Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: St Jean d'Arves, Les Sybelle Feb 12

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Resort: St Jean D'Arves
Domain: Les Sybelles
Author: Katedenhaag
Date: 11th - 18th February 2012
Our holiday: 2 Families- 3 kids aged7,8 and 9

Basics : Small village in the Maurienne Valley - we drove stopping a couple of hours south of Calais on Friday night

Lift system : Not that sophisticated but some of the drag lifts have been replaced by chairs in recent years - slow chair and zero queues good trade in my book!

The terrain : Good for intermediates - plenty to keep the kids entertained with lots of bits to the side for them to play on. Scope for our nervous skier to ski with the group for an afternoon and cover some ground. Wouldn't be racing there for an adult week away - fantastic place for our group though!

The resort : Tiny! Think the village is quite spread out - we stayed in La Chal bit near bottom of the lifts. We self catered so lovely bakery and small supermarket was all we needed (and pastries were fantastic!!) Not sure one would have wanted to eat out much as not much choice! Big compromise for us was choice of tuition available - just ESF. For the kids this was fine - I put them down a level compared to one that would have stretched them to ensure they felt confident as they were only English speakers in group (and not together as different abilities). This worked v well and they had a fab time - first time ESF group lessons worked for them (we tend to do private lessons as a rule). Adults didn't have the same success - I fancied doing a higher level group course but there was no 9-11 course available for anything over a beginner and no point being in lessons when kids not. More of an issue was that trying to book private lessons for our 2 less confident skiers (one of whom had been reduced to tears in an LDA ESF course previously so really didn't want a group lesson) was nigh on impossible.... they managed 1 2 hour session. What I did realise too late in week to do anything about it was that Le Corbier was a much bigger centre than St Jean and I might have had more luck booking private lessons there.... next time!

Food : Fab as we cooked it ourselves

Accommodation : Stayed in La Fontaine du Roi appts - fantastic value for money, huge appartment, nicely kitted out, wood-burning stove, lovely balcony looking out over villlage and 2 bathrooms. Pretty much ski in -ski out... 2 min walk to edge of piste. Not much more 2 families could ask for!

Costs: Very reasonable - family pass for a week incl insurance was about €700. 3 bedroom apt ~€1250

Conclusion: We had a such a fab time - was a fantastic option for half term when Paris half term is a different week as complete lack of people there allowed a huge amount of skiing to be done even if not on most challengin terrain. Great family resort.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy