Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Impossible job - can you recommend the perfect resort!

Poster: A snowHead
Ok - so I have now, at long last been described as having "intermediate" skills, but I can't quite accept this myself (no, this isn't an invitation to discuss the meaning of that word!). The problem is that although I do have a good growing "toolkit" on the slopes, I still lack confidence and when things go wrong & control slips away from me, I don't yet instinctively do the right thing to get it back. I therfore think I now need a week (prb at the end of January) without any lessons in an area that will encourage me to repeatedly practise the skills in a relaxed manner, ie on wide easy blues that aren't too challenging. Then I will feel ready to make more progress in the lessons I have planned for later in the season. Clearly I wouldn't be on my own, so the resort would need to suit everyone else too and therein lies the problem! So what resorts might suit these dreams?

1. Pistes: plenty of wide, treelined, easy blues but also somewhere that links into a wider area with a range of skiing for the more daring. (Remember YOUR definition of easy might not be the same as mine!).

2. Accommodation: ideally ski in/out FOR ALL OF US (ie on a green or VERY easy blue, or very very close to lifts) or accommodation that doesn't require lots of walking or poling on the flat.

3. Town: Flat-ish, easy-walking terrain resort to minimise the slip-over risks during non-ski time (2 of the party will be pensioners).

4. Transfer: Not too long a transfer from an airport that can be got to from regional ones here (we're in the north of Lincolnshire)

5. Cost: Good value for money (It's going to be a squeeze to fit it in along with a planned trip at Easter too!) but decent chalet/HB hotel. A couple of the others have a penchant for a bit of luxury!

Places that have been suggested to me include Les Arcs and Portes du Soleil. Comments from experience?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My Mum, who is pretty similar to you, loved the PdS last week. SkiWelt also worth looking into.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gratuitous self plug, but you did ask wink

Butterfly wrote:
Pistes: plenty of wide, treelined, easy blues but also somewhere that links into a wider area with a range of skiing for the more daring.

Madonna di Campiglio Details here

Butterfly wrote:
Accommodation: that doesn't require lots of walking or poling on the flat.

Hotel St Raphael (70m to piste) or Hotel Alpina (90m to piste)

Butterfly wrote:
Town: Flat-ish, easy-walking terrain resort to minimise the slip-over risks during non-ski time (2 of the party will be pensioners).

Maddona di Campiglio

Butterfly wrote:
Transfer: Not too long a transfer from an airport that can be got to from regional ones here (we're in the north of Lincolnshire)

From East Midland to Venice (3 hrs transfer)
From Birmingham to verona (2 hrs transfer)

Butterfly wrote:
Good value for money

Alpina Details here

Butterfly wrote:
a bit of luxury!

St Raphael Details here
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Butterfly,
For value for money in terms of quality of hotels Austria ranks pretty highly in my opinion, but there are very few ski in ski out hotels ther and they tend not to be at the cheaper end of the spectrum.
I don't know where you can fly fron Lincolnshire but Obertauern has some excellent skiing for most standards is very close to Salzburg airport and has plenty of ski in out hotels. By Austrian standards it is not the cheapest though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Butterfly wrote:
4. Transfer: Not too long a transfer from an airport that can be got to from regional ones here (we're in the north of Lincolnshire)..

It was fairly easy when easyJet flew out of East Midlands. But check out Jet2 from Leeds/Bradford - they may have something that suits. Also Birmingham is a fairly easy drive. That said, I frequently find myself flying from Stansted, Luton and Gatwick.
latest report
 cran
cran
Les Carroz, Morillon or Samoens.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Saisies - but the Hotel (the Calgary), whilst very good, is not cheap. There are no Brit-style catered chalets - this is way off the tour operators map - but there are some good restaurants and several rather beautiful authentic chalets to rent. Skiing in Les Saisies itself is much as you describe, for yourself, with a good range of progressive slopes, but with more challenge further afield within the 185km of lift-linked skiing throughout the Espace Diamant. Some good, not too strenuous, walking and snow-shoeing options and a very highly rated cross country area for anyone who would like to try something a bit different!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oberlech, Austria.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cran wrote:

I think Morillon would be lovely for you Butterfly if you could find the accommodation that suits you, it ticks all your boxes well. Probably Les Carroz too, though I've not been there. But I wouldn't recommend Samoens as the main lift is a long trek across town and the skiing there doesn't tick your boxes well enough IMO.

Also I would look at Montgenevre, some TO chalets with regional charter flights to Turin, also a couple of very nice new hotels. Lots of easy tree lined runs, ticks the other boxes too.

Courchevel would be really great too if you could find a good value deal.

Glad to hear you had a successful week Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

no, this isn't an invitation to discuss the meaning of that word!

aww Sad

Quote:

Les Arcs

Seems reasonable given your criteria as long as you say in 1600/1800 or peisey vallandry to get your trees closeby NehNeh

Also la plagne would fit although mostly higher and exposed (bar lower villages)

Both tend to be reasonably priced also
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

la plagne would fit

Is everyone skiing? Some parts of La Plagne would be pretty miserable for non skiers, I reckon.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Some parts of La Plagne would be pretty miserable for non skiers, I reckon.

indeed, i never consider them Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Butterfly, You've stayed in vallandry before if memory serves? Think that ticks a lot of boxes, the are some nice chalets there above th centre, althought the walk is not flat! My pensioner parents managed it.

Otherwise 1600/1800 as suggested
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I looked into a similar trip a few years back and Megeve scored well on the non-skier front.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In this thread: everyone recommends the resort they know best, or a resort in which they have a vested interest, regardless of its suitability.
latest report
Quote:

Megeve scored well on the non-skier front.

Difficult to find ski in/out in Megeve. It's a low town, and there's often little or no snow down in the resort, even when it's good higher up.

paulio, don't you think Les Saisies is suitable? I certainly don't recommend it to everyone; only when it fits. It's not suitable for people who want lots of challenging skiing, or lively apres ski, or English speaking group lessons, Irish pubs, a nursery to dump their kids in all day or stupidly expensive spag bol available in every restaurant. But I think it fits Butterfly's criteria quite well, if they are able to afford the only sensible hotel.
latest report
paulio, I dislike recommending anywhere I don't know and haven't been. I actually think Vallandry is suitable, the OP mentions Les Arcs as a consideration and Vallandry is part of the domain and has the best tree skiing and some very gentle runs. I have also been there with my parents and in-laws who are all 70+
ski holidays
Of the resorts/areas that I have been to, I reckon Portes du Soleil is the one. Very pretty (unlike may Frencg resorts), great skiing of all standards, not too much walking around. I stayed in Chatel both times (a bit dead nightlife wise), so perhaps a different resort in the area? Avoriaz, while ugly, may be good for ski-in, ski-out - anyone know?
latest report
Quote:

I dislike recommending anywhere I don't know and haven't been

indeed. Would be most odd thing to do. But I do agree that sometimes the knee jerk reactions are a bit daft (e.g. recommending Samoens to someone for whom ski in/out is a key requirement).

And the Portes du Soleil isn't a "resort" it's a huge area across two countries. Parts of it might be suitable, parts not.
ski holidays
Butterfly, Have a look at La Rosiere, there are good wide pistes , its an ideal resort for beginners or improving skiers to gain confidence before moving on to more challenging sking. There are over 150 kms of pistes in France and Italy and there are good ski schools in the village. There's a wide choice of accomodation, ski-in/out isn't really an issue because there's a very efficient free ski-bus service running throughout the village. The Toursit Office will be able to advise which areas have ski-in/out accomodation. The Village Centre is flat and there's a good selection of bars & restuarants with a reasonable amount of shopping. Geneva is the main airport serving the area and transfer time is between 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. The village offers great value with one of the least expensive lift passes in the area and food and drink costs are lower than nearby mega resorts. It also has some of the best views in the Alps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Courchevel 1650. Not really ski in/out, more ski to escalator, go down escalator, walk into accommodation. There's no options that are actually on the piste that I know of. Something for everybody, but the greens and blues there are great and tree-lined.
ski holidays
Les Gets ?
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
cran wrote:

I think Morillon would be lovely for you Butterfly if you could find the accommodation that suits you, it ticks all your boxes well. Probably Les Carroz too, though I've not been there. But I wouldn't recommend Samoens as the main lift is a long trek across town and the skiing there doesn't tick your boxes well enough IMO.

Also I would look at Montgenevre, some TO chalets with regional charter flights to Turin, also a couple of very nice new hotels. Lots of easy tree lined runs, ticks the other boxes too.

Courchevel would be really great too if you could find a good value deal.

Glad to hear you had a successful week Very Happy

Very interesting to read your comment Sarah! The OH and I are similiar (I think) in ability / confidence / fear levels to the op, and we've spent a week in Courchevel (1650) (Ski Olympic) in Jan and absolutely loved it, and have booked a week in Montgenevre in April with Nielson - hoping that we love it there too!!!
latest report
jellemr, thank you! Hope you like Montgenevre too snowHead

paulio, NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
Les Gets
snow conditions
Monium wrote:
Courchevel 1650. Not really ski in/out, more ski to escalator, go down escalator, walk into accommodation. There's no options that are actually on the piste that I know of. Something for everybody, but the greens and blues there are great and tree-lined.

Agree, it was 1650 I was thinking of when I mentioned Courchevel (although I think 1850's skiing would suit well too), I think there may be some accomm on the front de neige in 1650 perhaps?? A hotel I think and some apartments.
latest report
Slightly French bias here I think rolling eyes (other than Wayne), so thought I might give you some other thoughts which might particularly answer point 5.

I'm not sure about the flight situation, but from the resorts I have stayed in or passed through, what about anywhere in the Alta Badia area of the Dolomites? Certainly plenty of gorgeous blue slopes locally with easy access to more challenging terrain - not sure about the flat town though.
Or Zell am See? Probably fits the best of the resorts that I have been to.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone for the suggestions - personal knowledge is so good to have, incomparable to advertisers' bumph that's often rather economical with the truth and tries to make out that every resort is perfect for everyone. I will have a good Google around these and stick together a suggestions list - might be back to some folks to ask more questions though wink . It won't be down to me to decide at the end of the day but I know they will welcome ideas from me Very Happy

Travel -wise, I guess the options are Doncaster-Sheffield, E Mids, Birmingham. Beyond that Manchester, LeedsBrad, Luton, Stansted all really need an overnight stop esp for early flights. The train too is possible but we're a good way from London, so overnighting again is likely & hotel/parking of course adds cost! This year's trip was done from Humberside (15 mins from me); the flight was dearer but hubby dropped me off, so no hotel/parking. The other pain in the butt was the waiting around that it entailed - 2 hrs in Amsterdam, queuing to get into the Schengen area of Schiphol and then an even longer wait for the bus from Lyon & a change of bus in Grenoble. We were in Lyon at 11.15 am, but didn't make it to LDA until 6pm.

Freddie Paellahead, you're probably a really good judge of what'd suit - just think: "would Caroline like it?".

Boris, yes your memory is spot on! You gave me a super easy route to follow and we did pretty much that trip on our last day there. I remember it was fab! That's why I was wondering about les Arcs as the only downside to Vallandry was it being stuck out on the edge (the washing line was out of commission when we were there) and the evening route down to/from the restaurants was sheet ice.

pam w, yes all are skiers. 73 year-old and daughter/son-in-law who all are happy on any blue and will all ski reds if need be (he skis anything). Me, plus 65 year old friend who has skied a couple of easy blues but prefers greens.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not too much ski in/out but apart from that selva and corvara in sella ronda sound like a fit, lots of very easy skiing but challenges (even if just navigating!) for the stronger skiers and nice little towns to explore.

Avoriaz? Although not idea for non-skiers.......It has a very easy green right through town a terrified friend of mine loved and as long as you take the lift down the wall I see to remeber lots of very wide easy runs.

Rohrmoos side of Schladming? Took my mum there so fairly sure it's pensioner proof and the runs would suit.

Not tree lined but Val Thorens also springs to mind - we went there when I was a total nervous wreck and I remember loving it - bit easy green through town, and a plentiful supply of easy blues.

Valloire? All easy and reassuring slopes, flat village - can't remeber if there is anything for non-skiers though.

Les Arcs for the wary I'd head to 1950, the runs around there were my favourites in my nervous phase Smile

aj xx
latest report
I'd suggest one of the smaller resorts that is more family orientated and doesn't attract speed-freeks.

We went for a day to Albiez Montrond this year and found it very mellow. The whole place is a quiet zone and very tot-friendly! Hardly any of it is steep so it's mostly populated with beginners. It's pretty too with the Aiguilles d'Arves as a backdrop. The transfer from Chambery is pretty easy and there are Jet2 flights from Leeds-/Bradford. The village is right on the edge of the piste so virtually everywhere is going to be ski-to-door. However, the place is tiny. There's only 12 lifts and most of them are quite short. If you're looking to do different runs every day then this is probably not the place:
http://lesalbiez.com/

Have a look through this brochure which lists all(?) of the French resorts between Lake Geneva and the Maurienne Valley:
http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1313058761_SMB2011_guidStations_ok.pdf
snow conditions
altis, thanks very much for that link. For me a small resort like this would be just the job, but for the younger couple going it wouldn't. They like to zoom off and explore a wider area and do different places most days.

a.j., VT, yes I went there with an E o SB and agree it is pretty good - there's a nice easy green circuit via the 2Lacs chair and I did enjoy a couple of the blues a lot (Moraine especially). I might suggest that as it's 3 valleys so plenty of scope for others. The town's a bit of an uninspiring place though.

Can someone elaborate a bit on the various parts of Les Arcs in terms of staying there? I only know Vallandry/Plan Peisey. One site I looked at reckons most of their Les Arcs accomm is up steep, possibly icy paths, so mountaingoat-ness with light luggage is a pre-requisite.

[The reason I said the ideal would be ski in/out & flat resort, but really the key issue is ease for the older & less agile peeps of getting from accommodation to/from skiing and to/from a few shops, but of course also to/from the transfer bus with their luggage].
snow report
Butterfly - If you are thinking of les arcs hotel du golf in arc 1800 would be a good location. I think Montgenevre would be a better resort choice for what you are looking for if you can get a package with flights to Turin. The Hameau des airelles is good value self catering. If you want catered the new hotel Anova looks nice (haven't stayed there though - we like le hameau appts).
snow conditions
sarah wrote:
jellemr, thank you! Hope you like Montgenevre too snowHead

paulio, NehNeh NehNeh

me too!!!! any tips?
ski holidays
If you want somewhere a bit different we have just come back from Trysil, Norway and loved it.

report here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=88373&highlight=

The slopes would be idea for you - lovely tree lined greens in one area, and some good blues in another. The reds are quite wide and well groomed too, so boost confidence if you can tackle something a bit steeper. There is an area of blacks for the younger people.

Our chalet was next to the transfer piste - a little poling to start and then a gentle green down.

It wouldn't really suit party animals as eating out and drinking are very pricy, but there are some lovely chalet if you are happy to self cater. Food is twice UK prices, but everything else was reasonable.

Get in touch if you want to know more.
snow report
Butterfly wrote:
Ok - so I have now, at long last been described as having "intermediate" skills, but I can't quite accept this myself (no, this isn't an invitation to discuss the meaning of that word!). The problem is that although I do have a good growing "toolkit" on the slopes, I still lack confidence and when things go wrong & control slips away from me, I don't yet instinctively do the right thing to get it back. I therfore think I now need a week (prb at the end of January) without any lessons in an area that will encourage me to repeatedly practise the skills in a relaxed manner, ie on wide easy blues that aren't too challenging. Then I will feel ready to make more progress in the lessons I have planned for later in the season. Clearly I wouldn't be on my own, so the resort would need to suit everyone else too and therein lies the problem! So what resorts might suit these dreams?

1. Pistes: plenty of wide, treelined, easy blues but also somewhere that links into a wider area with a range of skiing for the more daring. (Remember YOUR definition of easy might not be the same as mine!).

2. Accommodation: ideally ski in/out FOR ALL OF US (ie on a green or VERY easy blue, or very very close to lifts) or accommodation that doesn't require lots of walking or poling on the flat.

3. Town: Flat-ish, easy-walking terrain resort to minimise the slip-over risks during non-ski time (2 of the party will be pensioners).

4. Transfer: Not too long a transfer from an airport that can be got to from regional ones here (we're in the north of Lincolnshire)

5. Cost: Good value for money (It's going to be a squeeze to fit it in along with a planned trip at Easter too!) but decent chalet/HB hotel. A couple of the others have a penchant for a bit of luxury!

Places that have been suggested to me include Les Arcs and Portes du Soleil. Comments from experience?

I would recommend one of best resorts in the world for you for to improve your confidence is Val Thorens. But unfortunately that will mean challenging some of your expectations.

1. No trees. But quid pro quo is fantastic snow. While rest of Europe is icy or slushy VT has lovely confidence-nurturing powdery snow. The treeline is low in Europe, unlike US, so you are fortunate to ever have truly good snow in these lower runs

2. It can deliver on ski-in-ski-out, one of best resorts around for this

3. I stayed half board but I think it is compact enough there. But if you have pensioners in your party, why not just do half board as well, there are some lovely hotels too

4. It is a longish trnasfer from geneva which I am sure you can fly to.

5. There are some high quality hotels here but VT is not Bulgaria

So 1 or 2 out of 5. But this is a fantastic intermediate resort with lovely gentle blues and nice easy reds where you will get confident picking up speed and not get bored. Think about it!
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
paulio, I dislike recommending anywhere I don't know and haven't been. I actually think Vallandry is suitable, the OP mentions Les Arcs as a consideration and Vallandry is part of the domain and has the best tree skiing and some very gentle runs. I have also been there with my parents and in-laws who are all 70+

Vallandry is west-facing and gets very slushy. Fine if you are gonna be going to 2000 for the day. I'm not sure it is suitable here
ski holidays
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
Slightly French bias here I think rolling eyes (other than Wayne), so thought I might give you some other thoughts which might particularly answer point 5.

I'm not sure about the flight situation, but from the resorts I have stayed in or passed through, what about anywhere in the Alta Badia area of the Dolomites? Certainly plenty of gorgeous blue slopes locally with easy access to more challenging terrain - not sure about the flat town though.

I'd second that shout as someone that normally goes to bourg st maurice or thereabouts to ski, then I absolutely adored my recent trip to the dolomites with the Inside out crew. Alta Badia would seem to tick quite a lot of the boxes for the requirements, definitely the runs are less demanding than french ones and the food is fantastic. For those that want a bit more of a challenge then a lap or two of the sella ronda is a good day.

No idea about hotels - whilst the albergo Frohsinn in san cass through montain sun ticks all the boxes for 'ski/in out' - it's not the most luxurious place to stay, but if you just want 2 square meals, a bar and somewhere to rest the head then it does fine.
latest report
Butterfly wrote:
(prb at the end of January)

patricksh wrote:
Vallandry is west-facing and gets very slushy. Fine if you are gonna be going to 2000 for the day. I'm not sure it is suitable here

At the end of Jannuary - I think you'd have to be very unlucky to find the main reds/blues down to Vallandry slushy at that time of year.
snow report
Breckenridge meets the first 3 criteria...not sure about the 5th when you factor in flight costs though. End of January can be cold but not as crowded as the spring.
snow conditions
I do not think I have ever seen a green run in the whole of Paradiski (Les Arcs- La Plagne). In fact there aren't any, I have consulted my piste map. If I were you I'd go for a much smaller resort, Austria or Italy maybe, this would also be a lot cheaper for lift passes. It doesn't sound as though your party are looking for extreme mileage or off piste so why pay for it?
Some resorts do discounts for Seniors. In Les Arcs it's age 70 +. In some resorts it can be as low as 60. This could save £200 each!

I would challenge the assumption that you will get better/more confident on your own. I would suggest that this is a good way to compound all your bad habits and rather than getting more confident you might scare yourself s***less, especially if it's a new resort and you get lost. If I were you I'd take group lessons (loads more fun than private ones!) in the mornings and ski alone or with mates in the afternoons.
In the meantime sign up at your dry ski slope (or snowdome - one near you?) for a regular lesson or practice. You'll soon be flying. Enjoy!Butterfly,
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy