Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jet2 winter 2013 just released. But ????

Poster: A snowHead
But

CHEAPEST seats (2 people) Manchester to Geneva for Half Term

£763-88
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Of course this doesn't include the card charges (ooops they are not card charges, they are administration fees wink )

Am waiting for the DIY'er to shout at me - but your have to admit, it's just a little funny - ain't it ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If/when I have kids I think I'll be taking them out of school to ski....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wayne, how many takers do you think they'll get? Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think I'll stick with BA... Ta very much. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

The flight will be fully booked.
Jet2 know it, that's why they charge as much as they do.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skisimon wrote:

Not if you live in Leeds you won't. No "proper" airlines fly direct to Geneva from either Leeds or Manchester.

I think Jet 2's prices'll come down when Easyjet release loads of flights from Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy from embsay wrote:
skisimon wrote:

Not if you live in Leeds you won't. No "proper" airlines fly direct to Geneva from either Leeds or Manchester.
I would indeed, even if I lived in Leeds. Currently I travel the full four hours plus from Plymouth to Heathrow (slightly longer than doing so from Leeds, according to the Trainline). Anything to avoid having to use budget or charter flights (unless they are part of a package). wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With kids? Really? If there was a decent low cost carrier from nearby (Brizzle?) why wouldn't you use it?

I'm considering a two step flight on Lufthansa or Swiss (which were about £150 this year), which you can do from Leeds or Manc, but the thought of an hour into Leeds (from out in t'dales), 2 1/2 hours to Kings Cross, then across London and the Heathrow Express and all to get a plastic meal and inclusive lugagge seems bonkers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy from embsay wrote:
No "proper" airlines fly direct to Geneva from either Leeds or Manchester.

You can fly to another airport near the Alps to go skiing you know ....

Kersh
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kersh wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

Kersh

Bit of a drive to Morzine though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Am waiting for the DIY'er to shout at me

No shouting here - I drive
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy from embsay, you're right, I forgot Morzine is the only ski resort. snowHead snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andy from embsay wrote:
With kids? Really? If there was a decent low cost carrier from nearby (Brizzle?) why wouldn't you use it?
I have flown from Bristol to go skiing (with easyJet if I remember correctly), and if the price is right I will again. However, I usually find that it's cheaper or much the same for me (once I've added on what I want, plus getting to the airport) to fly with BA, and I generally enjoy the experience a bit more too. Kids may indeed change my mind, I shall leave that decision to the independent parents though... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kersh wrote:
andy from embsay, you're right, I forgot Morzine is the only ski resort. snowHead snowHead

Course not. It's the only one I've booked for next Feb though.

Anyway - just booked 4 of us from manchester to geneva, 17-24 Feb 2013, including baggage (no skis) for £490 including "admin fees". Easyjet. Get in.

And then looked at the same dates from Leeds - £500 EACH!!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy from embsay, nice one! £500 each is a bit of a joke.
ski holidays
Kersh wrote:
andy from embsay, nice one! £500 each is a bit of a joke.

I was assuming it was a misprint - £360 Jet 2, £500 Easyjet. Manchester's about 45 miles away and it's £112 plus bags. Bizarre.
snow report
After this year, I'd rather walk than fly with Jet2 again
ski holidays
There seems to be so many of us in the south west, perhaps we should think about chartering or even starting our own airline??

How about a ski train from Plymouth? Last pick up Yeovil.
latest report
Scottish Scrutineer wrote:

How come? They're usually one of the better ones.
snow conditions
Scottish Scrutineer wrote:

How come? They're usually one of the better ones.
ski holidays
musher wrote:
There seems to be so many of us in the south west, perhaps we should think about chartering or even starting our own airline??

How about a ski train from Plymouth? Last pick up Yeovil.

No come on Sherborne

Sat at Bristol waiting for the e jet to Innsbruck
Happy days
snow report
Return Leeds to Salzburg in January (just thinking ahead!) is £172. That doesn't seem especially cheap to me. Is that as good as it gets? I'm guessing the cheap flights bubble has burst.
ski holidays
skisimon wrote:

I usually get TWO return flights to the Alps for two of us using Airmiles/Avios.
Still check out Lufthansa/Swiss as they can be cheap as chips on some flights, and no ski carriage charges.
BA (Avios) still better value than Jet2/EasyJet/Ryanair if you got skis/baggage/bladder!

Swiss do MAN to Zurich, Lufthansa do MAN to Munich, as I'm positively untempted by Frenchie resorts now due to the increased costs of using Roubles! wink (Notwithstanding that Gallic disinterest in the English, and a rather less than welcoming if non-existant "entente cordiale" I've experience in recent seasons in a number of what used to be really great places to ski).
ski holidays
Wayne wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

The flight will be fully booked.
Jet2 know it, that's why they charge as much as they do.

they wont be filling the plane on that price alone though
ski holidays
queen bodecia, we only paid about £100 each Jet 2 for Feb flights Manchester to Chambery. I couldnt find anything wrong with Jet 2. Nice clean plane, chatty/informative captains and they let us on the plane even though we ARRIVED at the airport 45 minutes after it should have taken off (airport door to take off about 20 minutes) Smile
snow report
Dec 22-29, Jet2 Leeds to Salzburg return, approx £235

EJ Liverpool Salzburg, same dates £58

I know where my extra hour drive would take me
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, thats a fab price for Christmas week! Tempted to book it Laughing
latest report
I know Jet2's finance ditector - must ask him if he's confident in his pricing model! You could have got Leeds Geneva at any point up until the day of departure this half term for less than they're quoting 10 months ahead.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
theskibob wrote:
skisimon wrote:

I usually get TWO return flights to the Alps for two of us using Airmiles/Avios.
Still check out Lufthansa/Swiss as they can be cheap as chips on some flights, and no ski carriage charges.
BA (Avios) still better value than Jet2/EasyJet/Ryanair if you got skis/baggage/bladder!

Swiss do MAN to Zurich, Lufthansa do MAN to Munich, as I'm positively untempted by Frenchie resorts now due to the increased costs of using Roubles! wink (Notwithstanding that Gallic disinterest in the English, and a rather less than welcoming if non-existant "entente cordiale" I've experience in recent seasons in a number of what used to be really great places to ski).

Not knowing much about SwizzleLand, which resorts are within an hour or so of Zurich? I need to book a long weekend in Jan next year, and Swiss from Manchester rather appeals.
latest report
I used to fly Jet2 every year from Leeds or Manchester to Geneva or Chambery cos it was the cheapest, the flight times were good and the baggage allowance better than others. That was for January, Feb half term, March and April.

For the last couple of years Easyjet out of Liverpool has had 'em beat on price and times and the baggage allowance advantage has narrowed. At those quoted prices I can't see me reverting to Jet2 anytime soon.
ski holidays
Kersh wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

Kersh

True, but that route is usually the cheapest.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
they wont be filling the plane on that price alone though

Yes they will (most likely)

I have just booked a shed load (highly technical number wink ) of flight seats for the New Year – 30th December outbound to Venice. Not saying what the price was but I know that some airlines will be able to sell flights to DIY’ers for more than the total cost I charge for full inclusive ski trips, and the DIY'ers "will" pay it - on that point, I really am not sure why they will, but they will.

As for airline ticket costs, it works like this;

It all revolves around one thing – marketing. This (in the main) revolves around another three points, that some (still) don’t seem to understand; Price, Release Date and expected Demand.

I know I’m teaching my granny to suck eggs – but for those who don’t know, it works like this.

The basics: you can rent a plane (call it charter if you want) for around £24,000 from Manchester to most northern Italian airports. I’ll use the Italian costs as that’s what I’m used to dealing with. So you have a sector cost (assuming 140 passengers for plane) of just over £85.50 per person (don’t forget that sectors are per date – so you can fly back for free if you want). Of course this is plus taxes (which are very important as if we didn’t pay them our MP’s couldn’t get their expenses). Taxes (Outbound Manchester to Venice) are around £73 per PAX – this doesn’t include some other charges that “some” airlines call taxes, eg. Fuel surcharge, etc. So total cost of about £158.50 per PAX
Note PAX is used to denote all logistic strands provided, eg, Flight, Baggage handling, check-in desk rental, etc, etc.

Next, you have to break down the number of seats available into price bands (whilst still ensuring you get the just under £32,500 you want – unit sector cost + taxes (return). So, 10 seats at £xyz, 25 seats at £abc 25 seats at £efg, etc, etc. Now this is where the skill of the Revenue Generation Dept (that airlines have) comes in, as it all falls down if the income from the bands sold is less than the PAX costs. Don’t forget that PAX cost increase as the numbers decrease, unless you are “some” airlines, that will cancel flights for “operational reasons” if they ain’t making a profit.

OK then, release dates. This is simple. If you sell your product at £10 and the opposition is selling at £9, people will tend to buy the cheaper (all things being equal, which they aren’t with airlines). So you need to sell your cheaper band seats against other airlines more expensive bands.
This is why release dates are all important. Say you have 2 airlines and the 1st to release their dates start selling the cheaper bands at £10. These then sell out and they then start to sell the next band at £25, well the 2nd airline can then price their cheapest band at £15 and still be cheaper, thus increase the revenue per flight. Most airlines will assume a certain percentage of unsold seats and this will be worked into the sale price.

Of course there is a down side to this in that there are only so many people want to fly from point A to point B, so each airline needs to get the resale dates and band pricing about right or they’re (to put it politely, stuffed). This is where the expected Demand comes in. Dead simple. The more demand there is for something (eg. Seats to Geneva at Half Term) the more you can charge for them.

So the long and short of it is that Jet2 have worked out the sector cost and assumed a certain demand for their product bands, and they normally get it right as there are unlikely to be many empty seats on that flight.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 23-03-12 11:55; edited 4 times in total
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
Return Leeds to Salzburg in January (just thinking ahead!) is £172. That doesn't seem especially cheap to me. Is that as good as it gets? I'm guessing the cheap flights bubble has burst.

That still sounds good to me.
snow report
Wayne, thank you for the explanation, very informative.

As for why DIY'ers will pay more for the seat than a holiday, will that does seem bizarre, but from my perspective I like to be in control and do what I want and not what a TO wants. Of course I drive so irrelevant!

Not wishing to divert onto a DIYvTO or drive v fly, but an answer from me to the question
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, thats a fab price for Christmas week! Tempted to book it Laughing
It has just gone up £20 after us lot booked 10 seats (sadly not for my family but using our Easyjet price promise credit from last christmas' trip.
snow report
Wayne, good post
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:

That still sounds good to me.

I guess it's not bad. Problem is there aren't many flights to Salzburg from UK to choose from. Easyjet from Luton or Liverpool or Ryanair from Stansted (and I don't do Ryanair unless I only have hand luggage). No nearby airports sadly, Leeds is about the closest I think, but if Easyjet works out affordable including baggage/skis that might be worth a look.

I won't be booking for at least six months anyway.
snow report
andyfromembsay .... I usually hire a car and head out to either Lech or St Anton about a couple of hours even on a bad day. There is a train service from Zurich to St Anton which you can book online, but I've never used it.
BTW ................. I used to live on Brackenley Lane, but I've moved up t'dale to 'Ebden. Toofy Grin
snow report
Easyjet have gone nuts. Flight on 17 feb back on 24 feb, leeds geneva. Earlier today was £500 each. Now £75 each.

My £120 from manchester doesn't look so good now!
snow report
Nothing for London departures yet!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy