Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time to ski to lesson at Les Gets

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Les Gets for the first time this weekend and looking forward to a week of skiing, staying in the La Turche area at the bottom of the blue Vorosses run (hopefully a nice location). I've booked a lesson for the first day, it starts at 9:15am, meeting at the top of the Chavannes chair lift.

Rather than walk to the chair lift I thought it would nice to ski to the meeting place, would help to get my ski legs on before the lesson. It looks like I could take a couple of lifts and end up skiing down the blue Gentiane run to the meeting place instead….

Couple of questions, should I instead just walk to the cable car, or is there enough time (and do the lifts start early enough) to take the lifts and ski to the meeting point? (I'm no Hermann Maier...)

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
crypto, can't remember what time the poma opens at the bottom of Vorosses (yes good location Very Happy ) but probably best to traverse/walk across to Perrieres Express chair, up that, down the blue (keep left and keep speed up) to bottom of Nauchets Express. At the top you will join Gentiane piste to the left. The slight trouble here is that to access the area at the top of Chavannes Express you need to ski down and stop at first 'junction' and walk up a bit. Not far, just be careful as traffic will be coming other way.

The other less exciting option is to get the ski bus into the village and be on the Chavannes Express first thing. But then you won't have warmed up wink

I will see if I can find out what time the La Turche lifts open.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
crypto, check where exactly you are meeting? Chavannes Express is a chair from the village. The Red Eggs bubble starts at the same place but only goes as far as the mid-station.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

crypto, check where exactly you are meeting? Chavannes Express is a chair from the village. The Red Eggs bubble starts at the same place but only goes as far as the mid-station.

I'm not sure, and slightly worried now! The confirmation email just mentions:

Go to the top of the Chavannes Gondola. As you exit the top station directly ahead is a red fence. On top of one of the fence posts is a beach ball with ESF written on it. The instructor will wait for you here.

Is this the Red Eggs bubble or the express?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
crypto, the Chavannes Gondola is referred to as the Red Egg and that will take you up to the area on the Chavannes where there are a few restaurants. You could take the bus into the village from La Turche. It leaves at about 8.15 - 8.20, comes up to the school and lake area at 8.35 and should be down at the bottom of the lift station at 8.30 - you will then be in plenty of time for the lift opening at 8.45. Alternatively do it half an hour later and be there at 9 but you may have a longer queue by then. If you are up there in good time you may have time to take the Croix chair up and just do a run down the Chavannes at least.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
crypto, the Red Eggs is the bubble not the Express. Nice spot you have though, that's were we stayed for our first visit to Les Gets.

Starting at Perrieres chair or La Turche button lift (or whatever it's called) you have at least 10 minutes skiing and 15 minutes uplift so you would have to be exceptionally lucky to be able to ski there by 9.15am.

Best bet is to be at the Red Egg by 9am. Even the Chavannes Express would be pushing it, as it's quite a long ride up and you'd then have a >5 minutes schuss down.

As a dull side note, this year I plan to photograph all the "banners" over the lift turnstiles so I can update my Google Earth piste map with all the lift data, including uplift times and elevations etc. Yes, I really am that geeky. But next year, I will be able to tell you this info straight off the cuff. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crypto, if Sunday is your first day don't forget that the clocks are changing that day.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok, thank you, at least I know where I'm going. I think I'll stick to getting to the bubble and not try to ski to the meeting point as it sounds like it'll be a bit of a mission. Will just have to mention to the instructor to not look at my skiing for the at least the first 10 minutes or so... Very Happy

andyph I like the idea of your annotated piste map, look forward to seeing it next session.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pamski wrote:
Quote:

if Sunday is your first day don't forget that the clocks are changing that day.

Thanks for the heads up, didn't realise the clocks when forward that weekend
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyph, you know that local kids have been known to change the little red and green clocks on the banners? Toofy Grin

Pamski, I knew you'd have ski bus info at hand Very Happy

crypto, enjoy your lesson and you will love Les Gets.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At half-term we got to 9.15 lessons at Chavannes from La Turche by using Pamski's method - with the 8.15-8.20 bus, not the later one. You're left with a longish wait for the chair/bubble to open, but at least you're at the front of the queue! A couple of times, for variety, we got off at the 'Lac/Ecole' stop and skied down from there. We found that the chair sometimes opened slightly ahead of the scheduled time (which was 9.00 when we were there) so there was plenty of time to get down to the lesson from the top of that.

As the Nauchets lift doesn't open till 9.15 (http://www.lesgets.com/medias/docs/glisse/horaires_rm.pdf), the other route doesn't work. Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowmum123,
Quote:

we got off at the 'Lac/Ecole' stop and skied down from there

that is the route that we usually use as its a very short walk up the road from our chalet and then we scoot down between the trees having gone past the school. When the snow is good then it all gets pisted up there - that started to happen about 2 or 3 years ago but before that it was sometimes a bit of nerve shatterer first thing in the morning particularly if we took people that way who were on their first day and hadn't skied for a few years!
Once the snow is not good up there we simply take the bus down as its so easy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
crypto, Another thought. Depending on what time you're arriving on Saturday, you might be able to fit in a run or two on the Turche drag before it shuts, to find your ski legs. I think they sell single tickets - maybe afternoon passes too - just for that one lift.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pamski,
Quote:

a very short walk up the road from our chalet

Lovely place to have a chalet!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowmum123, certainly is!
ski holidays
snowmum123, hadn't entered my head that Nauchets wouldn't be open Embarassed Laughing

I like La Turche lift. Very chilled (lifties and the lift itself is too) Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Lou, The Nauchets opening time is surprising, isn't it, given that the Perrieres chair opens at 9? But hey, it's France ...
Quote:

I like La Turche lift

So do I - when I remember to hang on tight on take-off!
snow conditions
crypto, hope that you got to your lesson ok this morning - and enjoyed it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy