Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aspen 2012/13 - seeking advice from those in the know

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

Already trying to formulate our plans for next season and was just wondering if anyone could share some advice on how and who may offer the best option to book two weeks in Aspen. I have a decent (for Aspen, I think Sad ) from Crystal. Waiting for a quote back from Ski Safari. Ski Independence one was off the map a few weeks back. I don't know if anyone can recommend a particularly good company with extra specials and such, or if anyone knows of a good way to do it independently.

We can travel between mid-Jan to mid-Feb. Want to stay in Aspen, not right out on the sticks.

Also, is there a particular time of year when any of you feel may be the best time?

Cheers guys
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not much help, but I'm going over Easter and it's so easy to organise the only benefit of the T/O is if they provide a discount over independent.

I think the BA flight to Denver is the only direct flight (£600), a weeks hire car (£150) and will book accom depending on the prevailing conditions. At the mo (it's a blue sky forecast) I'm thinking of booking a couple of days only leaving the option of carrying on to Salt Lake.

The difficult bit is the lift pass. Window prices are crazy, Liftopia offers small discounts but includes 'meal vouchers' and some accomodations include tickets. Still thinking about that bit Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah, that's the draw to a travel operator. Crystal have said I can get 13 days for 9 by booking with them... £397 each which I think is pretty darn good to be honest. I was expecting over a grand
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

£397 each

For Aspen? Go for it.

This isn't a difficult place to get to. Flight by BA direct from Heathrow to Denver. Hire a car and you can enjoy Loveland, Arapahoe, Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Vail and Beaver Creek on you way to Aspen.

We did it in 2010 by first stopping at Vail, then Carbondale (for Aspen) and then back to Silverthorne. We even managed to drop in to Denver for half a day sight seeing.

Carbondale is 30 miles from Aspen but on a fast road. It was a preferred location by many athletes competing in Aspen. The best approach we found was to drive to Buttermilk and take the ski bus there to Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highland and Snowmass. The four areas of Aspen are all unlinked. The Snowmass is the biggest and is definitely a place to be.

All the above Colorado skiing resorts except vail have purposely built car parks "outside" the resort and free ski bus to take to the lift stations. If you hire a car you can have a wider choice of accommodations and able to ski all of them. All of the above except Aspen lie along a highway of from 50 to 100 miles from Denver. Aspen is 200 miles from Denver.

Colorado resorts, except Loveland and to certain extent Arapahoe too, are all premium grade so enjoy them. Just be prepared for the 40 to 80% more expensive than the Alps ski passes. If you ski the above resorts getting a Epic seasonal pass is actually cheaper! as it covers all except Loveland, Copper Mountain and Aspen. The Epic ski pass enables the holder a discount at Copper Mountain too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for the reply. We have skiied Colorado before, spending a week in Breckenridge and a week in Vail, whilst also skiing Beaver, Arapahoe, Keystone and spending three days in Denver. We loved it! However, for this trip we just want to enjoy Aspen. We quite like the idea of the tour operator which would also mean we wouldn't need a hire car (good, as we like après Smile ).

Are there operators who are particularly well known for this resort?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shenryo, We did a DIY trip about five years ago, flying straight into aspen via chicago with BMI , great transfer time ( about 5 min to hotel) . But the flights alone will cost you more than double your £397.00 . Bite their hand off at that price !!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crystal sounding good. We can do two weeks with them, everything in, flights, transfers, x2 lift passes, 5 day lessons for partner, central nice location with brekkie in, for under 5k... Don't look like we can do much cheaper Shock
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shenryo, Sorry if I am being thick , was £397 the lift ticket price ?????, thought that was a cheap package trip !!!

Worth looking at a two centre trip basing yourself in aspen itself first then move to some great value accommodation over in snowmass, DIY was simple to put together but packages seem to be better value ATM , and a bit more protected money wise .
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hahaha, I wish! 397 is the price of lift pass.... Each Shock
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shenryo wrote:
Hahaha, I wish! 397 is the price of lift pass.... Each Shock

Just paid about 440 Sad I would urge anyone skiing NA for more than a week to book passes early and check out all available deals in particular season tickets which are cheaper than 2 week tickets, you live and learn.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PM me specifics?

I done two whole seasons there in the 80/90's & many trips since.

Easter is the end of US (colorado)skiing,that's why you get cheap deals. The snow is generaly slush,towns are closing down & general sense amougst the workers looking at there watches "this is mexico time"

You been warned!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
PM me specifics?

I done two whole seasons there in the 80/90's & many trips since.

Easter is the end of US (colorado)skiing,that's why you get cheap deals. The snow is generaly slush,towns are closing down & general sense amougst the workers looking at there watches "this is mexico time"

You been warned!

Easter end of Colorado skiing??? Shocked

I'll excuse you for memory laps, given it was 20+ years ago! rolling eyes

Easter for both 2012 and 2013 are literally the prime of storm season! You'll be really unlucky to be seeing any slush, except at the airport perhaps.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shenryo wrote:
Thank you for the reply. We have skiied Colorado before, spending a week in Breckenridge and a week in Vail, whilst also skiing Beaver, Arapahoe, Keystone and spending three days in Denver. We loved it! However, for this trip we just want to enjoy Aspen. We quite like the idea of the tour operator which would also mean we wouldn't need a hire car (good, as we like après Smile ).

As nice as Aspen is, 2 week is stretching.

You could consider Telluride for 4-5 days for a change.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah? We heard it would be good for a fortnight. How far is Telluride?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shenryo, two weeks spread over the four hills , with a couple of days away from resort, maybe getting into the backcountry on a snowcat tour , or even walking down some of the winter paths by the rio grande , would be a great trip and no need to travel elsewhere , i could spend a month there and still not get bored !!!
latest report
Deffo wanna do a snowcat tour if I can. Think in happy to be there or that long.
snow report
shenryo wrote:
Yeah? We heard it would be good for a fortnight. How far is Telluride?

I was in Telluride last week.

Denver to TRide in good weather drive takes 7hours

SnowPak was not a s good as last season. When I left they were just getting a storm which dumped around 17 over a couple of days."
snow report
Would like to ski there at some point. Good skiing I guess?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy