Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sainte Foy - last minute problems with skiing holiday on Friday

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I made a post yesterday on the "piste" forum (http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=88099) not realising there was a disability forum with someone who may be able to help. To cut a very long story short, having sorted out a sit ski for use in Sainte Foy with lessons here in the UK at Milton Keynes Snodome and an instructor in resort on my first morning to teach me and my husband how to safely use the chairlifts, at the last minute it has all gone wrong and I no longer have a sit ski or an instructor.

As special dispensation, I am allowed to go on the chairlifts as long as I have a licensed sit ski for use in France and I pass a test of being "safe" to go on with my husband. Does anyone on this forum know of anyone who could hire me a sit ski and also get an instructor for a couple of sessions early in my week. We leave on Friday this week, to arrive in Sainte Foy on Saturday. We are travelling by car and have a 4x4 so are happy to travel if we need to - the only thing tying us to Sainte Foy is our accommodation and that my kids are in ski school there every afternoon.

People have suggested La Plagne, Val d'Isere and Tignes as nearby options with adaptive ski schools but as I say my children are in ski school each afternoon in Sainte Foy and as its their first ski holiday and they are only little, I would really like to ski in the same resort as them - I realise its school holidays and changing lessons at this stage is unlikely to be possible for them - their lessons are booked through ESF.

The other option that has been suggested to me is a ski bike - apparently they have lots of suspension - I have a triple spinal fusion that went wrong and pain is my problem plus a loss of some control of my left leg. I can use my shortened crutches with "claws" on the end to push myself along on the flat (or my husband pulls me) and I can get on the chairlifts on my own legs if I have to using my normal length crutches - my husband would have to carry the bike and it would involve lots of changes in height of my crutches and would not be ideal but might be an option for us all to be in Sainte Foy.

By the way, I booked Sainte Foy before the operation that went wrong so to be honest, expected to be able to ski on my own legs - I used to be an advanced skier.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you
Lucilla
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes- there is a charity called impossible dream who have sit skis for hire.

In france you cant go on the drag lifts (unless you want another broken back) as they whip at the beginning. Getting on a chair lift is easy if you have someone with you, ask them to slow it down as you want to get on, you then have to prop yourself in the air (the sit ski has an up position) this is where your husband can give you a hand, you then sit there with your head between your knees until the chair lift comes in under you and tips you back onto the seat.

I have never had to pass a test to see if i can use one (i mess it up many times)

Getting off, stick your riggers in the air above your head, as the ski tip touches throw yourself forward and land, thats the easy part.

Assuming you have sit skied before, otherwise you have a steep learning curve.

http://www.impossibledream.org.uk/ - they are rubbish with email so call them, you may want to tell them you always intended to ski with your husband otherwise they might not lend it to you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks I tried impossible dream and they don't rent to anyone who haven't either passed a course in the UK or skied before and someone independently has signed a piece of paper to say you have used all types of lifts including chair, pommel and button lifts.

Sadly ready to give up and admit defeat! Thanks anyway. Lucilla
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lucillapaull, Sad sorry to hear but nevertheless I hope you enjoy your holiday Very Happy

It's worth asking again here (for next time). I hope the person (I changed that word on reflection wink ) on the other thread hasn't put you off snowHeads Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi lucillapaull,

I am really sorry to hear that you have not had much luck in sorting your holiday in St Foy.

I fully understand that you are wanting to be based in St Foy considering that you have your accommodation arranged and your children in the ski school there, however l thought l would mention the following as option for you considering what has happened so far!

I have skied in St Foy and it is a lovely, small resort and also know the surrounding area well. However, have you thought about the possibility of changing resorts last minute?

Reason being, l am the Adaptive Manager of ES Adaptive that is based in Verbier and we have a fully equipped adaptive ski school that can help you. We are a division of European Snowsport Ski School and are also partnered with DSUK. As a result, we can easily cater for you and your families requirements. As you mentioned that you would be driving, Verbier is approx. a 4 hour drive from St Foy and if you drove direct it would not add a lot to your overall journey time.

See below for links to our website and snow heads post.

http://www.europeansnowsport.com/ski-school-verbier/es-adaptive/

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=87515

I really hope you are able to get something sorted for your holiday and if you would like any further information or want to just have a chat about adaptive skiing, please do not hesitate to contact me on adaptive@europeansnowsport.com.

Best of luck and l do hope you have a great holiday!

Thanks

Sam Colby

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 2-04-12 15:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lucillapaull, really sorry to hear you've not been able to source a sit ski. I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum interested to hear how you get on when you do make it back onto the slopes and wishing you lots of luck with it all x
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lucillapaull, I'm sorry I saw this plea for help too late to offer any useful suggestions for this year... (If I understood correctly, you left to go to Sainte Foy last Friday and you're there now?)
During your search, did you come across Dom of Active Therapy? www.activetherapy.eu He teaches adaptive skiing and has links with Tessier, a company who make monoskis. He may be worth contacting if you want to source a monoski and instructor in France for next year.

Alternatively, if you fancy a holiday in Zillertal, Austria I am an adaptive instructor and can provide equipment.

If you have any questions, give me a shout...
In the meantime, I hope you're having a good holiday and have been able to watch your boys ski.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SaraJ, I thought she was leaving this Friday? 30th?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy