Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to check bindings after bad crash??

Poster: A snowHead
Had a real good crash a few weeks back, which has left me unsure if i need my equipment checked before i use them again? Been skiing nearly 20 years and had my worst crash recently that im still recovering from. Firstly i think i had my bindings where set to high......... @ 6ft and 15 stone, fast aggressive skier what should 165 gs skis be set on?? My skis didn't release at first, apparently i tumbled 2/3 times before they released, think i had knocked myself out so cant confirm that. Anyway once my friends had found my skis for me, both toe pieces where at 90 degrees vertical instead of horizontal. it took a lot of force to snap the bindings back into there normal position. My questions are should i have them checked as the crash was high speed and ive never known bindings to move in such a way and what setting do you think is to high??? On the plus side i only tore my medial ligament and should be back to norm in 6-8 weeks, seems unlikely based on the past 3 weeks tho!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your boot length also needs to be in the mix for the din setting, but if they didn't release when you think they should have then that alone is good reason to have both the din reviewed and the operation checked. My stats are similar to yours and I set mine on 7.

Any good shop will do this for little cost.

Get well soon.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swell, I am about 5 ft 10", weigh 15 stone 8 lbs & ski a DIN 7 setting (Mondo 27 boots - 168 skis), I had both hard & light tumbles whilst skiing and both times my skis released the bindings working safely - so I would suggest getting them checked - even if for your own peace of mind.

My wife's skis came off with the front toe pieces exactly as you suggested, I had to loosen the Din setting to re-align them & then re-set them, so we could ski home and finish our holiday - I replaced them.
Noisey
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swell, ...if you want to set din yourself be aware of following:

1 use Salomon or Rossignol din table
2 base setting on weight, boot sole length (usually small num on heel eg 305 for 26 boot), height and ability
3 never ski on a binding which is suspect
4 toes and heels of boots must be in good condition
5 get binding checked every couple of seasons re calibration eg by Jon coster who has the kit
6 do not drive back through salt spray with skis uncovered on roof of car - really messes the bindings with corrosion
7 forward pressure must be set accurately as well as din
8 on some bindings eg 912s the height and front wings must be adjusted exactly
9 keep debris particularly small stones off the base of boots and off the afd and binding parts
10 keep bindings and boot soles entirely ice-free when getting into them
11 do not leave wet bindings to freeze outside overnight - expanding ice can badly damage them

Any of the problems above or worse a combination of them can screw the release up
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
valais2 wrote:
Swell, ...if you want to set din yourself be aware of following:

Cool on some bindings eg 912s the height and front wings must be adjusted exactly

This certainly applies to the Salomon Driver toes. One the toe wings are adjusted, put a dab of thread lock or super glue on the screws to stop them working loose. Otherwise you should check them very often.

With regard to release vs. non-release, you need to bear in mind that 99% of all modern bindings are designed to release before your tib or fib snaps. That's what binding design has been about for the last 30-40 years - protecting bone. If you crashed and no bones were broken then basically the binding is performing as intended. If you're skiing hard and fast and you wipe out, most bindings will release even at very high settings. The problems arise when you're skiing more slowly and especially in twisty back-seated falls. That's when you can easily rip your knee up, while the binding has pretty much no force to work with.

Only one binding, with a tiny market share and a lot of controversy, actually claims to protect soft tissue like ACLs and MCLs - KneeBinding.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Swell wrote:
both toe pieces where at 90 degrees vertical instead of horizontal. it took a lot of force to snap the bindings back into there normal position.

I cannot answer your question as to whether they are OK, but that is a perfectly normal way for your bindings to release.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
noisey, jbob, 7 sounds a little low to me?

Most tables put me at 7.5 and I'm both shorter (5'8") and lighter (13st7) and never had skis not release when needed.

Swell, you don't mention what they were set at? Would be interested to hear.

Easiest thing would be just to get a shop to have a look, specially if you think they might be damaged.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swell, are your settings around 9.5??

Make sure the forward pressure is set correctly too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swell, Although some distance from you Filarinskis have a machine which checks the bindings, may be worth you driving down there for your owmn peace of mind, I certainly don't know of another shop that has a machine to check bindings

Quote:
We offer ski servicing and repairs aswell as snowboard servicing and repairs. We can also fit bindings and test them using our state of the art binding testing machine. Our technicians have over 20 years experience. Contact us for more information, and to see if we can help you with what you need

http://www.filarinskis.com/workshop-services/info_11.html.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
5' 11", 14st11. 312mm BSL. Rate myself Type III - III+ in terms of skiing style (note: III/+ means you ski aggressively, not necessarily that you ski well wink)

I mostly ski at 9. I have a couple of pairs of race bindings where I choose to ski at their lowest setting, which is 10. The skis still come off in a crash, and just as importantly, they don't come off when I'm not expecting it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing, ....jon coster (syderjon) has once near leicester.....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep, I've got torque testing machine as has Scottydog at Edge & Wax & Filarinski. Not sure which'd be closer for the OP. Not sure if Bartletts have one.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing,
Quote:

I certainly don't know of another shop that has a machine to check bindings

spyderjon, I do now Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bobmcstuff wrote:

Most tables put me at 7.5 and I'm both shorter (5'8") and lighter (13st7) and never had skis not release when needed.

Easiest thing would be just to get a shop to have a look, specially if you think they might be damaged.

Strange, I'm 5'8" and 10 stone and I set mine to 8, lower and I release.(and yes my forward pressure is set correctly)
snow report
mag1882 wrote:
bobmcstuff wrote:

Strange, I'm 5'8" and 10 stone and I set mine to 8, lower and I release.(and yes my forward pressure is set correctly)

What bindings do you have?
snow report
Griffons, certainly dont recommend them though, not durable at all but very light
snow conditions
Quote:

1 use Salomon or Rossignol din table
2 base setting on weight, boot sole length (usually small num on heel eg 305 for 26 boot), height and ability
3 never ski on a binding which is suspect
4 toes and heels of boots must be in good condition
5 get binding checked every couple of seasons re calibration eg by Jon coster who has the kit
6 do not drive back through salt spray with skis uncovered on roof of car - really messes the bindings with corrosion
7 forward pressure must be set accurately as well as din
8 on some bindings eg 912s the height and front wings must be adjusted exactly
9 keep debris particularly small stones off the base of boots and off the afd and binding parts
10 keep bindings and boot soles entirely ice-free when getting into them
11 do not leave wet bindings to freeze outside overnight - expanding ice can badly damage them

That's even more commandments than Moses got & I must have broken every one of them and probably most of them together at some time or another. Same as with bananas, I should just thank God for giving us Dynafit. Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy