Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The snowHeads ACL rehab club !

Poster: A snowHead
AndAnotherThing.., Thanks, yep I think being sideswiped by someone else would be my main concern too, maybe the physio doesn't have much knowledge of dryslopes? Mine although a skier and boarder said that I should go on the nursery slope so I don't build up too much speed... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gatecrasher, It's a tricky one. I ended up shadowing a Level 1 instructor refresher my first time back which was useful as we went through the whole progression - straight running, plough, etc. etc.

The following week I joined the 'top group' at our local slope and spent a fair bit of time doing agility and balance drills, mostly at low speed. I guess it's a case of building slowly and seeing how it reacts but you are in a different situation if you have not had surgery - presumably you are more at risk from instability ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AndAnotherThing.., Yep, tbh it all feels pretty stable, I guess I'm a bit wary about catching an inside edge, I think I'll just start with plough/parallels etc. and slowly work up over a couple of sessions!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went for a slide last night, didn't quite stick to the plan but not too shabby and feels pretty good! Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gatecrasher, Way to go snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi everyone, have read through this thread with interest. I managed to tear my medial collateral ligament and chip a bone on one knee with possible meniscus damage and quite badly sprain the same ligament on the other knee on Friday after a rather dull fall in deep powder. Now at home in UK and intending to see the GP tomorrow to get the ball rolling with physio, MRI and ortho on my private healthcare, but what should I do in the meantime? I can barely walk and can't get up from bed without assistance due to the 2 dodgy knees, one with a soft full length cast and the other heavily taped by the French doctor. I was given codeine, anti-coagulants and have developed an enthusiastic relationship with Voltaren cream. Iced it heaps on Fri but not since due to transfers and flight.

Should I just keep lying still til I can get to the physio? I'm very conscious of not making it worse but am keen to get life back on track as well.

I have to also recommend my insurers - Insure & Go. They were super quick to get me a row of seats on a flight, airport assistance and new transfers for me - absolutely no fuss at all. Very pleased with their help.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
aussie82, rotten news but the great thing is you have private healthcare so you shouldn't have too long a wait. I would have thought rest, ice, elevation and a nice glass of something is all you can do over the next few days. My doctor did tell me that - as long as my knee was immobilized by the brace - there was nothing I could do to make it better or worse, although standing around and walking too much was only going to make the swelling worse and some surgeons won't deal with a still-swollen knee (I knew straight away it was a fully ruptured ACL). I run a chalet, so sitting around wasn't much of an option but it sounds like you are less mobile at the moment due to having both knees out of action.

After the fall, seeing doctors abroad, flying home etc., perhaps you are best just to sit tight til you see the UK doctor and try to remember to be glad it wasn't worse and that the reality is nowhere bad as it can seem when you first injure yourself - once the MRI has confirmed what's happened, it shouldn't be long before you can get on with more stuff. Let us know what happens - I wasn't allowed to start physio for a few weeks after the injury, but that was in France, so maybe the UK followers of this thread can be more helpful. Good luck with it all - you do need to be patient for a while, but it's not as bleak as it might feel right now.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
aussie82, Keep the leg raised and ankle pump like you were bailing out the sinking Titanic. Ice the medial area for 15 to 20 minutes per hour to reduce the swelling. Do not support the knee under the knee itself. Rather make a ramp of cushions along the whole length of the leg to raise it. They may not operate on the MCL as it has a good blood supply and can often heal itself, albeit quite slowly. The main aim for now should be reduce the swelling, get the range of movement back, passively preferably until you have a clear diagnosis. And get that MRI done at the best possible place you can afford under your insurance. Good luck wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh thanks guys, I really appreciate your help. I will get back onto the icing and elevate the leg. The French doctor's report says "immobilise for 4 weeks" so I don't think I'm going to be doing cartwheels any time soon Very Happy

Can anyone recommend a good MRI place in London? My boss had a knee reco recently so I will ask for referral to the same ortho - the same surgeon has been recommended on this thread, and I think the physio I usually see is covered by AXA, but being "not from around here", I don't know about MRI scans.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
aussie82,

There is some info in this thread about private MRIs

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80426
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
aussie82, There is a predominately Aussie set up in London that comes highly recommended from all those who have been treated by them? Here is their web site: http://www.puresportsmed.com I think they have a variety of centres throughout the capital. I have never used them but I correspond with a number of people who have used them and they all got back to sports much faster than most. At least the accents will make you feel at home! wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Update - Month 8.

Just back from my second full weeks skiing and all went OK. Fast on piste, steep off piste, soft bumps and some powder. I skied mostly all day and while the whole thing wasn't discomfort free, it was fine while actually skiing and the bad one didn't hurt any more than the good one !

I also had a day on a snowboard. Rubbish hire kit aside it was all good. My main concern was riding the lists as the operated knee is my leading leg. Having a few kgs of board swinging around didn't seem too appealing but in the end it felt fine. With hindsight I'm not sure I've heard of knee damage for boarders while on lifts.

The next step for me will be a return to technical training and\or GS race training. In my mind I don't feel quite ready for that right now but I'd think that would be reasonable by the end of the season.

I injured the knee on the off piste bash last March and at the time thought it would be doubtful that I'd be there this year. As it happens I'd have no hesitation booking up and skiing the same lines again snowHead

Thanks to everyone here for all your encouragement and advice. You really did make the recovery process much easier and arguably much faster. Thank you. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AndAnotherThing.., Great news. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndAnotherThing.., that just sounds absolutely brilliant! All the hard work you put in has clearly paid off big time and it's so great to hear that you have no hesitation going back to the scene of the crime! I needed to hear your good news today, actually, as was planning to get my skis on in the next day or two as the New Year guests leave...

Thank you too for your encouragement and advice - you've been extremely helpful to me through the process too and I'm sure others reading this thread will take heart from your speedy progress and realise that ACL injury isn't as bad as it can seem when you first do it! snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AndAnotherThing.., Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
AndAnotherThing.., Absolutely stoked for you, all those chats we had via Skype have really paid dividends. Just goes to show that things are not always the doom and gloom that the UK medics often pour on your hopes! Proper treatment, realistic and achievable milestones and conscientious rehab really pays off. Mind you your location close to Lilleshall helped a lot as well as being near such a good orthopaedic department as the Robert and Agnes Jones Hospital has was also an advantage!

Hope to see you out here soon - needing snowboard lessons as I want to get back off piste as well! wink Toofy Grin
snow report
Samerberg Sue, Yep, Scarpa's been telling me about his plans so another reason to sneak out...

Quote:
Mind you your location close to Lilleshall helped a lot

That 'final' stage rehab guidance from the sports injury guys there made the difference in getting the strength back and ready for skiing. £35 per session (basically working through the next sets of drills to do at home) every 4 or 5 weeks is a no brainer.
ski holidays
et c'est parti pour le ski! 1.5 hour lesson that I was expecting to spend on a green (I was feeling very nervous this morning)... did two runs of that and then onto a couple of blues and then - albeit a short section of - a red. Piste snow was absolutely lovely and chalky, glorious blue skies and sunshine, no pain, no wobbles, big smiles, and finished off with a vin chaud in a deckchair. What a relief! snowHead
ski holidays
miranda, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
miranda, great to hear! Very Happy

AndAnotherThing.., ^^^ ditto!
snow report
I now realise I awarded miranda more happy smilies than I awarded to AndAnotherThing... Sorry, didn't mean to be divisive! Really, really happy for you both.
ski holidays
Thanks for the good wishes! Today had all the great aspects of being a beginner again and none of the bad bits - a day to remind you of those early holidays when you fell in love with skiing in the first place! I'm lucky enough to have the pistes there all season so didn't push it beyond 2 hours today but, equally, can't wait to get back out there and (slowly) progress a bit more each day. Very Happy
snow conditions
miranda, Superb, I'm really pleased for you snowHead

The beginner thing is so true. Like learning to ski again...
snow report
miranda wrote:
aussie82, rotten news but the great thing is you have private healthcare so you shouldn't have too long a wait. I would have thought rest, ice, elevation and a nice glass of something is all you can do over the next few days. My doctor did tell me that - as long as my knee was immobilized by the brace - there was nothing I could do to make it better or worse, although standing around and walking too much was only going to make the swelling worse and some surgeons won't deal with a still-swollen knee (I knew straight away it was a fully ruptured ACL). I run a chalet, so sitting around wasn't much of an option but it sounds like you are less mobile at the moment due to having both knees out of action.

After the fall, seeing doctors abroad, flying home etc., perhaps you are best just to sit tight til you see the UK doctor and try to remember to be glad it wasn't worse and that the reality is nowhere bad as it can seem when you first injure yourself - once the MRI has confirmed what's happened, it shouldn't be long before you can get on with more stuff. Let us know what happens - I wasn't allowed to start physio for a few weeks after the injury, but that was in France, so maybe the UK followers of this thread can be more helpful. Good luck with it all - you do need to be patient for a while, but it's not as bleak as it might feel right now.

Just as an update - once back in London, my MRI confirmed a grade 2 torn MCL in each knee and a torn ACL in one knee. However the consultant reckons there's a fair chance I've actually done both ACLS (I sincerely hope not) but that will be looked at again in a few weeks.

I am currently perfecting the art of working from home in my pyjamas (desk job) and work is kindly ferrying me around in taxis when I need to be there in person. I'm starting physio tomorrow to help heal as much possible and expect to have surgery on my ACL in March/April sometime. Surprisingly the knees are starting to feel loads better now that I've hit the 2 week mark - I had a hinged brace fitted and in a matter of days have managed to get 90 degrees back.

Next year I will stay upright on my skis! I am reasonably cheerful/pragmatic about it now and genuinely grateful for private healthcare/a desk job/very understanding employers, as it could be so much worse. Thank you very much for your advice Miranda and Samerberg Sue.
snow report
aussie82, great to hear that you are managing to get on with stuff and remain cheerful (you may even miss the working from home in pyjamas bit when it finishes)! March/April surgery also gives you loads of time to recover and strengthen up your muscles before the next ski season!
snow report
aussie82, private healthcare is a winner. I left my job to do the season and had to rely on the NHS really could have done with my private healthcare as took ages on waiting lists. get the op done asap, you will have a good chance of being ok to ski next season.
snow conditions
hi there
sorry to hear about your injury, i sympathise, ive had both knees operated on and in fact i had an accident at 11.00 in the morning and the operation at 4 that same day in austria i couldnt have had better and also a better outcome i am able to ski and do everything. the second knee injury again in austria and i had the op 12 hours afterwards. i think there is a window of opertunity up to 24 hours after an accident and then after that it is weeks or maybe months. so if you want to get better quickly you must have the op asap. i went to elite physio after for rehab and couldnt be in better shape now. they are marvelous. as for the n h s , well i think they will keep you waiting and waiting . sorry i havent much faith in the nhs after being misdiagnosed on several occasions both myself and my family. best of luck with the knee.xxx
ski holidays
hi there again
just to say both of my knee injurys was ruptured a c l with torn miniscus. also i started physio a s a p started off with straightening the knee. very dificult . very hard also ice ice ice practically all day with ibruprofen , taken 4 times a day full strength . elevation . and gentle walking but only after a couple of days and only around the house.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
powder.jan, Thanks for posting. Was the operation funded by your travel insurance ? When I did mine there was no interest from them in terms of a local op.
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., I think it depends on the hospital doing the diagnosis. If they say they want/have to operate now, there is not a lot the insurer can do about it surely? My very first knee injury back in March 1989 while working in St Johann in Tirol was like that: injury in the afternoon when someone hit me, went to the local hospital that afternoon and was operated on within 12 hours. My husband could not get hold of anyone at the insurance company in time but the hospital were happy with the proof that I had insurance. I then spent 5 or 6 weeks in that hospital before being shipped back to the UK via BA (First Class with 3 seats as I was in plaster from hip to toe).
snow report
Samerberg Sue, I wonder if it makes much difference if you pitch up at a private doctor at the bottom of the slopes or to a 'state' hospital \ clinic ?

Certainly the private clinic in France wasn't interested in sorting additional treatment. Now I know the process I'd probably be up for 'local' treatment were it to be offered. I doubt it would be 3 weeks in hospital now ?
snow conditions
AndAnotherThing.., I went to the local hospital and had excellent treatment. Shame it then became a battle once I was repatriated to the UK and ended up with the implant in my ACL snapping twice before I persuaded my surgeon to use the then relatively new Patella tendon graft (Gazza had just had it done and I read up on it after watching a TV programme on it). When the same thing happened to my left knee in 2006, I was close enough to my home to come back and use my industrial injuries insurance here in Germany.

A private clinic in Sölden were all for operating on a knee when I tweeked it in 2009, just to see what was going on! As I knew there was not a lot for them to see/do, I declined, not my insurer! Laughing And they were a pay up front with a credit card place. They would not contact my insurer first! Shocked
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, eak !
latest report
Quick update for some of you that may not know........

Not so much like father, like son; but like father, like daughter !

She's out in Tignes on her second season and on Xmas eve went to the park, did a jump, looked back to see her mate and went over, and in her words heard a feckin loud "pop".

As this was all over Xmas luckily there was no one in head office that demanded she returned home, and the team around her out there did really well by helping her out, and for the last couple of weeks she's been back at work.

We were out there last week, and good news was that she'd arranged for an MRI in Albertville on the Friday, I didn't attend as I was doing other more important stuff (see vid link below), and my other half went along.

The MRI cost 69 euro which she can claim back, and she's been having physio out there as well, though as she has chicken legs with no muscle it's much tougher for her than it was for me, and knee has collapsed a couple of times.

Doctor on Friday has confirmed a complete rupture and I'm now taking hard copy images and CD to my knee consultant for confirmation, and we'll start the process of getting her on the list for an NHS op when she returns after the season finishes.

She's going to be far more happier working out there, even though she can't ski, as she's with a great bunch of mates rather than moping around back home. And she'll be doing far more walking around and stuff than she would if she was at home, only issue is that she has to be careful when walking around on the ice. I took ice grippers out for her and she's found that so much better.

As for me, my knee is still no way 100% (still wearing my brace), as I've done some other stuff me thinks, but I was skiing hard and fast with no real worries on piste, though was a little concerned that I had my bindings on quite a low din setting which was more as a precaution for the off piste as I'm still lacking in confidence a little when it comes to crud, but good news was that as it was so cold snow was not heavy, though we did encounter various snow pack off piste.

Little bit of skinning and skiing getting away from the hordes and finding some fresh from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/57785822
snow conditions
Weathercam, good luck to her, I hope you get her on the waiting list OK for NHS op OK. Sounds a sensible plan.
snow report
Weathercam, 69 euro for a MRI - can't complain at that ! Hope she gets it sorted soon.
snow conditions
And just in from my friendly knee surgeon after I dropped it all off at the hospital yesterday !

Hello. Sorry to say but definitely a complete ACL rupture. Medial and lateral collaterals are good. Patello femoral joint has excellent articular cartilage, well positioned patella. PCL is normal. Quite extensive bone bruising indicative of quite a lot of energy absorbed by the knee (probably more than a blue run)
Meniscii are good.

In summary an isolated ACL complete tear.

So hopefully we can get the referral sorted, only issue is the pre op ?
snow report
Weathercam, well that's good news that it's an isolated ACL complete tear and that everything else in good shape. That's exactly the position I was in and my knee really does feel 99.99% normal (I'm leaving off the 0.01% as it made a nice clicking noise when I got out of bed yesterday, although it feels absolutely fine).

Glad to hear she's managing to get on and enjoy herself with her friends in France. Will she carry on with the physio there?
latest report
As for me... I'm just getting ready to go out for another lesson. Have been told I have to swap my skis for intermediate ones now as the beginner ones are too soft for what I'm doing, but I'm staying on piste and keeping my bindings loose!
snow report
Same here thankfully mine was a nice(?) clean ACL rupture. That is good news and encouraging for a good recovery
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy