Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The snowHeads ACL rehab club !

Poster: A snowHead
I'm just about to venture indoors for the first time this winter Smile I feel weak though.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avalanche Poodle, feel the force.....

Shame we never managed any more outdoors stuff. Real life is rubbish wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are still sunny days about... maybe even Thurs Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been re-reading this thread with interest, as I'm finally having my ACL repaired on Thursday, as it has become too unstable
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
genepi, best of luck. I have no regrets getting mine done (even if 10yre on I have taken half it out in a subsequent hockey injury). Work hard at the Physio afterwards and you should be good for next season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
genepi, oh, wow, that soon! Glad you're biting the bullet. Will you be around the corner? Very happy to come and visit!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
genepi, Good luck with the reconstruction, but you are in good hands for sure! As the others say, the rehab is the key to a good return to the pistes, so work hard. Even a terminally lazy git like myself has made it back after each operation (I've had 5 so far so I know the score so to speak) Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
genepi, good luck and do update us with your progress - you've obviously had to put some effort in to avoid needing the op up until now, so I'm sure there's no danger of you not taking good care of your post-op knee and being back on the slopes soon.

When I saw this thread pop up I thought 'blast from the past' - it really hasn't been that long at all but the whole thing feels in the distant past now, and when guests ask me how my knee is, it genuinely does take me a split second to register what they're talking about as I so rarely think of it these days. I only ever think or talk about it on snowHeads!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you Smile

Pedantica, Yep - just round the corner from you wink I'll only be in 1 night, I hope.

Samerberg Sue, I felt very confident with the surgeon, so I'm sure I am in excellent hands
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good Luck - I've just passed my 1st anniversary of my repair and have been skiing all season - and I'm mid 50s and was absolutely rubbish at rehab Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
genepi, just give me a call if and when you feel like a visit (I think you've got both my numbers, try the land line first) I can be round in less than 15 mins. Good luck for the op, you're in good hands indeed! xx

gvj, brilliant. Very Happy I love that, after all the rehab self-flagellation that gets described in minute detail. Really made me laugh. Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
genepi, good luck with the op x
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
genepi, Good Luck ! Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
genepi, good luck with the op - hope it goes well Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Home now Very Happy I think it went well - I'm certainly very happy with the treatment I received, and it's not too sore. The last thing JB told me when I saw him pre-op was to straighten my leg as soon as I woke up - which I did & it has remained straight. I am following the exercises the physio gave me before I left hospital. She mentioned that I may not be able to do them so well tomorrow, but we'll see.
snow report
genepi, excellent news - hope it continues I go well.
snow report
genepi, I expect you are glad that is over - now for the exercising bit I suppose. Best of luck
snow report
Pamski, Very! I was shocked by my 'white coat blood pressure'! Fortunately it returned to nice & normal during the night
snow conditions
genepi, Happy. I had the same thing, they were quite worried by my post op blood pressure until I pointed out that my pre-op one was exceptionally high for me.
ski holidays
genepi, glad to hear it went well xx
ski holidays
genepi, hooray, glad it went OK. Good luck with the rehab. Smile
snow report
genepi, good news Very Happy
Did he take a piece of hamstring for the reconstruction?
snow report
RachelQ, Yes, & nibbled torn meniscus to encourage it to heal. Did you have a reconstruction? - I can't remember now
ski holidays
genepi, well good luck it all heals quickly and well. No I didn't, and hopefully won't need one - mine was an ACL avulsion fracture, so the acl was still attached, although I lost some of it when the boney growth was removed a few months ago. Feels solid skiing with a knee brace and it's fine the rest of the time Very Happy
snow report
just got home from ACL Surgery had hamstring graft if my french is correct (2 nights/3 days of very french speaking hospital is hard work - only the surgeon spoke English) - knee has now started to swell - I am luck to have been lent an ice/compression (http://www.gpe-bci.com/SingleSystem.html) machine that is combating the swelling and trying to give me hypothermia Wink
ski holidays
Idris, good luck with your recovery too!
snow report
Idris, Best of luck with your recovery - I had mine done on Thursday. Not very swollen, but icing & elevating & exercising it as directed. Hard drugs help too wink
snow conditions
Idris, it gets better , so to speak ! Perfect timing for next season Smile

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 27-04-14 11:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good luck Idris - as AndAnotherThing.. says, perfect timing for next season. Which hospital did you go to?
ski holidays
Thanks genepi, AndAnotherThing.. and miranda

Hospital Clinique d'Argonay near Annecy - Surgeon Jean-Charles Rollier - Rehab is Clinique du Sport Chamonix - Physio Neil Maclean-Martin
snow report
Idris, genepi, go well. Little Angel
snow report
As igLou said, Argonay was a little too close to Agony for my liking, so I went to the Clinique Generale in Annecy instead. wink I had it on my notes that I wanted an English-speaking member of staff to be there when I came round if possible as I was worried I wouldn't be able to speak French after the general anaesthetic (I was completely out of it when I came round after having my wisdom teeth out years ago and didn't remember my mum driving me home or putting me to bed or anything) but (apart from my surgeon) no one spoke English. It was fine, though, thankfully. Actually my French really improved as a result of snapping my ACL!

If you feel like it, please let us know how you're getting on.
ski holidays
Day 3 post-op today, & feeling better. The tramadol made me feel rather sick yesterday & unable to eat, so have stopped it & the pain is really not too bad - managing with diclofenic & paracetamol. Feeling a bit frustrated with how little I can do - but I find the knee swells & is more uncomfortable if I walk around too much. So mostly lying on the sofa with my leg well elevated & icing it regularly with the gel cuff I have that compresses it at the same time. Took the big bandages off yesterday but still have the gorgeous white ted stockings to wear - for the next 10days. Exercises & a good book are relieving the boredom - currently reading 'An Unquiet Mind' by Kay Jamison, which is making me appreciate how lucky I am in the scheme if things.

I hope you are getting on alright Idris, ? I've been looking at your photos on the Cham thread - looks like you had a great season, despite your knee Smile
latest report
genepi,
Quote:

'An Unquiet Mind' by Kay Jamison
Brilliant, brilliant book/woman!
Glad you're (relatively) OK.
snow report
genepi wrote:
Day 3 post-op today, & feeling better. The tramadol made me feel rather sick yesterday & unable to eat, so have stopped it & the pain is really not too bad - managing with diclofenic & paracetamol. Feeling a bit frustrated with how little I can do - but I find the knee swells & is more uncomfortable if I walk around too much. So mostly lying on the sofa with my leg well elevated & icing it regularly with the gel cuff I have that compresses it at the same time. Took the big bandages off yesterday but still have the gorgeous white ted stockings to wear - for the next 10days. Exercises & a good book are relieving the boredom - currently reading 'An Unquiet Mind' by Kay Jamison, which is making me appreciate how lucky I am in the scheme if things.

I hope you are getting on alright Idris, ? I've been looking at your photos on the Cham thread - looks like you had a great season, despite your knee Smile

Genepi -Hope you feel better today and can eat properly.

I am at the same stage as you (Operation 4pm last Thursday), but so far I'm suffering a little less. No sickness issues (so far) - followed the pain meds they gave me in Hospital (released me on Saturday afternoon), had 2 more tablets Sat eve, but yesterday only needed one (taking the anti inflammatory as prescribed) they gave me. Only took one pain med yesterday, probably wont need one today.
My knee also gets pissed off - hot and swollen if I walk much - was worse Saturday than Friday - much, much better today.
I also have a lovely compression stocking on my good leg.
I have DVT injection daily for 2 weeks and have to change the dressing on the punctures for the same time, And blood test twice a week!
I had a gel n compress splint to begin with but now I'm on a cryo compress machine - pumps ice water into a cuff for 15 sec every 30 to a set pressure. - bloody freezing.

As for ski season - Yes I skied but VERY gently and restricted compared to a normal one - VB not Cosmiques or Rond - One Crochues Berade tour no multi day or 2km climbs.

Working my way through the Tom Baker Dr Who years Wink [/u]
snow report
Idris, I was thinking about the timing for next season snowHead
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Idris, I was thinking about the timing for next season snowHead

For next winter, yes that's why I opted for now. Having originally broken my ACL last August!

BUT despite being a little lac luster the season is ending rather well, and as I am in bed steep skiing season is kicking off - I wouldn't have been strong enough to properly enjoy it though, so probably for the better that I'm missing it.
snow conditions
Idris, You're 1.5hrs ahead of me wink

Just back from my first physio session. He declared himself amazed that I have 100% leg extension & 95degree flex. He then put me on an exercise bike, but I couldn't quite do a full turn as it made me feel a bit queasy - not because it hurt, but I think I have a slightly overactive imagination! Then a few little weight-bearing squats. Home now & leg elevated & being iced. Surprisingly tiring!
snow conditions
Very well done Genepi - I overdid it a bit yesterday had go go to town twice for blood test and GP at opposite ends of the day - Knee or rather shin angry and swollen - so a day in bed with the knee up and on Ice for me.
ski holidays
Idris, It doesn't take much to overdo things & make it hurt does it? It'll be ok again by tomorrow I expect wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy