Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The snowHeads ACL rehab club !

Poster: A snowHead
genepi,

Cadaver graft are donated by the same generous individuals who donate their other tissues. Some suppliers source them overseas. They have to be treated to "bio cleanse them" ie kill anything in it that might cause trouble. You don't know the age of the person who donated it.
I would need to know the drugs to comment on whether they have damaged your tendon
I have used cadaveric for multi ligament injuries in the past but can see no reason to do so in healthy fit individuals requiring an first time ACL. There is some evidence that they don't last as long.

At 56 your patella or hamstrings tendon is quite likely to be younger than the donated graft. I've never seen problems from taking grafts from someone in their 50's or even in the occasional cases of someone in their 60's. if you don't want a cadaveric graft just tell your surgeon you don't want one.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx wrote:
Jonathan Bell, cheeky to butt in, but I have a thread running over on Apres after my comminuted compression condyle lateral tibial plateau fracture last week. If you get a minute it would be good to see what you think of the x-rays on Pages 7 & 8 http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99642&start=240 (thanks)

Jonathan Bell I think we cross posted and yours ended up on a new page, so I'm being even cheekier by bringing mine forward to the new page as well
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx,

I've posted on the original thread
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx,

I've posted on the original thread
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonathan Bell, many thanks (twice wink )
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So, today was my last day of skiing in the 2012/13 season (last guests leave tomorrow and I'm heading back to the city for a bit of a break), and it was a fab day with pam w in Les Saisies.

I'm delighted I made it through without injury and with my knee feeling really good (i.e not feeling anything at all - no soreness, swelling or twinges). After spending last summer being chalet bound (not particularly helpful being told you can only walk or cycle on the flat for months on end when you're in the Alps!) I am really looking forward to a summer of hiking (with poles and carefully on the downhill) and biking and building up my strength a bit more.

I am definitely skiing more cautiously (more slowly and noticing I'm doing that classic error of leaning into the slope a bit when I get a bit nervous, but at least I'm aware I'm doing it and correcting it and regrouping). But, all in all, I've really enjoyed this season of skiing, except one day when the pistes were busy and I was overly-nervous of someone skiing into me. I don't like skiing in busy areas but it shows I do still have a couple of psychological hurdles to get over post injury.... might have been good if I'd fallen over once, just to remind myself that you can and will fall over without breaking your ACL... but the mental stuff I can work on no problem, as long as the physical hurdles have been jumped successfully, I'm happy!

Now, Jonathan Bell, please do not feel obliged to answer my very trivial question (and please don't let it put you off posting here as everyone values your expert input so much)... I've got a couple of parties to go to when I head back to the city... I spend 80% of my life up a mountain in sensible shoes... would I be absolutely crazy to dig out my high heels nearly a year after the reconstruction (or, indeed, ever)?

(apologies again for the trivial nature of the question Embarassed)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
miranda, trivial? That's not trivial, it is of the utmost importance! Shocked wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
miranda, So pleased you had a good season, and wot Pedantica says!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica, holidayloverxx, thanks for the support! It was a really good season - was out-skied by Pam today, even though she fractured her pelvis recently... I'd like to think it was because of the ACL but, unfortunately, I know that's not the case Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
miranda, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had ACL reconstruction in 2007, done over 150 days skiing since then, no problems until last week when I twisted ACL reconstructed knee. Bit stressed as knee swelled up, worried about having ruptured ACL reconstruction. Been to physio today, 1 week after injury, he was very happy with knee no sign of any damage to ligaments or rest of knee probably just hyperextended it so now I am much happier. Can now start planning next ski trip!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Phatchick wrote:
Had ACL reconstruction in 2007, done over 150 days skiing since then

that's just showing off wink

It must be such a relief to hear no signs of damage to the ligaments - I can imagine the fear of seeing swelling on the knee again!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
miranda,

I have no concern re high heels. There're not great for your feet, but you probably knew that and they can irritate the patella femoral joint, if you are prone to patella problems. No problem re the ACL .

Life would be fairly dull if we couldn't indulge ourselves occasionally in what we liked rather than what was good for us. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Managed to get lots of skiing in as was living in Christchuch NZ for 4 winters only 2hrs to the snow which made it easy to do lots of skiing!!

Very happy to be told knee is stable by the physio. Didn't have any knee swelling with the original injury so was somewhat concerned about this swelling.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonathan Bell, hooray! Thank you, I will pack my glass slippers, and I shall go to the ball! (and try not to get drunk and fall over in them Laughing)
snow report
Miranda,
In terms of you knee, I think it was about 18mnths later when I was playing touch rugby on the beach without even thinking about it when I realised that the knee was solid and I was no longer anxious about it or trying to protect it. So by next ski season I am sure you will skiing without any anxieties.
snow conditions
1 year update (or there abouts).

Just back from a run out on the motorbike which is probably the final 'test' for the repaired knee. Pre Winter I lacked enough flex to be able to properly place my foot on the footrest and moving around on the bike was hard, partly due to the lack of flex but also due to lack of strength. It's a 250 super sports bike so requires a certain amount of input to get the best from it.

Todays short ride was perfect. As much (or more) flex as the 'good' leg, no probs moving around on the bike and I'd be confident to get back on track and chase lap times.

The last couple of days the knee has been pretty sore down the out side while walking, but I've been back to working it at the behest of my physio. Hopefully a case of no pain, no gain....
ski holidays
Recovery update - 3 weeks and a bit post ACL reconstruction and things seem to be going OK. My physio thinks I've regained full extension but to me it still feels a little restricted. Flexing now to 130 degrees. Scars healing well. Still icing a couple of times a day as feels achey around the tibia especially after doing much. No pain killers used for a week or so now. I think the main things I've been surprised at having t contend with are firstly the frustation and secondly how tired I feel. Having the flu a few days after the op certainly didn't help and maybe I am still a bit "post viral" but walking just a mile tires me out. Pre-injury I got most of my exercise either skiing, hiking, cycling or sailing and having all those ruled out for a few months to a greater or lesser extent is driving me nuts; looks like I'm going to have to join a gym or something.
snow report
AndAnotherThing.., Great news (apart from the scary motor bike stuff)

gvj, I agree on the tiredness; I'm ready for bed at 10:00 and I'm a real night bird usually
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, Having seen the photos of your injury ....... I reckon you're entitled to feel tired!
ski holidays
I missed the updates on here whilst I was away - AndAnotherThing.., great news that your flex is at least as good, if not better. Has your physio explained why the knee was a bit sore down the outside whilst walking? (I suspect it might be something I start experiencing when I FINALLY get to hill walk this summer).

gvj, 130 degrees is great after 3 weeks isn't it? I know that it feels like you'll go crazy (and my exercise preferences are the same as yours except sailing, so joining a gym did not appeal at all), but it does go faster than you think.

My back was also in better shape from ACL injury until full recovery than it's ever been. It's always been a million times better in the mountains than it was when I was in a desk job, but it was totally perfect and pain-free for a year from injuring my knee... I think this was because I was having to do upper body exercise and pilates just so I was doing something, anything... I dropped that as soon as my knee got better and I could get back to "normal" and now I'm feeling the effects... so maybe having to do different sorts of exercises from what I would normally do was a positive as it's made me realise I should keep up with the upper body stuff (inevitably I never did get off my back bottom and achieve my goal of learning to swim proper strokes though rolling eyes)
ski holidays
miranda wrote:
I missed the updates on here whilst I was away - AndAnotherThing.., great news that your flex is at least as good, if not better. Has your physio explained why the knee was a bit sore down the outside whilst walking? (I suspect it might be something I start experiencing when I FINALLY get to hill walk this summer).

I think the source of the problem was the 1 legged strength work I've been doing day to day on the office to try and build strength. Touch wood it's almost back to normal now.

Hill walking is as good as before, just don't get out enough.

For your upper body exercise how's about starting climbing ?
snow conditions
AndAnotherThing.., well the plan is definitely to do via ferrata - does that count as a good start?!
snow report
miranda, absolutely Toofy Grin
snow conditions
miranda, yes - as far as the knee goes - flex is good - however I think I overused it after the positive feedback: - cue swelling, worsening limp and a strict telling off by a second physio as by the time I saw him I definitely had lost full extension again. So it was back to lots of ice, ibuprofen and quads exs. Seems to be working - touch wood.
The local via ferrata were on my list of "must do's" this summer - I'm told that the one nearest to you is the best one to start with, followed by the one above LBG, then Thone only if you have a very good head for heights. Let us know what you think as it looks like next year for me now.
Just have to content myself with watching some sort of bicycle race that's apparently passing through in July wink ....
ski holidays
Hi guys n'gals glad to hear things going well.

I was hoping to ski some more this week (ski touring) but the weather Gods had other ideas.

Last day on skis was yesterday when it was the final day of the season here in Serre.

This season I have still been skiing with the brace, highlights of this season was one VERY BIG day in La Grave when I was really hung out to dry by my "mate" and the young guide, I was not too proud to say I needed a rest on a couple of occasions, but maybe I should have said the pace was just too quick and for them to slow it down, but who was I to spoil my mates fun and the guide's rolling eyes

Few tweaks going on in both knees but put that down to general abuse, nothing a few early morning paracetamol and ibuprofen cocktail can't sort out.

Been skiing hard and fast on the piste and no probs in the right type of powder, in fact it's way easier on the knees!

Have really tried to ski the sludge better as that what knocks my confidence big time, on the advice of more than a few people bought myself some fatter skis (104 waist) and a new pair of touring freeride boots, and don't know whether that acted as a placebo but according to my mates I was skiing as if I was some kid out in the park, think that was a complement Puzzled

Biggest pain in the knee was after a long hike up the hill behind us, and it was a very steep descent (did not take poles) and it was only when I was driving did I complain of acute pain in my non ACL knee.

I've done around eight weeks this year in the Mountains, one week in Tignes in January, one major snow bound week in the Pyrenees and have been out here since March 15th.

When not skiing I've been doing a fair amount of cycling as well - all on the blog as to what we've been doing along with vids
http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/2013serrecheblog.html

So back to the UK, either Wed or Thurs - and did I tell you ?

My daughter has her ACL operation this Wednesday after doing hers on Xmas eve in Tignes, though she stayed out there, rather than come back.

It's only just now as she starts to get really nervous is she listening to her old man, but I know she'll think that she, or her mates will know best when it comes to rehab, I'm afraid she will not have the discipline to work the knee and will just hope it will do it naturally, there again, she's young enough maybe to get away with it?

I sincerely hope that's the case!
snow report
Weathercam, Glad your knee has recovered OK & hope your daughter has a good op. snowHead
snow report
+1
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just spotted this:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

personally I'm using my knee injury as an excuse to never have to run anywhere ever again!

how are you doing with cycling up to the Col des Saisies, miranda?

on holidayloverxx's thread and didn't want to derail that thread so thought I'd answer over here. The answer is very slowly (we have had a really, really busy summer so far - this week is our quietest and it's absolutely baking so I'm doing hikes in shaded forests instead) so not started Project Saisies yet, target date for completion is the end of September. I'm in a catch 22 with that bike though - it makes my bum bones hurt so I don't want to go out on it, but obviously I need to go out on it to reach the stage when it stops making my bum bones hurt!

I have been so busy in fact that I haven't felt any urgency to see my surgeon for the 12 month sign off (which I should have done mid to late May Embarassed). I will go and see him, though. The only thing I notice now, which is a bit new, is a crunchy sound when I go from full flex (i.e. sitting back on my heels) to extension... I am hoping this is just a sign that I need to build up my leg muscles more and not something more sinister... there is absolutely no pain at all but the noise is a little disconcerting... not sure if it's just getting older?

How are everyone else and their daughters doing?
snow report
miranda, why not get a more comfortable saddle?
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
miranda, why not get a more comfortable saddle?

+ 1

Although note that 'more comfortable saddle' really doesn't mean a bigger one with more cushioning!
snow conditions
Batman_123, ooh, you're cyclist aren't you - how do you know whether a saddle is going to be comfortable? (it's fine for a while). I keep getting advice from lots of blokes... Apparently getting some padding (other than in my shorts) will make it worse somehow and once I do start using the bike properly and cycling up the hills here, I would regret getting a heavier (softer) saddle... so I'm basically being told to just get on with it, no pain, no gain... it doesn't help that the only times I've been out on it this summer I've been going slowly round the lake at Annecy as we've had friends and small children in tow, which meant a lot more time slow pedalling, sitting with full weight on the saddle Skullie

I currently view my bike as an instrument of mild torture... what do you suggest?
ski holidays
miranda, I'd agree with your friends that padding will make it worse but don't agree that you have to sit and suffer. Have you got a decent bike shop near you? If so, they can measure your sit bones, to see what sort of saddle you need. As I understand it, a saddle needs to be appropriate to the width of your sit bones and the flex you ahve in your back. Fizik's spine concept explanation page - http://www.fizik.it/spineconcept/ might explain this a bit better -
Most women I know who ride a lot tend to like a saddle with a cut out or a channel down the middle as it removes a bit of pressure.

I use a Fizik Antares Versus, which made a huge huge difference to my comfort on the bike. Alot of girls I know seem to use and like the Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow. However, its really down to personal preference. Most good bike shops should ahve a range of test saddles that they'll let you use before buying, which is definitely worth taking advantage of.
latest report
Batman_123, that's really brilliant advice, thanks and I'll have a proper read. Um, how do they measure your sit bones?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 26-07-13 12:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
+ make sure you have decent padded shorts and there's a lot to be said for using chamois cream (its not just for blokes!)
snow report
The following article might be of interest and might explain the sit bone thing better than I can...

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/health-are-you-sitting-comfortably-30179/
snow conditions
Batman_123, thanks again!

Take a piece of aluminium kitchen foil and place it on a carpeted stair. Sit on the foil, lean forward a bit to approximate your riding position, then lift your feet. This should leave a good impression of your rear in the foil, and you can measure between the two points of deepest impression to get your sit bone width.

Ok, this sounds a bit better than the tape measure in the shop scenario I was imagining! Laughing
ski holidays
It's been a few months since I posted in this forum - so to bring my story up to date, I ruptured MCL and ACL in right knee January, and I'm working on rehab without surgery. I finished the NHS physio leg programme in May, and I'm now seeing a private physio and personal trainer (www.core-cambridge.com) I have no problems walking on flat ground and up&down stairs, and I can now fully flex my right knee to stretch the hamstring.

I get an occasional over hyperextension of the right knee when on a crosstrainer, and I'm still a bit wary when walking on rough ground (especially downhill).

My exercise program contains split squats, goblet squats, hip thrust, side planks, and deadlift (working on improving the back as well as the knee). I'm not yet doing anything to put any strong sideways stress on the knee, but it's getting a lot stronger (currently going to the gym 4 times a week).
snow report
HChalkley, I'm glad things are working out OK for you. That sounds like a committed program !
ski holidays
UPDATE - 18 months post op.

Summer started with good intentions, mainly to get on the push bike and try and build some more leg strength. While I did manage few few miles I doubt it made that much difference.

However I did make an effort with lots of hill walking, indoor climbing & fishing(!) to try and stay fit.

Last week saw my return to some more serious performance training, spending 3 days at Manchester coaching and being coached as part of a training\racing module.

It's fair to say that over the last 18 months I'd become fairly rusty when it came to skiing fast but it all mostly came back over the course of the 3 days. Drills included lots of 1 legged skiing including the infamous 'white pass' turn plus skiing with a single ski, having taken the other one off. This was quite tiring, not just the skiing element but also standing on the same leg riding the drag lift.

Overall the knee was excellent, with only the single ski session causing some discomfort afterwards, although it felt fine at the time.

It's certainly the case that days will go by without giving any thought to the knee and generally I don't think it's any worse than the 'good' one !

One thing that does seem to have really helped is the indoor climbing. It appears to be a big benefit to improving balance skills.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy