Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The snowHeads ACL rehab club !

Poster: A snowHead
AndAnotherThing.., yes fine, my physio took my bandage off today to have a look and to massage my knee (my favourite kind of physio session today - full leg massage only) and from what I could tell through the tape, they seemed to be much better than the other day. Not sure what the no stitches thing is about but I suppose they know what they're doing!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which leg did they operate on then?? HA !

I think after week three it looks pretty damn good. In the second pic, why did you need an incision towards the top of the thigh?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
miranda, I'm waiting in hope for a physio session like that wink Must be because you are 'private' !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AndAnotherThing.., she's lovely and I think most people (well mainly men) would happily pay her 15 euros for a full leg massage irrespective of whether they'd had knee surgery Laughing That is the protocol for the first couple of weeks here - home visits that are alternate massage and light exercise (which you are of course supposed to be doing on your own anyway) until you are ready to go to the studio and use the kit there (exercise bike, wobble boards and so on) but my other physio that I had for the prehab used to always give me a massage at the end of each session too - he was also nice Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Libertine, I don't know what that one was for. It was the smallest of the lot and had almost healed when the dressings came off.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So, I thought I'd update with the confession that I had my first moment of "oh, this is a bit rubbish actually" yesterday. I thought I was finally free of my Nora Battys, but discovered I still had 6 more days of them (and 6 more injections and another blood test) to go.

Also, our farmer neighbours asked OH if he'd like to to help walk the cows up the mountain next week to their summer home. I know this will sound utterly ridiculous to everyone else, but I would really like to do that (I'm new to this whole countryside thing) and it brought it home that I am going to be somewhat restricted for a while, and that my hopes of meeting up with friends at a concert at the San Siro and spending a couple of days in Milan week after next are too ambitious. I've given my ticket to another friend and told OH and co to go and have fun but to bring me back a really nice present!

I think not being in pain and being able to walk about really comfortably without crutches very quickly was actually starting to subconsciously fool me into getting ahead of myself, so maybe pain is therefore a good thing! Anyway, some nice food and a glass of wine on the terrace made everything good again but just thought I'd be honest as I know people are reading this thread who are about to go through the whole rehab process and I think preparing yourself for the fact that you'll have the odd moment of feeling blue is important - it doesn't last long.

Also, I genuinely forgot to take any paracetamol over the last day or so - that is how non-painful this experience has been, despite the fact I have retained full sensation in my knee - so really cannot complain! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Day 15 update:

I have not been wearing the Noras or a bandage for a few days now as the nurse said this was fine. Had a new physio this morning who couldn't believe I only had the operation just over 2 weeks ago from the way I was walking, flexing and extending. The surgeon this afternoon then bent my knee to about 130 and stopped and was obviously very pleased and said it was fine that I'd stopped taking painkillers a week ago. So, I was really happy and feeling like Wonder Woman, raring to get on the exercise bike...

...and then he said, ok, it's wonderful and now you are only to have a maximum of one physio session a week, you must not try to bend it any further, you can walk a bit on the flat but do absolutely nothing else. Shock He could see I was quite surprised and a bit unsure why I suddenly had to stop doing anything and he said I know you are active and you want to get going, but trust me you have progressed very, very quickly and the ligament is now healing and you must leave it alone for a few weeks if you want to get back to sport as fast as possible. I negotiated swimming, but gentle crawl legs only and with a float. So feeling both very happy that things have gone so well but a bit weird about the fact I can't do anything for a while, contrary to what I was expecting and obviously different from other people's protocol.

But I know he's very good and very experienced so I'm going to trust him. Yesterday was the first day that I could really start to see the muscle loss and I have been pretty slack about doing the ROM and strengthening exercises which is really silly but, if I'm honest, there's no escaping the fact that they are very boring. So, I'm going to set an alarm every now and then and do the strengthening exercises (leaving the ROM to the once a week physio) and sit it out until July the 2nd.

The great news is that the injections finally finished today! This was celebrated with a glass of fizz on the lovely sunny shores of Lake Annecy after my appointment Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
miranda, well done! I only got anticoagulant injections for the four days I was in hospital post-op, but have to wear Noras for 6 weeks (and I'm also on a daily 75mg of Aspirin, probably for life). Strange, different horses for different courses... My equivalent of your boring exercises is sucking air out of a plastic toy that makes a ping pong ball fly up a tube, supposed to be doing that ten times an hour and am definitely not getting round to it much. I think that going back to singing will be a better and more interesting bet!
Had some fizz last night too, went down a treat. Toofy Grin
Keep up the good work, my rehab sounds a doddle compared to yours.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica, gosh, Noras in a heatwave can't have been fun - at least that's passed now hasn't it? I have been very impressed with the care I have received here but the injections were a PITA (though not literally, thankfully Toofy Grin ). This last week I opted to switch back to having them in my stomach because my thighs were bruising so much, whereas the injections were just leaving dime-sized marks on my stomach. I had bought some arnica gel in advance for my knee, which I didn't need at all because it didn't bruise, so have been using it on the puncture wounds! It doesn't seem to have made much difference though Confused I possibly could have asked to stop them earlier because I was so mobile, but a close family member did have a thrombosis in the past so I thought best to see the treatment through to the end.

I hope you are able to get out and about and go for lovely walks on the common and also do some singing soon. I have decided that I am well enough to go to Milan - I still won't go to the concert but at least I'll get a couple of nights away with my friends and not feel like I'm missing out.

Really glad to hear you are fit for fizz already- you sound like you're doing amazingly well Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pedantica, Glad your op appears to have gone ok ? Sounds like the sucking was something Boris would come up with !

miranda, I know how you feel regarding the physio. I was told to knock it off by my sports physio on Monday which made me a tad glum, but having thought no doubt she's right. Still doing the exercises but much less walking and no jumping to the 'hard' versions before time.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AndAnotherThing.., yes, they are of course right, seeing it a million and one times as they have, unlike us. It was weird when he stopped bending my knee today and I wanted to say, "I feel like I can do more!" but he absolutely stressed that I shouldn't bend it any further than that even though I could and he kept saying over again that I could only have an absolute maximum of one physio session a week from here on... I think he felt the need to reiterate this instruction because he could tell that I was thinking there was no such thing as too much physio and had actually been worrying about how slack I'd been!

In some ways it's liberating though - for example, the reason I thought I couldn't go to Milan for a few days was because it would require missing two physio sessions and I knew I wouldn't do any exercise there... and now I've been told that I can't do any of that stuff anyway! Must stop slacking on the quad clenching and leg lifting though - boring as hell but finally seeing mismatched legs in the mirror is the kick up the bum I needed!

We must take the advice to slow down as a good thing - everyone says the rehab is really hard work, but it seems that making really good progress means the hardest thing about rehab is not doing any work!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
miranda, I'm pretty sure that your lovely "leg massage" is actually lymph drainage massage to reduce the swelling. And I have to agree it is by far the best part of the physio and rehab! Poor old AndAnotherThing.. has to lie there with his leg elevated doing ankle pumps for England to achieve the same result! Toofy Grin Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue, Yep, back on the ice too. The thing the sports physio picked up on was that the operated knee felt hot compared to the good one and is keen to get that sorted. That was Monday and there seems to be progress, but still a little swelling.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update - 5 weeks

Two weeks on and the knee feels 'lighter' allowing a more normal gait and is now comfortable at night. It's sore at times, sometimes at side, sometimes to front when under load and in hamstring area in recent days although I've now stopped the pain killers. I saw my NHS physio on Wednesday who was happy for me to move on to the next page of drills and OK'd walking. She didn't have a view as to an appropriate amount so I'm building back up and doing maybe 30 mins with a view to working up to an hour.

Interestingly the new exercises seem to include more rapid ballistic(?) leg movements (Flicks & Catches) plus 'light' jogging which is bit daunting. I think I'll be building up on those carefully but having tried a little it's not so bad. I guess the problem is it's easy to get into a slow mode of movement which becomes habituated.

The follow up NHS treatment is odd. My physio didn't recognise some of the exercises noted on the rehab sheet so we googled them on the day. She's never received a copy of the surgery notes or rehab protocol except the copies I acquired. The surgeon asked me back in 4 weeks but no appointment has come through as yet so I'll be chasing them on Monday. It's not a problem for me, but if you were the type to let things slide I'm not sure the outcome would be as good as it could.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AndAnotherThing..,
Quote:

the problem is it's easy to get into a slow mode of movement which becomes habituated.
That resonates with me!!
snow report
Pedantica, I was never one for running\jogging when I was fit ! Hope your recovery is going ok ?
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., glad to hear the knee feels lighter and is more comfortable. I can imagine jogging is quite a scary prospect... it does seem quite early at 5 weeks?

I'm just back from a few days in Milan, and went exactly 3 weeks after the op. The car journey was about 3.5 hours and I sat on the back seat with lots of pillows and my legs up the seat and I used the cryo cuff (which keeps the water cold for 3 hours) and was really comfy and no ill effects on the knee. Walked to bars/restaurants about 1km from our apartment on the first night - by far the furthest I have walked since the op and I felt it - it didn't hurt but my knee definitely felt pretty heavy towards the end of the walk home and I was worried it would be really swollen the next day (especially as it was 28 degrees) but a slight excess of prosecco was a good anesthetic and I iced it when I got in that night and it was fine. First real experience of stairs - can walk up them fairly normally, but coming down I can lead with the 'bad' leg but can't comfortably follow onto the next step with the good leg after about 4 or 5 steps so having to take them one at a time which is slow and boring.

Was wise to pass on the concert - The Boss was on for 3 hours 40 minutes non stop! His second longest concert ever apparently - there's no way my knee would have coped with that and thousands of Italians on the San Siro pitch!
snow report
AndAnotherThing.., haha, nor me! Yeah, thanks, a bit slow for my taste, but I guess I must be patient.
snow report
miranda, Glad it's going OK. 3h 40 would more thanI could cope with fully fit !!
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., well exactly - let alone run up and down a stage the width of a football pitch whilst singing full blast nonstop for that long.... amazing!

I too am not a fan of jogging/running... be interested to hear how you get on with it - my one aim at the moment is to be to be able to walk down stairs like a normal person... though I know i have to it all very slowly, despite my impatient urge to take the quick route and slide down the bannister instead!
ski holidays
miranda, The problem I initially had with the stairs was not enough 'active' flex so that the bad leg didn't clear the edge of the step. I seem to have done most of my rehab on the stairs !!
snow report
Hi folks,

It's great to see Miranda, Andanotherthing and Pedantica doing so well. My turn tomorrow, can't wait to get it done and get moving forward.

I've bought the cryo cuff, and the ice band, and also splashed out on the Kneehab which I've been using twice a day. I've got an automatic hire car lined up to collect on Saturday as I need to be able to get to my office from Monday. The one thing I'm not looking forward to is all this talk of Nora Battys, for 6 weeks, OMG! But, running in 5 weeks, I do hope so! Well ok, even if it is a light jog, how exciting Smile

Off to pack my bag now, including iPad, magazines, earplugs, biscuits, crisps. Feel like I'm going on holiday!

I'll catch up with you all when I come round Smile

Debbie
snow conditions
debbiem, Good luck Happy
snow conditions
debbiem, Good luck! Really don't think you'll have to wear Noras - think it's something the French have a penchant for - the only ones I could get in the French pharmacy were lace-topped no less rolling eyes (Pedantica was having a different - and might I say considerably more full on - operation than us so is actually being supercool about the whole thing).

My only advice - take every painkiller you can as often as you can at first and then work your way down - don't be shy of them! This seemed to have kept the thing pain free for me, but with all the ice kit you've got too (and make sure you use it as often as possible given the beauty of it is that it's much more convenient than peas) you should be fine.

Please do update when you come round! X
ski holidays
debbiem, all the very best!
latest report
debbiem, good luck and I would add to Miranda's comment re painkillers - if taking regular codeine, take regular 'jollop' too (ask them to prescribe you something gentle). Easy to end up with another problem while you are busy trying to get on with your rehab Toofy Grin
latest report
marmotte16, Laughing Yes, I was prepared for that event too but it didn't happen thankfully... there's no :phew: emoticon!
snow report
Morning all!

I'm alive and kicking Smile

Haven't seen the surgeon yet so don't know how it went but ok I assume. Didn't go to theatre until 2.30pm and then had a hard evening with my low blood pressure. I was expecting this as my normal bp can often be 90s over 50s and the anaesthetic brings it lower. I didn't manage to keep any water down so had a bag of saline overnight. But I was able to go to the loo in the night with my crutches, it's only 6 foot away! But last op last year I couldn't stay upright long enough to go to the loo with my low bp and ended up with a catheter so I'm well pleased that I've been to the loo.

I know they want to get rid of me today so I'm hoping I can get up and about but my bp was only 88 over something so I'm not sure how I'll feel when I'm out of bed. Think I'll drag myself into my chair and see if I can sit up for a start.

I'll update you later when I've seen the surgeon.

Deb
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
debbiem wrote:
Morning all!

I'm alive and kicking Smile

Very Happy

Hope it's good news from the surgeon and your bp is ok.
snow report
debbiem, Hope you are back home soon Happy
latest report
Another quick update, yes I'm very bored, I'm quarantined in here! The amount of patients being sick last night has led them to take precautions and quarantine the whole ward. I heard the surgeon outside deciding not to come in, the physio's been and a nurse has taken my bandage off, but once they've been in they're not allowed to leave the ward until the end of their shift when they have to change clothes before leaving, all very dramatic!

My leg's slightly swollen but not too bad. I've got five small dressings on around the knee so I can't see what's going on underneath them. Physio made me do some basic exercises which was ouch! It's very achy and stiff, feels like I've had my leg replaced with a lead weight.

They haven't taken my bp since early this morning, but I'm up and about, although I do feel queasy on and off, not telling them that though, or they'll never let me out!

Glad I brought a good selection of magazines, and thank the lord for my iPad Smile

Thanks for all your lovely wishes, they made me smile when I was feeling rubbish last night Smile

Deb
ski holidays
debbiem, oh crikey, you really don't need that! Do hope you manage to escape very soon.
snow conditions
debbiem, here's to a speedy discharge and recovery. Hope you are not quarantined for too long.
snow report
debbiem, oh, that doesn't sound fun. Hope you and everyone else in the ward are ok and you get to go home soon - and when you do, try to enjoy your time off on the sofa reading/writing/catching up with friends/watching films etc... it sounds like a long time at first, but it actually runs out very quickly!
snow conditions
miranda wrote:
it sounds like a long time at first, but it actually runs out very quickly!

so true !
snow report
Hey I'm home! It seems that no-one was infectious (they tested the sick!) and was just a coincidence that a larger proportion than normal had a reaction to the antibiotic.

Thanks for all the tips about pain, and the other issue which I'm aware may occur! I'm sticking to wholemeal foods and have senokot at the ready. I didn't seem to have much pain until they took the compression bandage off, then it started swelling. I didn't get any ice at the hospital and not much in the way of painkillers, only paracetomol. Whilst I kind of like to not take painkillers, by the time I got home I'd given up caring, I was in agony! I'm now sat with my feet up, the ice cooler on, and dosed with paracetomol and neurofen plus, and I may resort to the prescription strength co-codamol I have if necessary. Then I will need the senokot!

I saw the surgeon before I left, he used a bit of hamstring which I could tell because I can feel it pulling when I move around. He said he had trouble attaching to my femur as the bone quality was rubbish. He's going to recommend to my GP that I get a Dexa scan to see if it's just the knee bone from not being used or if my bones ared generally poor. But he said it was all ok in the end and he's happy with how stable it is.

So now to make myself do the physio exercises and keep on the move, when all I feel like doing is burying my head in the sand and wishing the pain would go away!

Still cant wait to go skiing again though, yay !!
snow report
debbiem, fingers crossed it's just underuse of the knee that caused bone issue - the main thing is the surgeon is happy with how stable your new knee ligament is!

You're not the only one who feels that way about painkillers. As I said, the French pop pills like there's no tomorrow and so I just went along with it (within the prescribed limits only) and felt no pain (and had some laxatives but didn't need them in the end and found drinking copious amounts of camomile tea seemed to keep everything normal). Your ice kit will really help too - use it all the time because it's designed so you don't have to worry about frostbite.

I know a couple of nurses and a pharmacist check in on this thread - any reason to endure pain rather than pop pills for a week or so (within the prescribed limits of course)? Too late for me now if the answer is yes, but I seemed to have survived thankfully (and stayed off the booze whilst taking them) Confused
latest report
Thanks Miranda Smile

It's official, I'm a wimp! This pain is excruciating even whilst I'm taking co-codamol and neurofen. My knee isn't straight and the physio says I must get it straight so I'm doing the exercises she gave me, but I'm not making any progress. I think it's gone stiff and bent whilst waiting around in the hospital yesterday with no ice and not sitting in a good position for it to be straight. I'm terrified that I won't get it straight.

It's really shocked me that the surgery is worse than when I did the injury itself. That was excruciating for about 15 mins the it was bearable pain for a few weeks, then discomfort, but this is unbearable all of the time. I am a wimp Sad
latest report
debbiem, you're not a wimp! You've just had full on knee surgery during which it sounds like your surgeon had a bit of trouble with the bone so that's bound to have made things more painful - I am the only person not to have found it painful and, believe me, the pills I was taking were much stronger than co-codamol (assuming you got the 8mg or 15mg stuff? I was on the 30mg stuff...)

You'll get your leg straight - I'm sure the goal on many rehab timelines is for full extension to be achieved within the first 4 weeks - that's what it said on mine anyway... you've been out of hospital less than 24 hours! I think they stress it a lot at first because they want to make sure you know not to deliberately sit in the wrong position and that you realise some effort is required whilst you are on your own at home to get it straight as soon as possible. But at less than 24 hours out of hospital I think icing, elevating and resting should be your focus...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 14-06-12 8:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
debbiem, Yep, the op was much worse than the original injury for me too.

Keep working on the exercises you have been given as they stress it's important to regain 'straightness'! However I've read a few rehab protocols and they vary on the amount of time that is expected in.

The good news is you'll have forgotten about the discomfort you are suffering now in a few weeks. Things improved for me very quickly with hindsight.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy