Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go ahead for Jumbo Glacier Resort, BC

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Jumbo's got the go ahead, but remains controversial. The saga continues...

http://www.jumboglacierresort.com/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/bcs-jumbo-glacier-resort-approval-revives-its-opponents/article2375333/

http://www.theprovince.com/business/Jumbo+Glacier+resort+faces+uphill+battle+despite+green+light+from+province/6331863/story.html

http://www.thefreepress.ca/news/143675596.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mmm first ive heard about the place .
panorama is one of my favorite resorts , and when ive skied there in the past ive often thought how underdeveloped the area is .
i guess access to resort would be up the toby creek road .
as a avid skier im excited by this prospect of a new resort and think the area is very underated especially internationally .
but in a depressed global economy and seeing investment promised and never realised in most of the columbia valley resorts ,
my fear is that this will end up another overlooked bc resort .
who,s the backer behind this ?
there has been talk for years about the extension to the cranbrook airport runway to allow international flights to go straight into
cranbrook rather than calgary .
but recently in the uk we have seen the loss of the thomas cook charter flights to canada by inghams which lead to and increase in prices
to canada .
i hope that the uk tour operators will pick up on this news , and start looking at the area again with renewed vigour.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
f1l, like you I rate Panorama as one of the best places to ski that I've ever found due to the fabulous gnarly tree skiing it offers; having said that, it's the only resort in BC that I've ever tried so there might be better in the area. Looking at the travel guides and talking to friends who've been, though, all of the resorst in that part of the world have serious drawbacks that hold back mainstream international appeal: Fernie is low and often suffers from rain; Fernie, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke and, to a lesser extent, Panorama have fearsome reputations that intimidate most British lovers of groomed runs; Kicking Horse has a dysfunctional lift system; Banff / Lake Louise have require a bus ride to the slopes; all resorts are small and have little appeal to the beer-drinking crowd; Revelstoke, White Star and Big White are very remote from the UK; Panorama and Kimberly have very long transfers from Calgary; and all areas are very small by Alpine standards.

Those drawbacks mostly don't matter to me, but I recognise I'm unusual. I have a bad feeling that the Jumbo development, if it ever raises finance, will stall in a partially complete state and suffer similar problems to its neighbours. I would have thought that a much better business proposition would be to develop an existing resort like Panorama by greatly extending the lift capacity, ski acreage and - especially - the availability of groomed runs for intermediate skiers. Starting from scratch in an even more remote location seems unlikely to succeed in attracting the mainstream family and intermediate market.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonny Jones, you should definitely get up the road to KH but the lift system is a bit of a ballache. I'm sure they had originally intended to have a midstation for the gondy but that never panned out.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmmmm. The plan to develop Jumbo's been grumbling along on and off for years. I don't see anything happening soon.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonny Jones wrote:
all resorts are small and have little appeal to the beer-drinking crowd; Revelstoke, White[Silver] Star and Big White are very remote from the UK

I consider these to be among their most positive attributes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
uktrailmonster, me too. But the beer drinking crowd help pay the bills and generally keep away from the slopes I want to ski so they don't really bother me
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The only good things to come out of Canada in recent years have been Avril Lavigne and shale oil.

They need to start building and stick 50 lifts in there rightaway so I can ski a new resort.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold, All the better if you're not there too troll boy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonny Jones wrote:
f1l, like you I rate Panorama as one of the best places to ski that I've ever found due to the fabulous gnarly tree skiing it offers; having said that, it's the only resort in BC that I've ever tried so there might be better in the area. Looking at the travel guides and talking to friends who've been, though, all of the resorst in that part of the world have serious drawbacks that hold back mainstream international appeal: Fernie is low and often suffers from rain; Fernie, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke and, to a lesser extent, Panorama have fearsome reputations that intimidate most British lovers of groomed runs; Kicking Horse has a dysfunctional lift system; Banff / Lake Louise have require a bus ride to the slopes; all resorts are small and have little appeal to the beer-drinking crowd; Revelstoke, White Star and Big White are very remote from the UK; Panorama and Kimberly have very long transfers from Calgary; and all areas are very small by Alpine standards.

Those drawbacks mostly don't matter to me, but I recognise I'm unusual. I have a bad feeling that the Jumbo development, if it ever raises finance, will stall in a partially complete state and suffer similar problems to its neighbours. I would have thought that a much better business proposition would be to develop an existing resort like Panorama by greatly extending the lift capacity, ski acreage and - especially - the availability of groomed runs for intermediate skiers. Starting from scratch in an even more remote location seems unlikely to succeed in attracting the mainstream family and intermediate market.

I was suprised to hear so many British accents in Jasper and Banff over the weekend. Loads of British families here. Great spring skiing conditions too...

The Ski School in Marmot also had an influx of British Schools partaking in lessons... one lot from Kings...all excellent skiers.

The great thing about Canadian resorts are they are generally less crowded than European, less expensive, snow sure and don't attract the yob culture. Back Country is awesome and pistes well groomed... and very good race clubs.

I much prefer it to Europe now.... Yes, you don't get the mileage of the big resorts... but what you do get is quality.
All imho of course....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Loads of British families here

They may well live here. Calgary is stuffed full of brits. My work has more brits than canadians.........
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy