter it is not bad. The runs back down at the end of the day narrow at the bottom and get very crowded, not for the faint hearted or early intermediate young kids. I would recommend downloading. Much of the area is north and north west facing though the easy slopes at Idalp face West and will probably get pretty soft as the day progresses.
Being a bit of a cheapskate I have not stayed in the town itself but elsewhere in cheaper accommodation along the valley, this is easy to do as there is good parking only a short walk from the lifts. Some of the accommodation is a significant distance from the lifts and if the kids are new to skiing it might be an idea to make use of the storage facilities at the bottom of the lifts or at Idalp.
If you do opt for staying elsewhere in the valley (other than Mathon) you cannot buy the cheaper Ischgl /Samnaun pass but have to buy a full valley pass.
We have not used the ski school as the first time we went we went to Samnaun and have stuck with ferrrying the kids across to there each morning, however the kids who do use the ski school generally seem happy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy